dog backpacks?

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
tigerstripe11
Newborn Bully

dog backpacks?

Postby tigerstripe11 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:21 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but.....
Rico is 6 1/2 months old, and walks just do not seem to tire him out EVER. I'm looking into doggie backpacks to add a little weight to tire him out (just water bottles since he's so young.) Is he too young for this?

tigerstripe11
Newborn Bully

Re: dog backpacks?

Postby tigerstripe11 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:45 pm

um never mind i found all the info i need in training lol. cant figure out how to delete this post

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:50 pm

6.5 months is too young to wear a backpack since he's still growing. Instead of mindless walking, you can tire him out with tricks, training and learning new things!

tigerstripe11
Newborn Bully

Postby tigerstripe11 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:23 pm

FransterDoo wrote:6.5 months is too young to wear a backpack since he's still growing. Instead of mindless walking, you can tire him out with tricks, training and learning new things!

we walk around the lake where i live and there are these big rock walls (more like boulders) that form huge steps and he loves to climb on those. and we climb up steep hills and we run some. Every walk is an adventure for him...........so i wouldnt call it mindless walking. I also train him and teach him new things all the time. He just has tons of energy.

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:44 pm

You might want to try playing nosework games with your adolescent. He is much too young to carry a pack for long distances.

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MarMar » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:25 pm

Agree x100 with mental exercise. While he needs physical exercise as well, you won't be able to exhaust him into being good. In addition to walks and training sessions look into teaching him to relax. Some dogs are able to relax on their own (my APBT will) but others will never do it on their own and need help (my GSD is 8.5 and she needs "help" to be able to calm down). Chill Out Fido by Nan Kene Arthur is a great book to check out.

AllisonPitbullLvr

dog backpacks?

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri May 18, 2012 5:17 am

Any thoughts on ruffwear versus outward hound? I just want a backpack for Obi to wear while we're walking around town in the mornings before I leave for work. So I don't know if I can justify spending $100 unless the outward hound ones really suck.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Sat May 19, 2012 4:07 pm

I really don't care for the Outward Hound one I have. It works but it doesn't stay even close to straight on my dog no matter what I do. If I find a good deal on a Ruffwear one again sometime when I have the cash, I'll be buying one. I like that their straps come up between the dog's front legs instead of across the front of their shoulders- it gives the dog more free reach to use their front legs appropriately- important to me when we're hiking and scrambling.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Sat May 19, 2012 5:52 pm

I have an outward hound small one that I don't remember the name for, its held up for a few years though doesn't hold much. Also have aruffwear approach pack which is much sturdier and holds a lot more. I got it on Ebay lightly used for less then in store. If the packs are the same price is say go ruffwear.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Sat May 19, 2012 5:59 pm

Ive heard good things about the ezydog packs as well which utilize their chest plate harness design (and are on ebay for $60). Ive also seen ruffwear packs on kijiji from time to time.

AllisonPitbullLvr

dog backpacks?

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat May 19, 2012 7:04 pm

I bought an outward hound one because it was on clearance and I figured if we didn't like it, I'm not out much.

So far I've just had him wear it around empty and it seems to fit well, doesn't slide around and doesn't bother him at all. It will definitely make a difference in sure once we have added some weight to it.

I won't use it on any strenuous hikes, I really only want it to make our walks around town count for more so we'll see if it even does the trick!

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Sat May 19, 2012 7:07 pm

I never had issues with ours as long as the weight is balanced, got it on clearance to!

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

ChevellesMomma
Adolescent Bully

dog backpacks?

Postby ChevellesMomma » Sat May 19, 2012 8:04 pm

I would think a VERY small amount of weight would be just fine. I did it with mine when she was that age. It wasn't a lot and easy to carry, it was just enough to give her an extra notch of tiredness when she was done.

AllisonPitbullLvr

dog backpacks?

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat May 19, 2012 8:07 pm

I assume you're talking to the OP, but just to clarify in case anyone is confused, Obi is five and a half.

MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Mon May 21, 2012 1:23 pm

Outward Hound should work well for a light, around town pack. I don't like were it sits on the dog (over the back) and it will get lopsided very easily but if you have two small, even-sized weights you should be fine.
Ruffwear is far superior in the way it fits but it does come with quite a price tag.

Return to “Dog Sports”