flirt pole flirt

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
The_pit_boy
Newborn Bully

flirt pole flirt

Postby The_pit_boy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:22 pm

not sure if this is in the right section but i am planning on making a flirt pole and wondering what a good flirt would be i was thinking a treated rabbit skin or cow skin ???

any advice on building and flirts let me know thanx all

Adrianne

Re: flirt pole flirt

Postby Adrianne » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:27 pm

I use a kong wubba on my flirt pole but any toy that the dog will love to chase is find. The brighter the color, stinkier the toy, and frillier the tails the better.

Bitework164 by AdrianneIsabel, on Flickr

Bitework161 by AdrianneIsabel, on Flickr

Bitework172 by AdrianneIsabel, on Flickr

Mine was made with a piece of pvc, boat rope and an old kong wubba that was falling apart already. Works great for the malinois.

The_pit_boy
Newborn Bully

Postby The_pit_boy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:30 pm

i was thinking along them lines thank you any other ideahs??????, another thing my baby doesnt jump she can when she wants to jump on the bed or chair but trying to get her to jump from floor for food ar toy she just springs up on to back legs and stands ???? is there a problem

DarkMoon
Super Bully

Postby DarkMoon » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:06 pm

Making a dog jump while going after the flirt is a good way to screw up their knee's and tear CCL's.

If your dog is under 2 years of age, keep jumping to a min. You don't want to hurt the growth plates and then have issues in the future. Your dog jumping on it's own is fine, but when it's running full speed chasing after a flirt (or agility jumps) it's not a good idea.

As for the flirt, I use a Horses Lunge Whip with a raccoon tail tied to it. Works like a charm even to my little drive dog.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:10 pm

Oh, I don't recommend the jumping, I should have added a disclaimer. The ideal of a flirt pole is low, fast and corners.

You can't keep our malinois on the ground and you can't move fast enough to keep the flirt out of their mouth so we do half circles and flirt it back the other direction.

The_pit_boy
Newborn Bully

Postby The_pit_boy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:43 pm

ok thats good to know well running and agility cornering jeeez she is fine at that, i just got bac from a walk with her,now im sure a few miles is enough to tire her out. well i got back and let her off her lead and its like freeeeeeeeddooooommmm vroooommmmm of she goes like a rocket up and down and runs around in a circle her little feet dont grip and drifts it, tis rather funny to watch he hehe

racoon tail he he he ill have to find summin like that,

also what age should i start sort of conditioning and pulling with her she could easily pull her body weight for ages (she pulls me enough lol) she weighs in at around 16kg approx 35.5 pounds but shes only about 5months (saw vet yesterday said she is all healthy and judging by teeth and body around 5 months)

thankyou keep the info coming

DarkMoon
Super Bully

Postby DarkMoon » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:25 pm

At 5.5 months old, take it easy. No running or jogging on the streets, as it can be very very damaging to the dogs joints. Walking is fine, jogging on grass fine, jogging on cement can be very dangerous later in life.

Agility you can start about a year of age as long as you do contact only no jumping.

Pulling you can start at any age though. Many people will say differently. It's BEST to not make your dog pull any major weight until they are fully grown, around 2 years of age (and after you've had knees, elbows, and heart tested and cleared of issues). You can start pulling now though, just the basics though, no need to condition a dog this young. Getting them use to a harness, having noising stuff being dragged behind them, getting them use to some resistance is also fine. Just take it easy! You wouldn't want a 10 year old trying to do what a 25yr old body builder can do. Even though you can start your dog pulling in different venues as young as 9 months, it doesn't mean its a good thing to do.

Right now is the PERFECT time to work on Obedience and Rally work, Tracking, and that type of work. Get a solid foundation down THEN start the heavy, high impact stuff like Agility and WP.

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:15 pm

DarkMoon wrote:At 5.5 months old, take it easy. No running or jogging on the streets, as it can be very very damaging to the dogs joints. Walking is fine, jogging on grass fine, jogging on cement can be very dangerous later in life.

Right now is the PERFECT time to work on Obedience and Rally work, Tracking, and that type of work. Get a solid foundation down THEN start the heavy, high impact stuff like Agility and WP.

x2

Flirt poles are great! Keep it low and let them "win" a lot.

Just keep in mind you have at least 12 or so years with this dog. You still want them to be able to walk into their golden years! With a puppy, do ground work stuff first. Tracking, obed, rally, etc. Agility is ok to start early, but don't push the jumping or raise the contact equipment too high. Jumps at about 4-6" are ok for puppies, something they can basically step over just so they get the idea of it. Always keep it fun and the sessions short.

I don't even put a harness on a dog for weight pull until they are two (and have done x-rays). Hasn't hindered me or my dog any. I also never correct a dog for pulling on any style of harness EVER. Harness always means ok to pull. Why confuse the dog and expect them to not pull on a harness for a year or two then expect them to pull on a harness? That's just a lot of wasted training time.

IMO a puppy should be just that... a puppy for at least the first year of their life. Don't push for anything too hard or stressful while they are young. A working dog will work harder and longer if they enjoy what you are asking them to do. I haven't, nor will I ever "work" a puppy until they are a year old. This isn't just me either, I train with a lot of serious dog sport people and they swear by this. The pup only does what is fun for the first year with little to no corrections, then after that year they start "heavy training" ie. doing what they are told instead of what they want.

Also keep in mind APBTs mature slow. I swear they don't get brains until they are 3! (If ever lol) And their body's mature slowly as well, reaching physical maturity somewhere between 3-4yrs old. Just because they are done growing doesn't mean they are done maturing.

Please keep in mind these are my opinions and may vary from other peoples. Just saying what works for me.

Return to “Dog Sports”