Good Shampoo?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
abbybaby2011
Adolescent Bully

Good Shampoo?

Postby abbybaby2011 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:12 pm

I bathe my dogs regularly, sometimes more often than others when they get really dirty. And I have tried a million diffrent shampoos, wipes, and sprays. But when Petey gets really dirty, i have to give him an extra scrubing or two, & he still stinks. Any suggestions on a good shampoo that will make it easier for him to smell better/longer?

Thanks In Advance??

AllisonPitbullLvr

Re: Good Shampoo?

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:18 pm

I LOVE tropiclean shampoos or earth bsth

ames
Newborn Bully

Postby ames » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:25 pm

my boy has sensitive skin and the Aveda Shampure and conditioner kept him smelling GREAT for a long time and soft, and its safe for dogs (http://www.aveda.com/products/5249/Coll ... 20shampure) . I used to shampoo and conditioner, but when I was trying to figure out what he was allergic to, I went to straight oatmeal baths. Get him super clean and makes him so soft and smell great. All I do is take a cup of oatmeal and put in a blender until it becomes a powder. I add about 2 cups of boiling water and fill up the tub and pour the oatmeal in. I soak him in the tub for about 15 minutes in the warm water and pour it all over his body careful of his eyes and pat him dry. Its works AWESOME and is sooo cheap. I may get back on the Shampure because that lasted longer, but I am trying not to change anything since I finally got him allergy free and regular, lol.

Odnarb

Postby Odnarb » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:42 pm

I'm a big fan of Buddy Wash shampoo.

Taffys_Angel
Bully Ambassador

Postby Taffys_Angel » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:19 pm

I use Vet Solutions Aloe and Oatmeal shampoo on Taffy. It smells awesome, and helped when she got nasty during her allergy outbreaks.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:23 pm

Odnarb wrote:I'm a big fan of Buddy Wash shampoo.

Buddy wash in Rosemary Mint is my favorite and bc it is herbal/bracing smelling vs fruity/floral it seems to cut the dog stank pretty well.

For fruity-smelling stuff, the Tropiclean Papaya Plus is edible-smelling, same with Mango Tango from Earth Bath. Yummy!

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk

abbybaby2011
Adolescent Bully

Postby abbybaby2011 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:37 am

thanks for all the suggestions

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:23 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:I LOVE tropiclean shampoos or earth bsth

:goodpost:

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:39 pm

Nature's Choice Dirty Dog is my go-to shampoo for extra nasty, stinky dogs I'm grooming.

Inaras mom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Inaras mom » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:39 am

The dog shampoo bars from here are the only things I use on Inara: http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/dogshampoo.htm . They're all natural and don't smell overpowering. They lather up REALLY well and the cedar/lavender one helps repel bugs.

MMSmith
Adolescent Bully

Postby MMSmith » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:17 pm

Is he outside a lot? My boy and I go hiking all the time, and he can get stinky really quickly. How often do you bathe Petey? Although this is not exactly the solution you're looking for, could you bathe him more often. I bathe Henry about every 2-3 weeks, even in the winter. Sometimes it's once a week in the summer if he goes swimming or gets into something nasty. I know that sounds excessive, but as long as I use gentle products it's fine. 48 hours is the norm for the coat's oils to come back, so as long as you don't do it that frequently it should be ok.

My dog is my baby and I can't stand it if he stinks. He sleeps in bed with me and goes everywhere with me. He always smells good and his coat is beautiful. I think part of the reason "non-dog" people don't like inside dogs is because they have the perception that all dogs are dirty and not well-groomed. Henry has totally converted any doubters and was a favorite visitor when I lived in dorms. The girls I used to live with would take him in the shower and then paint his nails. Once roommate told me once "I never knew dogs could enjoy being groomed so much!" Anyone who comes into my home is happy to share a hug or cuddle with Henry because him being clean and looking so snazzy makes him more approachable, in a way.

Just my two cents.

AbbyGirl352
Super Bully

Postby AbbyGirl352 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:22 pm

I like the Pet Head products. But my boys don't get very stinky, and are bathed maybe every 3 months.

abbybaby2011
Adolescent Bully

Postby abbybaby2011 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:35 pm

I bathe them once a month. And if he gets too nasty, I use wipes, or dry shampoo spray.

Apbt4life
Matured Bully

Postby Apbt4life » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:14 pm

i highly recommend Mane N Tail shampoo, not only is it good for their coat but also keeps it shiny and smelling good. :)

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:45 am

I like the Pet Head shampoos and the Bark2Basics shampoos.
BUT

What I've found is making a difference in the bathing fo me is he addition of a pouf net sponge.

It is perfect for doing their underside, head and neck. They don't seem to like so much the fingers making the suds, and also I hate it because I think that I'm not getting all of the areas I could be. Plus, you can make the shampoo carry farther since it will be in the sponge making suds.

Also, it's great if your 4-legged beast likes to roll in mud or other stuff. It can help to work out the small stuff.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”