dock dog puppy

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
RileysMommy
Adolescent Bully

dock dog puppy

Postby RileysMommy » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:26 pm

Im wondering if spazz can go ahead and go to practice with me when i join sometime next month. she is 4 months now and i was wondering if the sooner the better. also... are there any ground work i can do with my dogs to get them to know the basics? sit, stat and go command that will male the. rush towards me before i toss it? or should i wait and do this at practice???

April
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: dock dog puppy

Postby April » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:06 pm

If your puppy doesn't know the basic obedience commands I would work on those before moving onto something like
a water competition/training.
I think your moving too fast, I would start at one year.
The sooner is not better when a puppy hasn't even finish growing.

pitbullgirlbc
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitbullgirlbc » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:18 pm

I believe with dock diving they have to be 6 months before they can practice and compete.

maximusflys
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby maximusflys » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:54 pm

Swimming is more than fine for your puppy. Rules state dog must be 6 months old to compete, there is nothing that states the dog can't practice. With that said, unless your dog is a super confident swimmer, I highly doubt it will be jumping off a dock. Being at the venue will be good for spazz with all the commotion that goes on, it can be too much for under socialized dogs. My recommendation is he does only ramp work in and out of pool and that's it. Don't worry about the obedience at this age as long as he is well mannered. If you decide to be competitive everything will fall in place as the dog gets older.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:05 pm

You can practice below 6 months. We bring out our team (flyball dogs) puppies all the time to get them used to the water.

Sarge here is probably 3 months.

Schitzo is about 5 months here

Those are taken at the dock you'll start practicing at too :)

We'll likely head out there this friday to exercise the team dogs if you're interested in trying to come check it out.

RileysMommy
Adolescent Bully

Postby RileysMommy » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:31 pm

thank you. i was going to allow both ri and lil spazz to use the ramp like dock dogs site said to do. i asked because they never said a dog had to be 6mnths to go to practice every month but see..this is why i also asked if there was ground work i can use to build a foundation with lil spazz. riley has solid obed so shes all good but spazz is a baby i was really wanting to build the swimming and fetch with her at practice and obed is being worked on.and of course im not doing competition until next year anyways. adrianne, thank you!! spazz has a vet app on friday but i would love to go watch. i have been reading and watching vids on diving. i was going to pay for bronze membership but i have to wait a tad longer. the charger cord to the laptop bit it monday so been using the ps3 and i cant even print the saved app until the new cord gets here. when is the next practice going to be?? i wouldnt mind going then because i could open up that particular day and can i bring the girls also?

Return to “Dog Sports”