Local Weight Pulling club.

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Local Weight Pulling club.

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:51 pm

I have been looking into local clubs for different sports and weight pulling is something I have always enjoyed.
Now from what I've picked up on the forum, making a dog pull for toys or an object can cause frustration. (I may have worded that wrong) I don't know that much about weight pulling, I am looking forward to learning more about the sport. But I would appriceate it if someone could direct me in the right direction.

One of the things I did not like when I saw this is they were using normal harnesses, and encouraging someone to use a cheap harness that awkwardly fell to the side when the dog was pulling. (not to mention he was pulling a tire in a very crowed area.)
I only saw 3 proper weight pulling harnesses in their photo gallery. (and Oh my gosh I think I saw a weight pulling Dane! :) )

What do you think about this club?

http://nchh08.wordpress.com/about/

mopulldogs
Newborn Bully

Re: Local Weight Pulling club.

Postby mopulldogs » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:48 am

Personally, I would question just how much this group acutally knew about proper weight pull training....When I only see one weight pull harness in their photo gallery....and it's upside down on the white dog Image :eek: :wow

One of the most important things in weight pull is a proper fitting harness. And you should never use a walking harness for weight pull work of ANY KIND nor should you be using bait of any kind. You don't put a dog that has never done weight pull on a track for their first introduction to it either :po:

Surely someone in the forum can put you in touch with a puller close to you, I know there are several out that way.
Me...I would steer clear of this group for sure.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:13 pm

mopulldogs wrote:Personally, I would question just how much this group acutally knew about proper weight pull training....When I only see one weight pull harness in their photo gallery....and it's upside down on the white dog Image :eek: :wow

One of the most important things in weight pull is a proper fitting harness. And you should never use a walking harness for weight pull work of ANY KIND nor should you be using bait of any kind. You don't put a dog that has never done weight pull on a track for their first introduction to it either :po:

Surely someone in the forum can put you in touch with a puller close to you, I know there are several out that way.
Me...I would steer clear of this group for sure.

That is exactly what I was thinking, but I just wanted to check with more experienced people, thank you. :thumbsup:

ellie@ny
Matured Bully

Postby ellie@ny » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:11 pm

Please RUN the other way!!!!!!!!! :wow
If I was you and needed help,I would post my location and maybe someone close to you could help you out.
You don't need to join a "club",you just need an experienced person. ;)
Do you know which org. are you interested to pull in? UKC has a message board,you can ask there if someone in your area can help you out.So does APA.

http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=7
http://members.boardhost.com/APAPULLBOARD/

ellie@ny
Matured Bully

Postby ellie@ny » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:13 pm

I THINK, I just peed myself..... roflmao

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:19 pm

ellie@ny wrote:Please RUN the other way!!!!!!!!! :wow
If I was you and needed help,I would post my location and maybe someone close to you could help you out.
You don't need to join a "club",you just need an experienced person. ;)
Do you know which org. are you interested to pull in? UKC has a message board,you can ask there if someone in your area can help you out.So does APA.

http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=7
http://members.boardhost.com/APAPULLBOARD/

Thank you! I posted on the APA board.
Also I have a question. Are there any breed restrictions? Dakota is a German Shepherd/Labrador Retreiver mix.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:31 pm

No breed restrictions, I have seen a toy poodle doing weight pull and this...
http://www.harnessesbycarol.com/htmlcopy/Sample%20Harness%20photos.htm

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:17 pm

roflmao
I should so get Tazzy a weight pulling harness, 9lb terror.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:33 pm

Have you considered having the joints checked ? Just for safety prior to training that is...

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:10 pm

Adrianne wrote:Have you considered having the joints checked ? Just for safety prior to training that is...

Yes, I just switched vets because of some problems with the last one, so I will be calling and asking prices tomorrow.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:58 pm

So far you learned how an harness upside down looks like.That is good info right there lol.
If you don't mid the drive, which is something you will have to accept if you compete anyway, I would suggest that you go down to Loomis the next weekend. There is a UKC WP, Grand Champion only, but you can introduce yourself , ask questions and see if that is something you want to get into.There might be someone who goes to the pull and live close to you who can maybe help you out.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:23 pm

Red, I don't believe it's Grand Champions only, they are just indicating that there is a Grand class being offered, in addition to the regular classes.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:48 pm

Someone at the Nationals said it was GRCH only but I just looked and you are right. I wonder if a club can even do GRCH only.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:09 pm

I don't know Red. It certainly wouldn't be worthwhile for most clubs. There are just not that many Grands. We're hosting Grands this weekend, but likely we won't have enough to actually hold the class. Then Grands need to pull w/the regular dogs, and can't earn division % or MWP, just their points based on the percentage they pull.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:32 pm

The folks pulling in Loomis are super nice! We have'nt made it up there since they are always scheduled for weekends when we're at flyball but I know some through Splash Dogs.

Return to “Dog Sports”