flea-tick-mosq. - protection!!!

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Wed May 07, 2008 11:45 pm

None have been shown. Frontline and Advantage have been out since 1997.

EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Postby EmmasMom » Thu May 08, 2008 10:52 am

I have 4 cats and I use Advantix on Emma. They don't go licking her or whatever. Dakota will rub up on Ems, but we just watch her until it dries...and usually she can't reach up on Ems where the meds are anyway. Been using it for over a year and haven't had a problem.

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re:

Postby InBearsMemory » Thu May 08, 2008 11:59 am

I spray my dogs down with a squirt bottle filled with water, apple cider vinegar and pureed garlic throughout the summer when we go outdoors. You have to make sure that there is really a high dosage of garlic in this mixture as that is what will keep insects away. Garlic is toxic to mosquitos as well as ticks and they tend to keep away for as long as they can smell it.

SadiesHuman
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SadiesHuman » Fri May 09, 2008 2:19 pm

Some lady in my area did a study on advantix and frontline. She also called the companies to verify what she found out.

Advantix does work against fleas, ticks, and mosq. however it is not water proof. The advantix company stated that if you wanted continued coverage you would need to apply it every 7-10 days. That also means it will wash off with a simple bath, swim, or possible squirt of a hose.

Frontline does work agsint fleas and ticks however it does not repel mosq. It is completely waterproof. So if your dog is a swimmer, they completely back up their product on continuing to work after the swim.

I have used Advantix on Sadie, but I am going to be switching to Frontline due to the waterproofness of it. I also don't know how safe it really is to apply something as potent as Advantix every 7-10 days.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Fri May 09, 2008 4:01 pm

And you need a prescription from your vet for all these meds correct?

SadiesHuman
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SadiesHuman » Fri May 09, 2008 6:53 pm

No, not for these. Thats only for heartguard. I can get frontline, advantix, and a few other smaller brands at my local horse and feed store.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Fri May 09, 2008 7:08 pm

So you are going to use Frontline but what about for mosquitos? I plan on using Ivermectin this year.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Re:

Postby pblove » Fri May 09, 2008 7:48 pm

InBearsMemory wrote:I spray my dogs down with a squirt bottle filled with water, apple cider vinegar and pureed garlic throughout the summer when we go outdoors. You have to make sure that there is really a high dosage of garlic in this mixture as that is what will keep insects away. Garlic is toxic to mosquitos as well as ticks and they tend to keep away for as long as they can smell it.

I think a lot of people don't belive this works. :headbang:
I can't tell you how many people poo poo'd me when I told them to try this mixture instead of using the chemicals. .

Amie

Postby Amie » Fri May 09, 2008 8:13 pm

Could I get a more precise recipe for that? And does it repel humans as well, with the scent? 8)

savethepitbulls67890
Addicted to PBF

Postby savethepitbulls67890 » Fri May 09, 2008 9:53 pm

Amie wrote:Could I get a more precise recipe for that? And does it repel humans as well, with the scent? 8)

I would really appreciate that too! Pretty please? :)

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Fri May 09, 2008 11:02 pm

Deniselynn wrote:So you are going to use Frontline but what about for mosquitos? I plan on using Ivermectin this year.

Ivermectin works for heartworms, but I don't think it does anything about the fleas, ticks, mosquitoes. Unless you are in fact talking about just controlling the heartworms, and not the mosquitoes themselves. Dogs should always be on heartworm preventative if you live in an area where it is a problem, even if they are on something that is supposed to repel mosquitoes (it only takes one!) Also make sure you are using the right dosage of ivermectin if you're using it off label. The dose for dogs is really tiny, compared with horses, etc per pound. A 50 lb dog does not need the same amount of ivermectin as 50 lb worth of horse.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Sat May 10, 2008 12:09 am

Heartworm preventative

There are also more thread about Ivermectin. :thumbsup:

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Sat May 10, 2008 8:04 am

Okay good! I just know some people who use the horse wormer paste and just give their dogs 100lb worth, when with that concentration, you only need to give about 3 lb worth. I figured you guys were probably smarter than that. :)

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re:

Postby InBearsMemory » Mon May 12, 2008 7:58 am

Amie wrote:Could I get a more precise recipe for that? And does it repel humans as well, with the scent? 8)

There is really no "written in stone" recipe for it. The water I just put in there to give it a bit more volume and to puree the garlic.
We usually take about 5-6 garlic gloves, peel them and throw them in a blender with about about half a cup of water and blend them very smooth. You then add about a cup of the vinegar or more depending how thick your garlic/water paste is and pour that through a strainer to allow the mixture to be sprayed without clogging the nozzle.
I really like using this mix as it is chemical free and it makes the dog smell like a greek salad, lol.

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Re:

Postby L Boogie » Mon May 12, 2008 7:08 pm

InBearsMemory wrote:

There is really no "written in stone" recipe for it. The water I just put in there to give it a bit more volume and to puree the garlic.
We usually take about 5-6 garlic gloves, peel them and throw them in a blender with about about half a cup of water and blend them very smooth. You then add about a cup of the vinegar or more depending how thick your garlic/water paste is and pour that through a strainer to allow the mixture to be sprayed without clogging the nozzle.
I really like using this mix as it is chemical free and it makes the dog smell like a greek salad, lol.

I'll have to try this when our Frontline Spray runs out. The smell may make me want to eat my dogs though. lol

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”