waterproofing?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
morganmariah
Newborn Bully

waterproofing?

Postby morganmariah » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:17 pm

I'm currently crocheting a sweater for Luna to wear this winter, and i realized quite suddenly that it will likely start raining the moment it gets cold enough to warrant the sweater. Since it's being made out of yarn, i'm afraid it will absorb moisture and actually make her colder.
My question is this: Are there any good waterproof sprays that are good for fabrics and safe for dogs? Obviously i'd want something that wouldn't alter the color or make it stiff. I have found a few water proof sprays that say they can be used on clothes, but im not 100% sure about the pet safety aspect of them, so i figured i'd ask for some advice.

thanks in advance.

PS- it's acrylic, super bulky yarn, which makes the sweater about half an inch thick... that's why i'm worried about it absorbing enough water to make her too cold.

Amie

Re: waterproofing?

Postby Amie » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:58 am

Your better bet at this point is to get a raincoat to go overtop of the sweater.

Natural wool is the best choice for fiber for cold/rainy situations because it will continue keeping the wearer warm while absorbing water. Acrylic does run the risk of causing her to be cold, but more so I'd worry that it will get heavy and stretch out of shape quickly.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:48 am

Second the raincoat.

Somewhat dense reading but much of the waterproofing options are not safe for people, pets or the environment: http://oecotextiles.wordpress.com/2010/ ... they-safe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

morganmariah
Newborn Bully

Postby morganmariah » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:35 pm

So there are no water repellant sprays on the market that are safe to use on pet clothes? i find that extremely hard to believe. i've been looking at the Scotchgard™ Durable Water Repellent spray, and i can't really imagine how it would be bad for her if i spray it on the outside of her sweater and let it fully dry and set before putting it on her... i mean, if you but it on your coat and then your dog rubs against it, i doubt it gets hurt...

Luna doesn't like the sound of water hitting plastic, so raincoats are out. however, ive been considering one for Nala cause she takes longer to dry off and doesn't seem to care about sounds just in general (luna barks when she hears someone knock, but nala couldn't care less. i figure she assumes Luna has it under control.)

as far as wool absorbing water and still being warm goes... yeah, but i live in an apartment and i have zero intention of having a soaking wet wool sweater making the whole place smell musty. i want her to be warm and dry, not warm and wet.

the point of this post was to get input on if certain sprays might actually be harmful to pits possibly because of breed specific skin allergies or something. i feel like there would be a warning on the bottle if it's harmful, but id also expect them to put a "pet-friendly" label if it was safe.... i understand that there are other ways to keep her dry; for example, i could wait for it to stop raining before taking her out in the first place. however, i wanted to make her a sweater, so i did. now im just trying to keep it dry in light rain...

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”