Flexi Leads...whats soo bad about em?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
suzanne
Adolescent Bully

Re: Flexi Leads...whats soo bad about em?

Postby suzanne » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:30 pm

Like everyone has said, it's the uneducated people using them that make me really hate them.

I was biking with my dog a few months back and a woman was walking her airdale thing with one... we passed her, her dog came bolting up to my dog [we were across the street], the dog must have hit the end of he leash and totally pulled its owner over. It was a very intense and frustrating situation for both me and my dog, there was no way I could approach the woman to help her up, the dog was already at the end of the leash barking at my dog and I who stopped about 20ft away. My dog was totally charged up by the situation. I also know someone else who almost strangled herself walking her two pomeranians... not entirely sure of the details but she had rope burns on her neck and said she'd never use them again. Flexi leads are not for the faint of heart or the average dog.

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:00 pm

I can't use the one I have for very long because it fatigues my hand! (I've only used it a couple of times at the park) I can't believe no one else has mentioned that. And IF you are going to use one, be sure to get a quality one. We had a cheapo flexi first and I told DH not to let Ruby ding the end of the leash...well, he let her ding the end of the leash and ... plink it went!

kelii
Newborn Bully

Postby kelii » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:47 am

I agree with the hand fatigue! I absolutely hate flexis for most of the reasons already mentioned, but today I decided just to check them out just for the heck of it. I couldn't get over how uncomfortable and awkward they are to hold! I'll take the hassle of my 15 foot long line over that any day.

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MarMar » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:43 pm

A terrible video about the dangers of flexis!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbYlIpgQmis

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:07 pm

I use a flexi to potty Terra in the morning so I don't have to step off the porch while I'm in the middle of getting ready for work. And they're good for potting at dog shows and on road trips. I think a lot of people exercise poor judgment in when to use them. Like a lady the other day browsing at the store while her dog was wandering on the retractable, going around corners, etc. if you have nothing but open space around you and a dog with some training, they're acceptable. In crowded or close conditions, they're a recipe for injury.

chinchi_&_chupa
Super Bully

Postby chinchi_&_chupa » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:46 am

I read this in an article in our local newspaper last week:

"One of the new city ordinances that took effect July 1 is the requirement for a leash that will go out no longer than six feet. The officers have spent time at London Bridge Beach educating people about the new leash requirement. "

I was happy, but surprised! There are so many old people here who use these, it makes me crazy! We were swimming at the same beach mentioned and a lady had a Silky on one. The tiny thing was dragging her all over when the dog turned back toward her, then bolted toward us at which time the "leash" pulled out of the handle and the crazy little dog came over and was trying to get at my Chloé. Fortunately, Chloé listens pretty well and ignored the little dog while my husband picked it up...all the while the lady was just standing there screaming :po:

Megan
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Megan » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:59 am

I too use a flexi lead to potty the dog. We do not have any fencing, and it gives the dogs a chance to run around a little bit on lead when they potty and stretch their legs.

When walking, unless we are taking Grace down to the creek for a swim they are on a regular 6' lead. If we take her to the creek sometimes we'll walk her down on the flexi, or we'll throw her on the 6' and then switch her to the flexi.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:58 am

I have had burns and scars on both of my legs from two different neighbors walking a total of 5 small dogs on Flexi leashes! The dogs ran to see me and got all tangled/twisted around my legs,( while stoopid owner was trying to wheel them , they were still twisted around my legs) . It does hurt when your flesh is being torn/rubbed off by a Flexi

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:28 pm

I don't like Flexi's because I find them awkward to hold. I much prefer my 4' plain leather lead or my 4' with a "traffic handle". If I want more of a lead, I use one of my long lines. There are also way too many stories of people losing fingers or hands from Flexi leads. Also, if the handler drops the Flexi the dog can become panicked from the housing's recoil (it's "chasing" me).

They do have their uses, but they aren't for me. I don't find the cruel or abusive in any way, and with the right dog and handler they can be an asset.

I was in horses for almost 15 years. I showed on the hunter-jumper circuit and also dressage. I understand the want of "contact", but in dogs you want the opposite. It took me awhile to break my riding habits when I transitioned into showing dogs. The concept of "as little contact as possible" was foreign to me, and I had to re-train my brain. In the world of formal dog obedience, you get marked down (in some cases DQ'd) for a "tight leash". In the horse world, that is usually referred to "constant contact". In the dog world they want visible slack in the lead, but in horses you would be an idiot lol or very trusting of your mount.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”