No-Pull harnesses

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
Amie

No-Pull harnesses

Postby Amie » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:50 am

We're looking for a new distributor for the shelter dogs. Please list off different types (sensation, ez walk, freedom, etc) and what you like/dislike about them!

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Re: No-Pull harnesses

Postby Savage Destiny » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:27 pm

Personally, I'm not a fan of any of them. Unless they stop pulling 100% immediately, which does not happen with the majority of dogs, they can cause shoulder damage over time. I know they're supposed to be the "humane" alternative to things like prong collars, but personally I don't like to use things that can cause long-term skeletal issues. I know there's a thread floating around somewhere about the evils of head collars, and personally I don't think no pull harnesses are any better.

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby UnconventionalLove » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:00 pm

As a training tool that is phased out, I prefer the Halti brand because it has a clip that connects to the collar and keeps the chest strap across the chest so it doesn't slide down the legs like some alternatives.

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MarMar » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:39 am

I like the Freedom harness personally. I suppose they could cause damage if your dog was pulling on them non stop, but still safer than a collar. I like the freedom harness because of the soft armpit straps, and because they are harder to squirm out of than the other front clip harnesses because of the martingale part at the back.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:35 pm

Bebop is what we sell, the D ring is unmovable unlike the easy walk, I don't like how easily they loosen up but I do like that they tend to sit higher.

I use them a lot and while they can alter a dogs extension I find them a beneficial tool and a means to an end.

ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilovetyson » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:14 pm

My rescue uses the Easy walk harnesses. And I am ok with them on some dogs. But others they just don't work. If the dog is a massive puller, they tend to do nothing. And I end up with more back pain from them pulling. I did come across the sensation harness but havn't had a chance to really try it out yet. I still think the Prong collar is a good option WHEN USED CORRECTLY. I also believe every tool can be used incorrectly. And have heard the stories of dogs breaking there necks with the gentle leaders. BUT, with the right dogs.. it is a fantastic tool. Just like the dogs that end up with shoulder issues on the harnesses... I think some dogs they are fantastic for. Same with Prong collars. So, I am def. Open to all types. Jade was trained on a Prong, then went to a "good dog" Collar Which is a plastic version of a prong. Then now, she is on a martengale. Maddy, She is on a Harness or Martengale. She can't be walked on a normal collar, as she will stop dead in her tracks and back out of a collar...and will stand in middle of road... :wow
Champ Can be on a martengale, But while he is doing Service work, He is on the Good dog Collar. :)

My thoughts on the Easy walk version of the harness, is it Moves TOO MUCH! Specially with the big chest bully breeds the front strap tends to either flow above or below the breast bone. Lol So, It never stays put. I have also had a dog be able to get out of it.
I only used the Sensation harness once, so I cant really say anything on that one.
I have never heard of the bebop harness, but it looks like the Sensation harness.

Angela Adams
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Angela Adams » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:00 pm

we just started using these for the foster dogs: http://wiggleswagswhiskers.com/No-Pull-Harness/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:43 am

Let me know what you think, Angela! A pit bull rescue around here (Jasmine's House) uses them, and gave me one to try but I haven't had a chance yet.

Inaras mom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Inaras mom » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:46 pm

My group recommends/sells the Freedom Harnesses. They don't hinder shoulder movement like some of the others do, and once adjusted they stay in place. They're truly wonderful and their customer service is outstanding.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:57 pm

We used to use the Easy Walk as it was easy to find, and 'worked' until Flower came along. It did not matter if that harness was on correctly, reversed or even a little tight. She could get out of it. She was like Houdini. Many may say, oh you did not have it on right. But I read in several places where a lot of deep chested dogs had the same skill she did.

On the other hand, a lot of the other harnesses are not made out of as soft a nylon and irritate the skin since they are kind of 'sharp' not soft.

I'm a huge fan of the Freedon Harness. Mostly because the center strap keeps everything in place but I have NEVER had a problem with it. The swiss velvet protects the arm pits and the adjustments really make the harness fit perfectly on every dog I've put it on.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:57 pm

duplicate oops!

loophole
Newborn Bully

Postby loophole » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:38 am

I prefer the halti. Has an extra clip to attach to your dogs collar just for safety. I read a lot about shoulder issues.. but before I bought my dog was doing well on training. He never pulled hard any more.. He pulls lightly now and a light tug at the side and he's walking fine again. Could of trained him without it as he was more or less there but liked the top clip for walking once he's officially trained to walk as well...(leash clips to top of dogs back... nice collar..

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”