TESS CD!!!

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

TESS CD!!!

Postby Sarah » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:16 pm

You have no idea how happy I am to be finished with that title. Tess has been a terrible obedience dog, she just has a hard time damping down enough to do something so slow, and the group stays are stressful for her. I decided quite a while ago that she wouldn't do obedience past Novice, but I could not get her to qualify for her 3rd leg.

My hopes for her 3rd leg with this latest entry were dim. It was our National Specialty (the show was a terrier specialty, which for this year was designated as our nationals), and I was also entered in the associated agility trial. I thought obedience would be in the morning on Friday, as it has in the past, with agility starting in the afternoon. But they scheduled the obedience to start at 2:40. Agility starting at noon. In August. What turned out to be one of the hottest weekends of the year.

Me and another terrier person who was also in the agility trial were half the terrier obedience entries. Total of 6, I was one, Moose the PRT was 2 more (Utility & Open B). His owner talked to the trial secretary beforehand and came up with a possible solution, we talked to the judge and she agreed to judge our 2 dogs in JWW while the big dogs were walking the Standard course. We found people to set bars for us (since Moose jumps 12" and Tess 16"), ran our Standard course in order, ran the JWW course. Tess QQ'd, yay! Then we packed our dogs up and headed the 1/2 mile to where the conformation/obedience were.

We had to wait, because obedience was running behind (they were doing the Working group first, guess they had a specialty too). Finally got in there. Moose Q'd in Open B for High in Trial with a super score of 196, yay for them! Then we got to Novice. Tess was her usual sloppy self. The heeling pattern was long. Did her group stays, in the shade thankfully, with an Amstaff on one side and a Manchester on the other, and apparently those dogs looked safe, because she didn't vocalize. Tess was the only Q, with a whopping score of 179.5 lol , so 1st place and a new title!
:nana: :yipee: :headbang:

Judge commented that Tess is like 5' away on the heel, but she's consistent, and her attention is good. roflmao

Since she was the only SBT competing in obedience, and qualified, she got the High Stafford in Trial award. I'll get a photo sometime. It's breakable. I am very happy, and proud of her. Got a photo for the title, since it's the only obedience photo she'll ever get.

Next day in agility, she qualified in Open FAST to finish that title, so she got both titles she was eligible for the weekend. And her son Pirate qualified in his first Standard agility run. :yipee:
Tess is now:
UWP UAGII AKC/UKC CH Flyin DayDream Londons Burning CD MX MXJ OF AAD CGC TT

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: TESS CD!!!

Postby Nichole » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:26 pm

man, that's a lot of letters! CONGRATS!

I don't think I'll do any rally or obedience that requires a group stay - maybe even the off leash work. I'm just not sure my nerves could take that with her reactivity - at a dog show! Good job Tess for being able to do all of that!

chako
Bully Ambassador

Postby chako » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:38 pm

Woo Hoo, Tess! (And Woo Hoo to you, too, for all that hard work!)

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:00 pm

Nichole wrote:man, that's a lot of letters! CONGRATS!

I don't think I'll do any rally or obedience that requires a group stay - maybe even the off leash work. I'm just not sure my nerves could take that with her reactivity - at a dog show! Good job Tess for being able to do all of that!

Yeah, Tess is a little reactive, but not bad. I felt okay with the Novice stays, because I can do something if it looks like another dog will approach her. Open groups would worry me too much, since I can't be there to watch. Tess' stays are solid (except in agility :oops: ), so I know that she will stay where she is, the only worry is if another dog is going to come up to her, and if one does, there would be a longish moment before she responded. So time for me to do something, if I'm there.

My previous Staffords, Elmo & Tully, were pretty easy going, so I never worried about them. They wouldn't have done anything unless attacked. Most likely, they'd just come find me if the other dog made them uncomfortable. Tess might choose to snark if another dog was invading her personal space, and then Tess would get blamed for it. And it's just not fair to her to put her in that position, knowing she doesn't like it.

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:34 pm

I should clarify I was talking about Vi. I could probably do all that with Sadie if I put forth the work. Vi is much better than she used to be but I don't trust her at all without a leash to keep her in check. All they have to do is look at her too long - from a distance - and she lunges. Her warnings are, um, not subtle! The only thing Sadie doesn't tolerate is humping lol

Next time I see you around I will make a point to say hello to Tess. Sounds like she did great this last weekend.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:34 pm

I know how you feel about this by your posts on the UKC board, but you're not even tempted to put a URO1 (and UWP) on her for Superdog? You've already got the hardest stuff out of the way, at least by my book. ;) Congrats!

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:57 pm

bahamutt99 wrote:I know how you feel about this by your posts on the UKC board, but you're not even tempted to put a URO1 (and UWP) on her for Superdog? You've already got the hardest stuff out of the way, at least by my book. ;) Congrats!

She has a UWP, I'd have to get the last leg of the UCD, and the rally title. I strongly resent the fact that the UKC took an unofficial title and added another "requirement" to it that proves nothing other than the owner has money to spare. If they made it an official title, they could do whatever they wanted, but as an unofficial title that they didn't originate, I think it's obnoxious. Rally novice proves nothing that novice obedience doesn't prove, it's the same training, the obedience title is harder.

Tess really isn't keen on obedience, and dragging her around for a rally title and to finish the obedience title for something that isn't even official seems like a stupid waste of our time, and my rather scant funds. I'm really not sure I'm ever going to do any UKC events again at all. I'm not saying "never" right now, but I'm not much tempted. Pirate isn't even UKC registered.

We're going to do things that Tess likes, which means agility, and hopefully some lure coursing. AKC has all breed lure coursing tests now, and Tess is pretty passionate about chasing the baggie, so I'm hoping to get her out for some of that. UKC can kiss Tessie's shiny black butt, they don't seem to care about their exhibitors, so I'm not much caring about them.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:02 pm

Sometimes I forget that there are folks here who have AKC breeds. When you said Tess CD, I was thinking UCD. And lord knows why I missed the UWP when you listed her full name. Fail. Sorry. :oops:

FWIW, I agree with you. For them to add extra requirements, they need to at least print off a damn certificate. I'm sure the cost of attending 3 RO trials to get the title more than covers the cost of the paper.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:04 pm

:headbang:
Good Work!

lluksa
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby lluksa » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:39 pm

Congratulations!

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:49 am

Congrats!!!!! Martin just got his first leg toward his CD this week end. We got second place with a horrendous heeling pattern.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:27 pm

Kingsgurl wrote:Congrats!!!!! Martin just got his first leg toward his CD this week end. We got second place with a horrendous heeling pattern.

Congrats to you and Martin! :thumbsup:

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:45 pm

congratulations! nice work!

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:43 pm

NICE WORK and holy letters batman!!

Return to “Dog Sports”