Hog Hunting--too dangerous for rescue dogs?

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Hog Hunting--too dangerous for rescue dogs?

Postby Pit Chick » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:09 pm

So I took a couple of fosters to have them tested for any hog hunting potential. To my surprise they actually have great potential. One is a 1-2 year old adult and one is a 5-6 month old pup, both Pit Bulls. I took them to a man that breeds and trains dogs for hog hunting and takes people on guided hunts. He's been in the game a long time and knows what he's doing. He keeps some hogs on his property for training purposes and he had one that was pretty tame that he let my fosters practice on. They went after it straight away with no hesitation. They worked as a team, had it cornered, chased it around the pen. The pup even went in for a few bites. I was proud of them and thought, okay, here's something they were meant for.

Now here's the kicker. The rescue group doesn't want them to be adopted into a hunting home. They think that no hunter would possibly meet the minimum requirements of care and they can't ethically send a dog to a home that will put them in harms way like that. Of course I have to respect their wishes, but I wish I could make them understand that not all hunters are backwoods rednecks that just chain their dogs outside and only take them off to hunt with them. And some dogs need jobs like this to be happy. I don't want to see them get hurt or killed, but at the same time, a short happy life is better than a long miserable one in a crate.

*sigh*

doglove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Hog Hunting--too dangerous for rescue dogs?

Postby doglove » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:50 pm

This is one of the main reasons I paid for a puppy from a breeder and drove 2000 + miles round trip to go pick him out, rather than adopting a perfectly suitable dog from a rescue. The restrictions some rescues place on their dogs don't work for me, and it's a crying shame that they are so narrow minded that they'd pass up a great working home just to place the dogs with someone who's going to toss a ball for them every now and then because it's 'safer'.

I totally get that it's a fine line between abuse and neglect and trying to figure out where the happy medium is when it comes to 'traditionally bad' homes like hunting homes. The thing is, that their ignorance is potentially costing two dogs a great home and I'm sure the hunter has PLENTY of prospects to choose from, if he's actively looking for a hog dog.

However, if the hunter is actively looking for more dogs, personally I'd suggest he try to volunteer some time with the rescue/shelter you're with if he's interested in your fosters or any of their other dogs. It's harder to ignore the fact that someone is not what you assume they are when they're right there in front of you proving otherwise.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:03 am

:goodpost:

I would rather see a dog working/hunting than being a couch potato if that is the dogs aptitude. I hunt with my JRT (in addition to GTG) as well as hunting/coursing jackrabbits with the Pit Bulls. The dogs have a blast, and I really don't see how the potential for injury would render me a "bad home." They are doing what they love! A working terrier is a happy terrier. Have they gotten injured? yes. But they get immediate vet care, and are never forced to do something beyond their ability or comfort level. They are calm, happy, and balanced in day to day life.

I would think it would be a good idea to screen working/hunting homes to assure they have a level of commitment to the animal, and will treat the dog as a living thing, and not a commodity.

Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Postby Pit Chick » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:26 pm

I even told them any hunting home would have to meet the same requirements as any other home and would even have to go through extra screening by the man that tested the dogs. He also works with a Catahoula rescue and they trust his judgement, but that still didn't matter.

Don't get me wrong, they have been a great group and lack the infighting and politics of most groups but I strongly disagree with this decision.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:32 pm

Kudos to the rescue group.

He keeps some hogs on his property for training purposes and he had one that was pretty tame that he let my fosters practice on. They went after it straight away with no hesitation. They worked as a team, had it cornered, chased it around the pen. The pup even went in for a few bites.

What a fair thing.Chasing and biting a penned animal.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:21 pm

Red wrote:Kudos to the rescue group.

He keeps some hogs on his property for training purposes and he had one that was pretty tame that he let my fosters practice on. They went after it straight away with no hesitation. They worked as a team, had it cornered, chased it around the pen. The pup even went in for a few bites.

:goodpost:

doglove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby doglove » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:45 pm

Red wrote:Kudos to the rescue group.

What a fair thing, to set an untrained dog on a WILD hog and watch it be gored to death when it doesn't know how to hold it properly. Those dogs provide a public service - the hunter may be profiting but those hogs are destroying property, livestock, and crops and they ARE man-made. Wild hogs like these are not native animals to North America. They will attack your children on their way to the school bus stop. They will break down your fence to dig through your garden and then maul your pets and chickens to death. The very worst part is they spread disease.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:52 pm

doglove wrote:What a fair thing, to set an untrained dog on a WILD hog and watch it be gored to death when it doesn't know how to hold it properly.

Ah yes, it is better to have HIM/HER ("it" is for non living things) gored after some training.

afrikaPB
Matured Bully

Postby afrikaPB » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:11 pm

Those dogs provide a public service - the hunter may be profiting but those hogs are destroying property, livestock, and crops and they ARE man-made. Wild hogs like these are not native animals to North America. They will attack your children on their way to the school bus stop. They will break down your fence to dig through your garden and then maul your pets and chickens to death. The very worst part is they spread disease.

:shakeit: Wild pigs are SCARY. Scary huge, and scary aggressive.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:33 pm

I'd see the over population issues curved with a good shot and a gun than a dog's teeth tearing into flesh.

But that's just me.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:49 pm

Celesteandthebullies wrote:I'd see the over population issues curved with a good shot and a gun than a dog's teeth tearing into flesh.

But that's just me.

Hogs aren't always that easy to find...I mean while there is a huge over population of them, using a gun isn't always the right thing to do, especially when it comes to residential type of areas or livestock. It's easier to bay them up, and send in the catch dogs, and then handle business from there. Not to mention, a gun shot doesn't mean instant death to the hog.

I am all for hog hunting, I mean Paver's line has been bred for generations for the work, however there should be ethics in place when doing catch work.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:53 pm

I know it doesn't mean instant death always. I am no expert on guns but wouldn't a elephant gun do the job?

I don't mind using the dogs to find them. If they're in public areas they could be tranquilized then killed. :dunno:

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:03 am

Also, not trying to sound like I know about hog hunting. I'm open to anything if proven wrong. I'm just not quick to jump along without possibilities explored. (I posted those replies in order to hopefully gain more information :) )

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:57 am

ProudMommy77 wrote:Hogs aren't always that easy to find...I mean while there is a huge over population of them, using a gun isn't always the right thing to do, especially when it comes to residential type of areas or livestock. It's easier to bay them up, and send in the catch dogs, and then handle business from there. Not to mention, a gun shot doesn't mean instant death to the hog.

I am all for hog hunting, I mean Paver's line has been bred for generations for the work, however there should be ethics in place when doing catch work.

x2

Good grief. I knew this was going to go downhill when I saw the title. Probably not the best forum to discuss hog hunting.

doglove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby doglove » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:48 am

Celesteandthebullies wrote:Also, not trying to sound like I know about hog hunting. I'm open to anything if proven wrong. I'm just not quick to jump along without possibilities explored. (I posted those replies in order to hopefully gain more information :) )

Shooting hogs is perfectly possible... if you ever managed to catch them walking around out of the brush outside of a residential area or away from the public in general where no one will get killed by a stray bullet or run over by an angry pig. They're smart animals and stick to places where they're safe. Those kinds of places are where we can't go, but dogs can. They'll go into the brush, hold the dangerous hog still, and then the hunter can end it.

For the record I'm not a fan of hog hunting, but I have spent the vast majority of my adult life in hog areas and have known many hunters. ALL of the people I know use body armor on their dogs. It is a must, and anyone who doesn't should go wrestle a hog themselves.

Return to “Dog Sports”