Disc Dog?

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
abbybaby2011
Adolescent Bully

Disc Dog?

Postby abbybaby2011 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:33 pm

So I have seriously been considering this with Petey & Abby, they even hear the word frisbee & they go nuts!! :yipee:
They can do quite a few tricks, flips & things. Petey more than Abby since she is still young and I do not want to put stress on her joints. Any advice, information, opionions, tips?

abbybaby2011
Adolescent Bully

Re: Disc Dog?

Postby abbybaby2011 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:59 am

bumping this up to hopefully get some advice.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:41 am

I know a bunch of disc dog people but I don't know anyone on PBF. I think your best bet would be to search your area for disc dog clubs. Try googling your state or metropolitan area and "disc dog".

abbybaby2011
Adolescent Bully

Postby abbybaby2011 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:37 pm

I took your advice and Googled it, but the only thing that came up was the championships last year in Chattonoga TN, which is just a couple hours away from me. but no club info or anything. But I am not giving up hope yet 8)

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:50 pm

I don't train for competitions or anything but I do a lot of disc games with a couple of the dogs. They can do tricks and are pretty good at it. Do you have specific questions?

I think teaching your dogs the basics is important, how to track the disc, jump and land, that sort of thing. I have about 10 Hyperflite dog discs so I can both practice my throwing and help the dogs learn what they are supposed to do. Trying to getting consistent throws is one of the challenging parts, learning to throw in wind and whatnot. I do a bunch of short twenty foot throws and then a long throw to keep it interesting and at first I tried my best not to make the dogs jump. Until they learn how to jump and land it can be dangerous. It is always dangerous actually, but less so if the dogs practice with you first.

One thing I found helpful is that my dogs have reliable "outs" so I can tell them to drop the disc from any distance and they do it right away and are ready for another throw. I can keep them running really hard that way and they seem to enjoy it more. Another thing that makes things fun is I also trained them to bring the disc in close, drop it and then circle around behind me so I can sorta slingshot them away from me by throwing the disc. It is like a continuous loop.

Disc is lots of fun.

Return to “Dog Sports”