looking for a 'pit bull proof' pet/baby gate

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
addieNmel
Newborn Bully

looking for a 'pit bull proof' pet/baby gate

Postby addieNmel » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:51 pm

Ok guys, looking for some good suggestions on the best baby gate / pet gate that you know of. I have tried a regular cheap baby gate ( x pattern ) and Addie climbed over it. I tried a pressure mounted 'top paw' brand extra tall gate ( with vertical bars), but it does not stay really secure on the wall, and when addie jumps up on it, it gets pushed down. When I have the screws all the way out to make it snug,you can't open the door on the gate. I thought about doing two regular gates on top of each other, but i'm worried she'd try to climb both and break her leg.

What have you guys had good luck with? I'm looking for ideally a pressure mounted gate, but if its not possible, a minimumly damaging perm. install. one. I need one she can not force over, jump / climb on or chew through. I've been looking online, but want to get some good reviews with people with energetic, strong dogs like Addie who have tested em before I spend big $ on it.

I appreciate the help!

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Re: looking for a 'pit bull proof' pet/baby gate

Postby GoingPostal » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:47 pm

I don't think there's a gate a pit bull can't shove through or jump if they are determined enough. What's the need? You can't put up a door or keep the dog in a kennel or crate?

addieNmel
Newborn Bully

Postby addieNmel » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:06 pm

Its starting to look like that might be the case! I've been working with a local trainer on door manners, and she suggested using a baby gate, rather than a crate to gate her to the back part of the house so she can't see the front windows to help reduce her house guarding. She has been in a crate and does well at agility trials, but seems to panic, even with lots of crate training when we leave. We had bene letting her loose in the house and she does great, but shes begun being territorial. We've been working on separation anxiety for a long time. She is a lot better than she use to be, but still has occasional issues when in the crate.. its a work in progress. Perhaps I'll try and put her behind a door in a room instead of a crate.

Good baby gate suggestions, however for putting one up when visitors arrive at least, would be helpful :)

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:41 pm

This is what I have:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... %2d%5f%2dN

You have to teach her to respect it as a boundary. One of mine can easily clear 8 ft, so this would be nothing to her to clear if she wanted...but I have taught her to respect it.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:18 am

I think that's the same one I have, but if you run into it or it's off at all it won't close all the way, I think she could still go over though, all of my dogs can if they really want to and the younger female will jump on it just right and can open it. You can put film over the windows to block her view and maybe something like a manners minder would help keep her distracted from the gate while you are training her to respect it. Have you ever tried her in an xpen? I have a tall one and all my dogs will stay in it although they probably could knock it over.

addieNmel
Newborn Bully

Postby addieNmel » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:49 pm

GoingPostal wrote:I think that's the same one I have, but if you run into it or it's off at all it won't close all the way, I think she could still go over though, all of my dogs can if they really want to and the younger female will jump on it just right and can open it. You can put film over the windows to block her view and maybe something like a manners minder would help keep her distracted from the gate while you are training her to respect it. Have you ever tried her in an xpen? I have a tall one and all my dogs will stay in it although they probably could knock it over.

Good idea. I'll have to work on that. I'll work on getting her to leave the gate alone and slowly increase the time shes left alone behind it. Perhaps I moved too quickly before, hense why she jumped over it after chewing on it for a while lol. I like the manners minder idea.. I had seen that at the vet conference last year and completly forgot about it. It might help keep her distracted.. I generally use a stuffed kong. I have not used an xpen before. I was thinking the same thing.. her pushing it over. If we can master the 'leave the gate alone' thing, we might be in good shape ;)

Thanks for the suggestions!

Maximus
Newborn Bully

Postby Maximus » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:52 am

Both my dogs wont even touch the gate after a little training. I have a jack russell [female 4months] and apbt [male 10months]

Studlintsean
Adolescent Bully

Postby Studlintsean » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:28 am

Curly_07 wrote:This is what I have:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... %2d%5f%2dN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You have to teach her to respect it as a boundary. One of mine can easily clear 8 ft, so this would be nothing to her to clear if she wanted...but I have taught her to respect it.

I ahev the exact same one and also agree that you need to teach boundaries. Our dog Bronx could easily push through the gate but has learned that when the gate is closed he sits on the landing or downstairs until it is open.

addieNmel
Newborn Bully

Postby addieNmel » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:43 pm

Thanks for the info guys.. We've been working on it, so far so good :)

Graham
Newborn Bully

Postby Graham » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:08 pm

I am new to the pit bull forum and I am learning about the breed. I adopted a pitbull from the shelter and after a week found out he had cancer and we had to put him down :crybaby: We did adopt another pitbull. In both cases we wanted the gate to work in order to keep them in the kitchen while we were gone, when company came over, while we ate dinner, ect.

Both pits were easily able to push through the gate. It ends up that the pit we have is very good in the house (coming from a shelter you never know how they are going to be in the household). We got very lucky.

I would want to say that you would need a gate that was nailed into the wall somehow, but I think a determined pit could manage to shove that down too and then you would end up with a damaged wall. Perhaps try better shades/blinds so she can't look outside? There are also these jackets that are suppose to provide some pressure to the dog to ease anxiety (like being hugged all day I guess). Sorry - the gate thing is tough. I have up on it.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”