Weight pulling

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
BigLuch
Newborn Bully

Weight pulling

Postby BigLuch » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:30 am

I have seen some vids on YouTube of weight pulling comps for dogs. I have a 3 month old pit that I would love to get into the sport. I looked up how go about it online and found some info but fig I would ask here f anyone has any advise or tips to get my dog into the sport n how to start his traing and when it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
- Vic

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Re: Weight pulling

Postby ProudMommy77 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:17 pm

check out www.weightpullharness.com, I wanted to start a thread on the importance of training a correct style for weight pull. however, you started a thread, so I will go into on here. if you don't mind?

ellie@ny
Matured Bully

Postby ellie@ny » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:49 pm

ProudMommy77 wrote:check out http://www.weightpullharness.com, I wanted to start a thread on the importance of training a correct style for weight pull. however, you started a thread, so I will go into on here. if you don't mind?

What do you mean Jen?Is that important? :))

RazorsEdge
Newborn Bully

Postby RazorsEdge » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:59 pm

ProudMommy77 wrote:check out http://www.weightpullharness.com, I wanted to start a thread on the importance of training a correct style for weight pull. however, you started a thread, so I will go into on here. if you don't mind?

Looking forward to this :nana:

BigLuch
Newborn Bully

Postby BigLuch » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:40 pm

I dun mind at all please inform me. I want my lil guy to do things right n not get hurt so please inform us.

BigLuch
Newborn Bully

Postby BigLuch » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:00 am

I am trying to get my pup a training harness but I'm not understanding the methods of measuring him for a proper fitting can anyone help me out? How to go about getting a fitting for him.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:29 pm

I'm another fan of Missy Villines harnesses, at www.weightpullharness.com . By a training harness, do you mean one that changes size, so it gets larger as the puppy matures? If so, I saw a photo of one, and thought the straps looked really inadequate, and would leave the dog uncomfortable w/any weight.

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:27 pm

Sorry for the thread hijack, but I tried to contact Missy Villines, and she hasn't responded?

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:39 pm

You could try PM'ing her here, she posts as mopulldogs.

DarkMoon
Super Bully

Postby DarkMoon » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:03 pm

KittyNyanNyan wrote:Sorry for the thread hijack, but I tried to contact Missy Villines, and she hasn't responded?

That's odd. I know that when I emailed her for a harness, I got a response the next day.

I'm another huge Missy V fan, but since your dog is still only a pup, you really don't need anything that fancy yet. I actually brought a harness from Stillwater Kennels http://www.stillwaterkennelsupply.com/harnesses.htm 3rd one down on the page. It's perfect for just starting out with light weights. Tablerock also has some nice training harness that will grow with the dog http://tablerockharness.com/TrainingHarnesses.htm

Right now at 3 months old, you really don't want them to be pulling much of anything. Milk jugs with coins and stuff in it or light chains. Just something to get the dog's use to the sound of something behind them. When the dog hits a year then you can slowly start working the dog on the weight.

One of my favorite sites on learning about weight pulling is http://www.pulldoggies.com/ It really helped me understand what to start with. Then I went out and watched a few weight pulls and talked to a few people to find out more on what to do. Even look into joining a local weight pulling club so you can get help on training and what to do. Most weight pullers are more then willing to help you out. Just ask.

Just remember your dog is a pup. Weight pulling shouldn't be done until your dog is older. Right now is the time to get the very basics down and then in a year or so will be the time to start working on the actually weight pulling part of the weight pulling.

DarkMoon
Super Bully

Postby DarkMoon » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:04 pm

DarkMoon wrote:
KittyNyanNyan wrote:Sorry for the thread hijack, but I tried to contact Missy Villines, and she hasn't responded?

That's odd. I know that when I emailed her for a harness, I got a response the next day.

I'm another huge Missy V fan, but since your dog is still only a pup, you really don't need anything that fancy yet. I actually brought a harness from Stillwater Kennels http://www.stillwaterkennelsupply.com/harnesses.htm 3rd one down on the page. It's perfect for just starting out with light weights. Tablerock also has some nice training harness that will grow with the dog http://tablerockharness.com/TrainingHarnesses.htm

Right now at 3 months old, you really don't want them to be pulling much of anything. Milk jugs with coins and stuff in it or light chains. Just something to get the dog's use to the sound of something behind them and the weight of something pulling back on the harness. When the dog hits a year then you can slowly start working the dog on the weight.

One of my favorite sites on learning about weight pulling is http://www.pulldoggies.com/ It really helped me understand what to start with. Then I went out and watched a few weight pulls and talked to a few people to find out more on what to do. Even look into joining a local weight pulling club so you can get help on training and what to do. Most weight pullers are more then willing to help you out. Just ask.

