Crates/cages - What size should they be?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
KanersHuman
Adolescent Bully

Crates/cages - What size should they be?

Postby KanersHuman » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:11 pm

While searching for metal crates i see "good for dogs between XX and XX pounds". I also see measurements. Aside from the obvious like making sure the dog can stand up and turn around. What else is important? Is there such a thing as too big? So lets say i have a dog that fits in 36 l X 20 w X 20 h cage and i go with 42 X 30 X30. Is this going to be okay? Any reason not to get extra space for them?

Curly_07

Re: Crates/cages - What size should they be?

Postby Curly_07 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:27 pm

When crate training, if you get a crate too large, the dog will use part of it as a bathroom. This is why you get one the correct size, or a big one with the divider panel that you can gradually increase the size of so the dog learns it's their "home" not an appropriate bathroom place.

KanersHuman
Adolescent Bully

Postby KanersHuman » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:36 pm

Awesome! That did occur to me when looking at sizes and now i know a use for the divider panel.

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:57 am

Curly_07 wrote:When crate training, if you get a crate too large, the dog will use part of it as a bathroom. This is why you get one the correct size, or a big one with the divider panel that you can gradually increase the size of so the dog learns it's their "home" not an appropriate bathroom place.

No. Dogs will pee and poop in a crate because either they are not trained to go in an appropriate place or they have been left in the crate far too long. Both are owner issues, the latter would be considered abusive if done on a regular basis. Crates should be as large as possible and sizes not based on whether the dog will pee and poop inside. They should be used in an appropriate and conscientious manner.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:26 am

lilangel wrote:
Curly_07 wrote:When crate training, if you get a crate too large, the dog will use part of it as a bathroom. This is why you get one the correct size, or a big one with the divider panel that you can gradually increase the size of so the dog learns it's their "home" not an appropriate bathroom place.

No. Dogs will pee and poop in a crate because either they are not trained to go in an appropriate place or they have been left in the crate far too long. Both are owner issues, the latter would be considered abusive if done on a regular basis. Crates should be as large as possible and sizes not based on whether the dog will pee and poop inside. They should be used in an appropriate and conscientious manner.

I agree. I have put two very different puppies is a 400 Vari-Kennel without accidents but we were all on board about potty training.

If you are dealing with a dog that has a history of being a "dirty dog" or a dog straight from a dirty situation, it could vary.

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:42 am

FransterDoo wrote:
lilangel wrote:

I agree. I have put two very different puppies is a 400 Vari-Kennel without accidents but we were all on board about potty training.

If you are dealing with a dog that has a history of being a "dirty dog" or a dog straight from a dirty situation, it could vary.

Still no reason to put the dog in a small crate.

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:51 am

I never said small crate. Not sure what the hell you were reading. I was talking about using a crate for the appropriate size dog, then increasing the size once potty training has been successful. I've fostered and owned many dogs, and this is how I do it. You're acting like I'm talking about using the crate for potty training, but that's far from what I meant.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:03 pm

Ok, you win. 8l

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:22 pm

No you don't... sorry. I tried to ignore your outburst but it is so out there that it deserves a response:

Your post is way off base. I suggest you relax and look at what you wrote. Your whole post is based on the premise that one should put a dog in an appropriately sized crate, [read small], so that they do not pee and poop in the crate, which is based on the widely held belief that dogs will not pee and poop where they sleep. So... yes, in fact you did say to put the dog in a smaller crate regardless of whether it is sized "appropriately" according to the manufacturer or not. Manufacturers size crates based on boiler plate minimal guideline approximations that are based in part on the average minimal square feet it will take to preclude a dog of a particular size from soiling the crate. This, in itself, is an erroneous motivation in the design process.

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:00 pm

Wow...guess I'll explain myself to you. You have some good knowledge that I've learned things from before, but your attitude and such make it hard for one to really consider some times. I don't know if you're just picking at my post, or trolling.

One must take the dog out at appropriate times, as well as feed on schedule to eliminate when the dog needs to poop. While doing potty training, a dog will sometimes use their crate as a bathroom, rather than learning to hold it. Having a crate sized appropriately helps with them learning this is their "bed/quiet place", rather than an acceptable place to use the bathroom. I'm not saying cram the dog in a crate it can barely move around in, nor am I saying leave it there for long periods of time. Once a dog is fully potty trained and knows the crate is their space to relax, then it can be much larger.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:35 pm

I would go for the 42" at least for the puppies you are looking at since you don't know what breed they really are and how large they may grow. I think Ripley's crate is a 42", she's 60 pounds and has plenty of room. Most do come with dividers these days if you are getting wire.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:29 am

KanersHuman wrote:While searching for metal crates i see "good for dogs between XX and XX pounds". I also see measurements. Aside from the obvious like making sure the dog can stand up and turn around. What else is important? Is there such a thing as too big? So lets say i have a dog that fits in 36 l X 20 w X 20 h cage and i go with 42 X 30 X30. Is this going to be okay? Any reason not to get extra space for them?

Once the dog will not potty in it I prefer the bigger the better. There are several crates that come with dividers to assist with sizing properly for puppies.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:07 am

Adrianne wrote:
KanersHuman wrote:While searching for metal crates i see "good for dogs between XX and XX pounds". I also see measurements. Aside from the obvious like making sure the dog can stand up and turn around. What else is important? Is there such a thing as too big? So lets say i have a dog that fits in 36 l X 20 w X 20 h cage and i go with 42 X 30 X30. Is this going to be okay? Any reason not to get extra space for them?

Once the dog will not potty in it I prefer the bigger the better. There are several crates that come with dividers to assist with sizing properly for puppies.

Ditto!

Taffys_Angel
Bully Ambassador

Postby Taffys_Angel » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:26 pm

Adrianne wrote:Once the dog will not potty in it I prefer the bigger the better. There are several crates that come with dividers to assist with sizing properly for puppies.

Yeah! Those ones are awesome. I'd totally get one of those if I needed to potty-train a puppy.

I have several crates.... four actually. Even though I only own one dog and I got her as an crate-trained adult... :oops:

randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby randomroads » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:32 am

I'm on board with bigger is better so much that once I was comfortable that my dog wasn't going to mess in her crate I put her in an x-pen in the corner. It's bigger than any crates I could find and she's not limited by a ceiling. That might be an option you want to look at. I got a scrap of linoleum bigger than the area of the pen and put it down on the carpet just in case an accident happened or she decided to dig, chew, or she was exceptionally dirty and could stain the carpet.

It's not 100% secure like a crate, but not all dogs jump or climb out of pens and many of them are happy to relax with lots of room and toys.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”