B.O.B (Bug Out Bag)

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
Ntchwaidumela
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

B.O.B (Bug Out Bag)

Postby Ntchwaidumela » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:49 pm

Hello Fellow PBF Members-

I was wondering if any of you folks have put together some emergency supplies that will get your dog through at least 72 hours if a natural disaster such as a hurricane (such as the recent "Sandy"), earthquake, etc. ever hits your area?

If so, what does it consist of? I would like some ideas cause I would like to have one ready for that "just in case day".

Thanks to all those who reply.
N

Curly_07

Re: B.O.B (Bug Out Bag)

Postby Curly_07 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:19 pm

I travel with the dogs often, and pick up and leave with less than a 24 hours notice most of the time. I do this on average once a month, but sometimes more. I have a doggy table in the house by their crates that I keep all of their stuff organized at. I keep an overnight bag type of thing right there under the table. The bag contains extra collars and leashes, winter dog clothing, a lunge line, first aid kit, and 2 gallons of bottled water. I keep their food in a big tupperware container for easy transporting. When I get notice I need to go somewhere, or I decide at last minute I want to get away for a few days or a week, I just through the tupperware, bag, crates, and dogs in the truck and I'm ready to go. I takes me about 30 mins to pack a suitcase. I can be packed up, truck loaded, and on the road within 1 hour. lol

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:43 am

Dog: Emergency bag

Stella & Chewy's dehydrated food
samples from Sojos
Vet records printed (within 1 year) I've got an app where I track each of their procedures.
silicone bowl, hard ones can get bent or broken
Emergency Evacuation Travel muzzles 
Extra leashes
Tags -extra & print outs of Home Again IDs
1 towel
poop bags

everything else like blankets and multiple bowls are not as important as the big stuff. Since I've got 3 and us 2 humans it would be kind of hard to bring everything. 
Medications I have not decided how i want to do those. Especially since we just started a few new ones. 
I need to get pictures of us and the dogs so that in a pinch we can prove we own the dogs.

FEMA & Red Cross both have some good stuff on their sites. FEMA has a good checklist too
http://www.ready.gov/animals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.redcross.org/prepare/locatio ... amily/pets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://coastalpetrescue.org/humane-educ ... icane.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"While you have the time now, prepare an evacuation kit for your pets. Get a backpack or small to medium size duffel bag and keep it packed for them. Contents should include a few favorite toys (avoid anything that squeaks or makes loud noise as a courtesy to others), a favorite blanket or towel to sleep on, flea and heartworm preventative, first aid kit, copies of medical records, current medications, and recent photo of your pet. Be sure your pet has a collar with id tag (two phone numbers with one being a cell phone or number that may be reached in case of emergency) and current rabies tag (Georgia state law mandates all pets have current proof of rabies for travel anywhere in the state). You should also plan to have enough food and water for your pet for one week minimum. For dogs, include an extra leash along with their harness, leader, choke collar and/or muzzle. You must be able to maintain control of your dog during all travel and any subsequent time at a shelter. For cats, include litter box and litter as well as trash bags for refuse."

http://www.proguardpets.com/evacuation-muzzle-p-34.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(I'm not sure how i like the construction since one size is a little small and the other a little big, but what I do like is that i says EVACUATION Muzzle on it. Since people freak out when they see a dog in a muzzle, i thought it best to use this one that says 'emergency' etc.
"This muzzle works so well that we had to Patent its design. It allows the dog to breathe normally while at the same time restricting aggressive behavior. Looks great and feels great for your pet and makes a good retail item. This muzzle is made from patented Dupont fabric which is exceptionally resistant to abrasions, punctures and tears, it's almost impossible for the animal to pull off."

Ntchwaidumela
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Ntchwaidumela » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:36 am

Wow, Stella and Chewy are definetly in good hands.

i will look into those links.

Jake has a Ruffwear pack that will be a part of BOB.

Thanks so much for input.

N

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”