Just remember your dog is a pup. Weight pulling shouldn't be done until your dog is older. Right now is the time to get the very basics down and then in a year or so will be the time to start working on the actually weight pulling part of the weight pulling.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:23 am

ellie@ny wrote:

What do you mean Jen?Is that important? :))

of course it is important..lol..we all learn from our mistakes, now don't we?
To be honest, I don't start a dog too young, I wait until about six months to introduce the harness, and a very light chain for nose, and effect. At nine months, same thing, maybe a bit heavier of a chain, but not by much.
I love to do hill work for a correct form on a dog. It encourages them to stay low, and stretch. A key thing that I have discovered, is learn your dog's strengths and weaknesses. This actually dawned on me this morning working the dogs. I have finally learned that no matter what I say, or do, it's not going to slow Toes down. He has a steady fast pace when dragging, but maintains his trade mark "creeping" form. Rather than have me constantly break his concentration. I just finally decided to work with it. Instead of me trying to slow him, I drive him from behind, just telling him, "nice work, easy work, good boy." I found that driving him like that and from the side has become the key. It allows him to stay a bit head of me, but he keeps a steady pace, and pulls straight. And he is less frantic, he tends to become frantic if you are working him from the fronts, because he feels the need to break to fast, and too hard. And when the weight gets heavy, it can get frustrating to him, and cause him to do his "funny movements" in effort to break the cart. The last thing you want is a dog that bangs, and sling shots itself to the end of the line, or a dog that barks in frustration. Those type of pulling styles are bad for a dog's health, the shoulders, and the chest area, and it's going to turn into a bad habit if not corrected early on. The barking and carrying on, is a waste of energy, and believe it or not can tire a dog out mentally, as well as physically. I think that there have been quite majority of us, that have made that very mistake. But, listening, and taking advice has helped me learn the right way. It may not be a way that your dog is going to make those max points every time, or get you MWPP, or MWP. It's a way to make sure that your dog has longevity, and good rhythm that prevents bad experiences or injuries down the road.
Constant repetitions in dragging, either it be a chain, sled, or tire not only helps condition the body, but the mind also. I like to drag chain with a sled attached for Paver, he has always had a bit of issues with being hooked up, and the carts at pulls made him feel uncomfortable. Something we are working on now. I used counter conditioning, and food motivation to combat this issue. And it's getting much better. So, making sure your dog is going to be unaffected by noise is very important, and something to work on. Bad experiences in a chute can stick with a dog. Trust me. Of course, take breaks in between, the warm weather is here, so you don't want to over heat your dog. Everything has to begin on a positive note, and leave on a positive note.
The generally idea aside of having great form, is have a steady, slow pace. You don't want dogs running with weight, this is where bad habits can happen, and cause frustration. The old wives tale, was when a dog runs with weight, just add more. However, rather than do that. Add a que in, some dogs may always have a faster steady pace, but as long as they aren't running down the track, it's fine. When pulling the dog, if the dog speeds up way to much, I use "easy", when the dog slows down, verbal reward. I haven't managed how to work in the clicker and treat..lol..I have learned that working a dog from the front, just doesn't work for me or my dogs. So, you have to figure out what works best for you and your dog. I am sure there is a ton more I can add in. But, I need another cup of coffee, and need to start my laundry.
I am sure that Ellie or Leslie will pop in, and give some other hints, and pointers.

mopulldogs
Newborn Bully

Postby mopulldogs » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:23 am

Leslie H wrote:You could try PM'ing her here, she posts as mopulldogs.

Sorry been traveling way too many hours back and forth to the vet this week...sucks when it's a 2hr+ drive one way. Yeah there are local vets that are much closer....but I don't trust them for anything but simple stuff.

ammadien
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby ammadien » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:40 am

Good info proudmommy!

That is a really good post and very informative. Zuki is just starting out but doing really well. She does a long run 3 days a week(2.5 miles no weight, just a walking harness), and three days of drag weights. 1 day about 1 miles, light chain and a stick, nice trot, another day 6 down and backs on our driveway(not paved of course) with a medium amount of weight, then the last day is her heavy weight and 3 down and backs.

I notice if the weight is just a bit too much(we're still building confidence) she gets a bit nervous and doesn't keep her good form, and I noticed when I'm working her from the front this is exaggerated, when working from the side or back she tends to seem more comfortable. I was under the impression this wasn't allowed/encouraged( at least the side). But after reading this I think we'll try more from the side/back. Over all she's doing great! I was unsure how well she would do in that she only likes to work until its hard, lol, short walks, flirtpole till she's a little tired, ect. But she's doing great as we're keeping everything super positive and fun, increasing weight/distance in small increments so she feels like she can pull anything.

Nate

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:27 pm

awwww..thanks. For those that want to be good, and really make it far. There's a lot of thought process, and trial and error that going into weight pull. There are other key points also, like the conformation of the dog, even the temperament can play a value part. The overall condition before, during, and after. There's a tone of little things that make the difference. But, I will let someone else pipe in those topics..lol.

Return to “Dog Sports”