Energy/Performance Supplements

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Energy/Performance Supplements

Postby merriterrier » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:20 pm

I am currently not using any supplements (specific to performance/sports), however I have been considering adding at least a recovery supplement. My concern is that there are days when I am asking my dog(s) to work their butts off for several hours straight. I have noticed that after some of the more grueling days it takes several hours (possibly a day) for them to "bounce back." Some of the folks I hunt with use products like superfuel etc and swear it helps with their energy and recovery time.

Do you use energy or performance supplements? If so what type/brand? How do you like it? If you do not use supplements; why?

Team Peanut
Newborn Bully

Re: Energy/Performance Supplements

Postby Team Peanut » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:00 pm

k9 godog. works great.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:05 pm

I use K9 Super Fuel for Dakota. I've noticed he has more energy and recovers much faster. We did a day of sprint and oval racing then later on that day we did weight pulling. I like it.

I've heard good things about K9 Go Dog too

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:41 pm

We've tried almost everything including GoDog, Super Fuel, and Vertex. I have to say that I really haven't seen any noticeable differences with my dogs. We usually get generous sample of these sorts of things in welcome bags and what not.

I do buy and freeze the applesauce squeezers with no sugar and give the dog about 1/2 after they race. I also try to feed higher fat, boneless foods during the tournament. oh and Co Q-10. I give that everyday though. For the day or so later, I notice that it's mostly soreness from being tired and wanting to just lay about and sleep so I get them up regularly and get them walking around the back yard.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:49 pm

Thanks!

I will try the applesauce idea and add the Co Q-10!

I currently feed raw and give bones 3-4 days a week. I supplement with fish oil, seameal, and joint formula. I was thinking I might be able to adjust their diet etc. to better meet their needs. What I am feeding is working fine for my other dogs, but they expend less energy (and for less sustained periods of time) than the working dogs.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:26 pm

My friend with a racing bred whippet says that she was told to fed minimal bone for a few days before and after a competition. They are also fans of Green Tripe during those times.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:02 pm

Cool! I will try decreasing bones during that time. Does your friend feed just tripe before/after comp? a guy we course with feeds green tripe exclusively to his lurchers pre/post hunt, but I have been adding only like a spoonful to their bowls a few times a week.

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions and help. :)

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:42 pm

merriterrier wrote:Cool! I will try decreasing bones during that time. Does your friend feed just tripe before/after comp? a guy we course with feeds green tripe exclusively to his lurchers pre/post hunt, but I have been adding only like a spoonful to their bowls a few times a week.

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions and help. :)

For quite a long time, yes! Including a 3 day road trip from California to St. Louis for Nationals. She doesn't all the time lately because he will eat his other raw food now. I think she's still mostly GT whenever she isn't traveling to a tournament.

Team Peanut
Newborn Bully

Postby Team Peanut » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:39 pm

i also do stretching and massage for pre and post workouts.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:40 am

I do have them warm up and cool down, but I don't do massage (although they do see a canine massage therapist 1xmo). Great idea! Thanks

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:49 am

Molly is a pet, not a sport/working dog, but if we have had an outing where she has had a chance to run around off leash or we've been on a long hike, I give her raw honey as a recovery supplement. I also give her local raw honey about half the year to help with her seasonal allergies (which are pretty mild and the addition of local pollen from the raw honey seems to help her immune system react less to the environmental allergies).

Here is an article I just found but I have seen better ones from previous searching – it talks about some uses of raw honey and mentions it as a good pre- and post-workout supplement for humans:
http://www.champlainvalleyhoney.com/benefitsofhoney.htm

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:47 am

Wow! very interesting! Thanks for the info! Never heard of that before. I have raw honey on hand, so that will be easy to try (funny, I bought it last week cause it was on sale cheaper than the regular honey lol ).

We are coursing this evening, so I'll be watching to see if any of the short term changes make a difference. Thanks again folks!

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:43 pm

The girls did great last night! I noticed a considerable difference feeding no bone and 1/2 meat 1/2 GT. I also gave them a spoonful of the raw honey after running and it really seemed to perk them up. We did a cool down massage when we got home (Lydia LOVED it). Lydia was lazy today, but not really exhausted, and Victoria had enough spunk to play Frisbee for a good 20min after her walk. Lydia takes it more seriously and I think hers is partially mental exhaustion. This is basically what I was hoping for.

I added the Co Q-10 since I read up, and feel it is a good idea. But don't think they have been on it long enough to comment.

I also found out about a canine massage clinic, so I am going to go to that and hopefully learn some techniques (any techniques!).

Thanks a lot!
Robin

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:32 pm

Fantastic!!!

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:31 pm

I use DMG for Vi. I buy the horse version as that's like $15 for a 3 month supply and dose it down to dog weight. I noticed a big difference in recovery time after events, and it has all kinds of other good health benefits.

Return to “Dog Sports”