Walky Dog Bike Leash?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
APBT<3er
Forum Junky

Walky Dog Bike Leash?

Postby APBT<3er » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:02 am

Anyone have one of these? I've heard of K9 Cruisers but when I searched them this is what comes up. I've read all of the amazon reviews and so far so good, 11 out of 11 reviews rated it 5 stars. I'm still skeptical however, none of these reviewees own APBTs so I'm worried that while they say the dog cannot pull you off the bike, that Dolly would succeed in doing just that. I think for the price, I'll probably try it out anyway, but I was just wondering what you guys think. Here is a link to the item in question for sale on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/WalkyDog-USA/dp/B ... 538&sr=8-1

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:06 am

A springer costs barely more than that and I know of several APBT owners who like theirs: http://www.springerusa.com/index.html

http://www.springerusa.com/purchase.cfm

APBT<3er
Forum Junky

Postby APBT<3er » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:15 am

I dunno, I just read some reviews for that item and someone mentioned that they weigh 160lbs and their dog weighs 40lbs and the dog pulled them off of the bike and the person ended up suffering fractures to their upper arm.. I'm even more skeptical about that than the Walky Dog

Nokturna
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Nokturna » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:29 am

That looks interesting.. on the walky dog review thing on amazon, the second one says she/he also tried the springer but that it was harder to use. Interesting...

Sirian
Super Bully

Postby Sirian » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:53 am

Never tried a walky dog but I had a K9 Cruiser and it was awful, if the dog pulled it would pull the back tire out from under you. I also have the springer and love it, it really works and I have had no problems with it.

amyd
Bully Ambassador

Postby amyd » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:03 am

I just got the K9 Criuser. But Rebecca is amking me a different lead to attach to it. When I take it on the road this week, I will let you guys know.
The safety release on the springer, scares the chocolate out of me!

APBT<3er
Forum Junky

Postby APBT<3er » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:12 am

I noticed that one of the reviewees for the WalkyDog bike leash mentioned that they use it for a siberian husky... I guess if anyone has any questions about a pulling dog being a problem, that answers them. Just hearing that has made me want one even more. I'm guessing that a pittie and a siberian husky may not be on the same level when it comes to pulling, but they must be close, both are strong, and while the pittie wasn't designed for it, we all know they can excel at it which is what I was thinking would prove to be a problem.

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:31 pm

I had both attachments. Walkydog one lasted exactly 5 bike rides. On the fifth one, I went one way and my dog flew another way in the middle of the busy intersection.

Customer service was very nice and they refunded me fully.

Springer on the other hand is hands down the best ever. I couldn't be happier about it. I have never gotten pulled off (although I am sure, somewhere, someone, does get pulled off their bike, no matter what attachment they use). To me, springer is made for pulling. I would definitely trust that one over walkydog.

lipshipsattitude
Bully Ambassador

Postby lipshipsattitude » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:37 pm

Here is a cool vid. They use a whippet but the lady still demonstrates how it works.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oNyobzTcfo
Here is one with a husky....they are known pullers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS7Pjn3h ... re=related
and here is the springer with a staffy....it looks much more unstable
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WJde8i5Z9k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTumMfS7 ... re=related

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:40 pm

no way in hell would i want to attach my dog to my bike. we ride a couple times a week and i just hold the leash with my right hand and the handlebars with the other. if i have to let go for whatever reason, i let go. i never ride in the street just the park.

lipshipsattitude
Bully Ambassador

Postby lipshipsattitude » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:46 pm

MikeZev wrote:no way in hell would i want to attach my dog to my bike. we ride a couple times a week and i just hold the leash with my right hand and the handlebars with the other. if i have to let go for whatever reason, i let go. i never ride in the street just the park.

ditto here but it sounds like the OP is worried that her dog pulling her around. I'm confident that Rory wont pullem around but Primo does so he dosnt go as much

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:51 pm

if i was too worried that i couldnt control my dog's pulling i wouldnt ride with her. when we go out i let her do a lot of pulling on a 1.5 inch flat leather collar. if i need her to slow down, i'll use a combo of the bike brakes and a voice command. no wrecks yet.

she did almost pull my arm out of the socket when she decided to go from a 19mph sprint directly into a dump position with no warning or slowing down.

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:55 pm

The reason I would never let my dog ride with me on a leash, is that she is free to move where she wants, and can get hit by a pedal or get injured by a fast moving wheel, have their paw run over, etc.

When using an attachment, your dog cannot possibly get on the way of the moving parts.

Also (especially with springer), there is practically no risk when a dog desides to pull suddenly or jerk, because the springer is an actual spring, and it softens any blow. As opposed to an arm.

HUGaBULLyo
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby HUGaBULLyo » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:10 pm

i use the most reliable resource; my hand lol i just hold the leash since i can ride with just one hand at 100% :))

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:51 pm

I have a springer that I have been using for about four years now, and I am VERY happy with it. I replaced the nylon leash that it comes with a chain and attached it to the spring with a carabiner, and attached another quicklink at the end to the dogs harness. I have a puller and a runner, and the springer really absorbs the shock of both.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”