Hog Hunting--too dangerous for rescue dogs?

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
jamielvsaustin

Re: Hog Hunting--too dangerous for rescue dogs?

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:08 pm

So, what's your alternative Red?

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:49 am

I don't know.. I just see that dogs have had the natural instinct to hunt game, often in packs, for tens of thousands of years. I'd question how much "training" they'd need and even how much "training" is actually possible.

I do see your points Baha and will again agree thag practice makes perfect. I just don't condone practice that involves such poor treatment of animals, invasive species or not.

Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Postby Pit Chick » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:17 pm

Red,
dog fighting is a senseless, cruel sport. Hog hunting serves many purposes and the hogs are eaten when killed, no one eats dead fighting dogs. I made the comparison on conditioning only.

The practice hogs are very well cared for and in exchange they have to take a few bites which I would be surprised if they even feel given how tough and thick skinned they are. Boars fight each other in the wild with sharp tusks, they have to be tough to survive.

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:34 pm

Well cared for is not the description I'd use for a captive animal that is baited.

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:31 pm

MikeZev wrote:Well cared for is not the description I'd use for a captive animal that is baited.

:goodpost:

There would be outcry if people kept a dog for that purpose.

Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Postby Pit Chick » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:42 pm

buckaroo wrote:
MikeZev wrote:Well cared for is not the description I'd use for a captive animal that is baited.

Eradicating an invasive pest that causes all harm and no good has a different set of standards. The methods for killing rats is far from humane, yet it's acceptable because they spread disease, destroy our homes, eat our food, eat the eggs and chicks of native birds. Hogs do most of that as well.

If rats weighed 300lbs, dogs would probably need a little practice before taking them on as well.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:04 pm

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how many hogs die, they will always be over populated, there is no controlling of them. The wild hogs are out of control, they have no natural enemies, here or over in Europe.

Most hunters send dogs out with heavily experienced dogs, and these are dogs that have been bred for generation, upon generation for the hunt, for those dogs it's a natural instinct, monkey see, monkey do, they get flipped by the hog, or charged, they have to learn on their own the best way to hold, there is no real exact science to it, they go in, and latch on to the ear, or face, and they hold on for the ride. A lot of times they have to figure it out on their own. A lot of bay dogs, don't bite the hog, they keep it cornered or bayed up, until you send in your catch dogs, which it's usually two or so. The hunter comes in couples the hog, and finishes the job.

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:23 pm

Pit Chick wrote:
buckaroo wrote:

Eradicating an invasive pest that causes all harm and no good has a different set of standards. The methods for killing rats is far from humane, yet it's acceptable because they spread disease, destroy our homes, eat our food, eat the eggs and chicks of native birds. Hogs do most of that as well.

If rats weighed 300lbs, dogs would probably need a little practice before taking them on as well.

i guess theres just a difference of opinion here. pigs happen to be very intelligent, aware animals but i'm certainly no vegan and i accept the moral implications of where my food comes from. in fact, i'd much rather eat an animal that lived its life in the wild and experienced 5 minutes of stress before it died than an animal that lived it whole miserable life on a factory farm. in the end though, pest or not (which isnt even thier own fault) they deserve the dignity that any other living thing does. if you're gonna kill it, then kill it. dont muck with it.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:32 pm

I saw on DirecTV there is a new reality show starting soon about hog hunting with dogs.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:55 pm

Mike, I think the purpose is to kill it, not so much muck with it. I'm sure these guys wouldn't bother to keep captive hogs if they didn't need them to school young dogs. But I can respect your opinion here. Its not exactly a picturesque thing. There's no way to paint it up all pretty. Hunting hogs is brutal, and most aren't cut out for it. I'd think twice before putting my dogs up against an adversary like that.

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:27 am

As a rescue placing dogs, and answering the question originally asked, no, dogs coming out of my rescue would definitely NOT be put into a hog hunting home. Cut out for it or not. Sorry, I think there is a BIG difference b/w going from 'a short life hunting hogs or being miserable crated all day'. I don't allow that either. Probably why I place so few dogs. Either one of those are too extreme.

Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Postby Pit Chick » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:14 pm

Kirstan wrote:As a rescue placing dogs, and answering the question originally asked, no, dogs coming out of my rescue would definitely NOT be put into a hog hunting home. Cut out for it or not. Sorry, I think there is a BIG difference b/w going from 'a short life hunting hogs or being miserable crated all day'. I don't allow that either. Probably why I place so few dogs. Either one of those are too extreme.

I used to be the same way. I was too picky. But when you sit on dogs for too long that's not fair to them. There's nothing wrong with having high standards, but at some point you have to re-evaluate those standards when dogs aren't getting adopted. If dogs aren't getting adopted, other dogs aren't getting help.

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:06 am

Yes, I take fewer dogs in for sure - but, either me keeping one or turning him/her out for hogdogging, I'd keep him/her. The question was yes/no for hogdogging, I say no for the dogs in my rescue. I think either hogdogging or uber crating are far too extreme for my taste.

Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Postby Pit Chick » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:51 pm

Different dogs require different homes. A pet home just isn't always suitable for all dogs, even those in rescue. We owe it to the dogs we rescue to find homes that are the best match for them.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:03 pm

pblove wrote:I saw on DirecTV there is a new reality show starting soon about hog hunting with dogs.

I tried to watch it last week to see what Hog Hunting was all about (I had not even heard about it until coming to PBF) and couldnt. The squealing of the pigs when the dogs were biting them was too much for me.

They showed three trapped hogs in a cage at one point, acting completely docile and looked rather alot like domestic pigs. :dunno:

Return to “Dog Sports”