Heavy duty but comfortable crate mats?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
BabyReba

Heavy duty but comfortable crate mats?

Postby BabyReba » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:58 am

After about 6 or more months of trying to transition Button from crating to being loose in a room when I'm not home, I created a dog who learned how much he loves to shred blankets, sheets, dog beds, comforters, mattresses, etc. He only does it when he's excited, but he generally gets crazy excited when I get home, and it only takes him a few seconds to completely wreck stuff. Hes very efficient. Basically, he hears my car coming up the drive, then grabs hold of any fabric or surface he can fit in his mouth and death-shakes it until I'm in the room and interrupt. I can crate him, of course, but when I put him in his crate, he shreds whatever is in there with him. So I'd like to try to break the habit by creating an environment that forces to him replace that behavior with a new (hopefully safer/less destructive) habit.

I'd like to set up a larger crate and/or an xpen for him next to start over. And I want to put some kind of comfortable mat in there with him, rather than leave it bare. But I need one that's not possible to shred, because I'm hoping to get him out of the habit of shredding by leaving him with his fave toys -- Kongs and squirrel dudes -- and encouraging him to use those as his destressors, rather than blankets, clothes, shoes, curtains, fabrics. Eventually, I'm hoping that will become his new go-to habit.

Anyone have any ideas for sturdy but comfortable mats that will resist shredding? I've heard of horse stall mats, but do they have much give for comfort? What about those Kuranda beds or canine coolaroo beds or whatever they are called?

Amie

Re: Heavy duty but comfortable crate mats?

Postby Amie » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:29 am

The Kurunda or Coolaroos might work - Kurunda carries a cat size that might fit inside a crate (I don't know if Coolaroo does or not)

My first thought was something like wrestling mat material- it has some give, so it would be softer than the regular floor, but it's not fabric (more like foam rubber) so maybe wouldn't have the same shredding temptation? I know you can buy some that interlock, so you might be able to get a small amount, but I'm not sure of price.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:40 am

We have a coolaroo bed. It's sort of a wooven plastic material (similar to canvas). It seems confortable for the dogs. But there's still the possibility of it being torn up. The material doesn't stretch over the whole frame, the corners sort of have an open area...and it's probably perfect for a dogs mouth to fit in.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gs_r ... 70&bih=788

Can you see the spot I'm talking about?

I like the idea of a wrestling mat too...or even the black puzzle looking pieces people use under exercise equipment...and I wonder, so long as an edge isn't made available to him (have it be bigger than the x-pen) -would he chew it. I mean, do you see him just smashing his face against the floor and chew, chew, chewing until something gives?

Breezy833
Newborn Bully

Postby Breezy833 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:59 am

We've had a similar problem with this too. I stopped looking for solutions though. The rules of our house are : Appa can only have a blanket at bed time. He gets bored and tears things up while we'er gone. If you figure something out i'd be interested to hear it.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:16 pm

I never thought of those mats. I'm pretty sure they are fairly cheap, too. That's a very good idea. If I got enough to interlock on the floor under an xpen, he would hopefully not see any grabable bits and might choose his toy instead. I knew I could count on you guys for some good ideas!

And Jamie, I do see what you mean about that bed. I might try mats, and maybe we could eventually transition to that style of bed when he's more reliable.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:18 pm

Primo Pads? They are very hardy according to the friends that have them.

Hank shreds bedding at dock diving and at flyball practice. He now just gets cheap fleece blankets and once he's turned them into litle bits, I replace them.

bigcinoregon
Newborn Bully

Postby bigcinoregon » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:36 pm

FransterDoo wrote:Primo Pads? They are very hardy according to the friends that have them.

Hank shreds bedding at dock diving and at flyball practice. He now just gets cheap fleece blankets and once he's turned them into litle bits, I replace them.

Those pads look pretty good and I'm going to look into getting one. Hugo is great in his crate about 85% of the time or so...he won't chew anything up and will just play with his toys. I got him a cheap bed at home depot on black friday for some padding (I was using an old folded up queen size comforter before) and he chewed that up within a few days. Came home to him sitting in a corner of the crate surrounded by bedding fluff!! I've gone back to the blanket and have been trying to figure something else out. These pads look like they might be the answer :headbang:

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:58 am

Don't bother with the foam puzzle mats. Ev has one and it's already suffering just from Obi walking over it. Not durable at all

bigcinoregon
Newborn Bully

Postby bigcinoregon » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:48 pm

AllisonPitbullLvr wrote:Don't bother with the foam puzzle mats. Ev has one and it's already suffering just from Obi walking over it. Not durable at all

Yea I couldn't see those working very well. They don't seem durable at all. Hugo might not be interested in chewing them up initially but eventually once he figured out what they where they would be gone in seconds :headbang:!!!

Jamie&Jessie
Newborn Bully

Postby Jamie&Jessie » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:45 am

FransterDoo wrote:Primo Pads? They are very hardy according to the friends that have them.

Oh my goodness! Primo Pads look great. I have gone through several crate pads with my pup and have been looking for something much tougher. This could be it. THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:03 pm

I'm looking for something waterproof and found this: http://leerburg.com/1213.htm

I'm looking up the Primo Pads now!

Jamie&Jessie
Newborn Bully

Postby Jamie&Jessie » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:27 pm

I just purchased a primo pad. Cost me $52 with shipping. I really hope it lasts for a really long time! I'll report back here once I receive it. :)

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”