Cani-Cross

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Cani-Cross

Postby MissKitty » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:37 pm

I am curious if there are any people doing Cani-Cross with their dog.

I am looking into it but I am not quite sure how to do it with a deaf dog lol

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Re: Cani-Cross

Postby Stormi » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:58 pm

I thought of doing that with Jack a while back before his arthritis hit. The only couple of ways I can think of off-hand is if you had a cart set up so that he was next to you rather than in-front, like you would to bike with a dog (kind of defeating the pulling portion of the sport), or maybe some sort of light system or gentle tap to signal different directions. It's always possible you could rig up a vibrating collar to have two locations of vibration to signal right and left, too. I've not tried it, so I can't say how well any of these would work, but just throwing some ideas out there ;) Let me know if you actually try it. I just stumbled across an interesting documentary on the Iditorod this past weekend, so my curiosity is peaked.

MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Stormi wrote:I thought of doing that with Jack a while back before his arthritis hit. The only couple of ways I can think of off-hand is if you had a cart set up so that he was next to you rather than in-front, like you would to bike with a dog (kind of defeating the pulling portion of the sport), or maybe some sort of light system or gentle tap to signal different directions. It's always possible you could rig up a vibrating collar to have two locations of vibration to signal right and left, too. I've not tried it, so I can't say how well any of these would work, but just throwing some ideas out there ;) Let me know if you actually try it. I just stumbled across an interesting documentary on the Iditorod this past weekend, so my curiosity is peaked.

Not bad ideas :)

I was thinking of putting a gentle leader on him (or maybe just a collar?) and attaching two leashes like reins. Then using the 'silky leash' training and teaching Apollo to go towards the gentle pressure, like a horse! So you could have a left, right and brakes lol

randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby randomroads » Wed May 16, 2012 12:45 pm

It's pretty easy to teach a dog left right and halt with leash pressure, and you'd be surprised but they'll pick it up on their BODY easier than they will on their head or neck. I accidentally taught my dog to move left or right by letting the leash touch whatever side I wanted him to move away from, and then did it on purpose with a different dog. Fairly easy!

PBF lurker
Newborn Bully

Postby PBF lurker » Fri May 18, 2012 3:43 pm

They have dog-powered scooters where the dog runs on the side, too.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Fri May 18, 2012 5:46 pm

sounds like some are confused as to what Cani-cross is.

This is cani-cross

I do bikejoring with Dakota, recreational, no cani-cross though. I'm too out of shape.

Return to “Dog Sports”