Harness differences

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
==>Bikepit<==
Adolescent Bully

Harness differences

Postby ==>Bikepit<== » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:56 am

What is the advantage to the Round padding to the flat padding around the neck as seen below? What are the reasons to get the extra padding?

I am going to be a rookie this year, so I am just curious. Tired of reading about it, I would like some live feed back.

Frost

Postby Frost » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:13 pm

i have only heard ONE person comment on the difference, and they said the round padding chafed their dog (because of what its made of, i imagine)

if you get the flat padding, you can always add a tube of some other padding later, if it ends up being insufficient. but if you get the round and it chafes your dog, youre screwed

==>Bikepit<==
Adolescent Bully

Postby ==>Bikepit<== » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:23 pm

Frost wrote:i have only heard ONE person comment on the difference, and they said the round padding chafed their dog (because of what its made of, i imagine)

if you get the flat padding, you can always add a tube of some other padding later, if it ends up being insufficient. but if you get the round and it chafes your dog, youre screwed

A little off topic, but you joined in Dec 05 and you already have that many posts? YOu need to get some fresh air

thanks for the input, but I am wondering about the padding itself. If the padding chaffed all dogs you wouldn't see it as much as I have noticed it. Anyone have first hand experience?

Frost

Postby Frost » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:31 pm

i know. i dont understand it :dunno:

and thats all iv ever heard about it. i had been asking the same Q and only one person answered, with that she did not like the round kind

possibly ask harness makers themselves? any clients complain about one kind of padding over the other? or ask for a second harness made because the firsts padding was wrong

==>Bikepit<==
Adolescent Bully

Postby ==>Bikepit<== » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:41 pm

Ya maybe I will do that, thanks Frost

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:43 pm

Actually, while I have the flat kind, the theory being that the weight gets dispersed a little more, most of the really good pullers I know use the round kind. Many people do this themselves, useing insulation foam for pipes, and then wrapping it w/electrical or some other (slick) tape. I've never heard anyone complain about chafing from a well fitted harness.
Pure pull power harness are ready.All sizes from 14 to 30 S are ready. I have in stock red and black only on 14s,16s,and 18s in inch and a half webbing. In 20 to 32 in 2 inch I have red,black,blue,tan,silver,white and burgundy.( I will make any combination of colors as well) If your looking to for a great harness I make them and deliver within a week and a half. Prices Start at $50 for Sizes 14 thru 24 And $60 for 25 to 32. This does not include shipping or wrapping <(foam). Best way to contact is direct at 414-587-8878>Mike Keller.

I was told (by the guy who won the adba nationals this year) that this man mentioned above makes an excellent harness.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:49 pm

CDpits makes some nice looking harnesses and may be able to give you some input on this as well

Ostara_K9s

Postby Ostara_K9s » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:42 pm

Well I have the harness's with the flat padding but I'm probably going to switch to the round kind because from what I've heard from other people who pul thier dogs that the weight does get disperssed more evenly like Leslie H said and that the harness doesn't inhibit (right word?) the front movement of the dogs.. the flat wider padding blocks the front movement and reach of the dogs front legs making it harder to pull expecially in the smaller dogs like staffybulls.. if you look at the front of the dog you don't want the padding to take up the whole front of the dog and interfere with the dogs shoulders and reach. You want the padding in closer to the neck and not so much holding back the shoulders of the dog

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:45 pm

I've heard from the folks who do the pipe foam on the neckbands that it helps keep the harness from moving around on the dog. But if you buy a well-made harness, you don't have that problem anyway. Loki has pulled in 2 different harnesses, one which has thickly padded (but not pipe-foamed) neckbands and one that had crappy padding. She pulled just as hard in both harnesses, but I feel better with her having her CD Pits harness with the thick padding.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:47 pm

I got the foam simply because it seems more comfortable for the dogs.
My beasts only pull for excercise but I would think that in the case of a lot of weight the foam is extra protection from abrasions.

Frost

Postby Frost » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:26 am

i have no objection to the foam itself, but look what its wrapped in? thats got to be uncomfortable! wrap it in cloth or sheepskin and im sure it wouldnt chafe

i wouldnt want some kind of electrical tape plastic whatever junk right on my skin!

and about it not interfering with the forelegs? it may not be flat but it amounts to the same mass getting in the way. its just as big around if not bigger, than the flat kind

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:43 am

Personally, I think people like that rolled kind because it looks macho. Sorry, that's how I feel. lol

My dogs have the flat kind, and never had any trouble pulling. I don't know if it inhibits their forward motion at all (doesn't look like it), but it's not as though uninhibited use of their forelegs is needed in weight pull... they drive from the rear. The forelegs just need to get out of the way.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:34 am

Personally, I think people like that rolled kind because it looks macho. Sorry, that's how I feel.

Yeah, Ice looks so very mucho with her foam thingy and her tongue sticking out! lol

i have no objection to the foam itself, but look what its wrapped in? thats got to be uncomfortable!

Have you actually held one? When I got the first harness I put the foam around my arm and lifted one of the tires we use for excercise and it felt okey.No red marks, no uncomfortable feeling but if course I did not lift much weight.The foam padding is thick and did not bother the skin or nothing.It seems to me better than regular fleece over nylon.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:32 am

I think Frost was referring to how they wrap the foam in electrical tape. I could see how that would pull against the hair and such.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:40 am

I could see how that would pull against the hair and such.

The dogs coat around the neck seems fine and I don't see hair stuck on the tape area.I dunno, I haven't noticed problems so far.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”