How do you feel about the Kong Harness?

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
randomroads
Matured Bully

How do you feel about the Kong Harness?

Postby randomroads » Wed May 16, 2012 12:49 pm

It's got a padded handle for the human and looks to be decent quality. I picked it up for my dog so we could start doing tracking since using a collar keeps confusing her and she picks up her head when she's supposed to be ground scenting.

Any other recommendations for harness or tracking gear? We're using a 6 foot leather leash for now because we're no where near advanced enough for her to be way out in front of me.

crlovel
Newborn Bully

Re: How do you feel about the Kong Harness?

Postby crlovel » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:50 am

Both of my dogs have Kong harnesses. The handle is very handy, the harness on Joker has been lasting with no signs of wear since last January.

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:47 am

If you track in a collar, the line should be under one of the dogs' front legs as pictured here.
This style of tracking is used in IPO (Schutzhund).
The collar under the leg actually prevents (for the most part) the dog from lifting its' head from the track.

Use your long line to practice, you will need to get used to handling that line anyway. Just hold the line where you are most comfortable now and let the rest drag behind you. You will eventually need the rest of the line, may as well get used to handling it now. In the above photo, I am just out of the camera shot, maybe 6 or 7 feet behind my dog and I am using a 30 foot line. My dog is in both a harness and a collar because I was in the process of switching from IPO tracking to AKC tracking (which requires a harness).

As for gear, I am getting a harness from BDD (weightpullharness.com). She custom made one for me and Vi will be the first to try it out. I will let you know next week when I get it in how awesome it is lol.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:49 pm

The Kong Harnesses I saw were too overpriced for my blood, I could get better quality for cheaper in some situations. I really like Brown Dog Designs walking harnesses, nice padding, custom fit I believe

I've heard good things about CDpits' walking harnesses too
http://www.cdpits.ca/cgi-bin/itsmy/go.e ... dir=cdpits

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:40 pm

BDD actually made me a custom harness for tracking, It isn't one of her walking harnesses. It's basically a nylon version of the expensive leather harnesses you see in Schutzhund. I can't wait to put it through its paces and test it out.

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:00 pm

I got my BDD harness in today and I LOVE it! I would absolutely recommend one for tracking and/or dog sport. As a bonus, you can order one in whatever color/s you want. I choose red with black because that is Vi's "color" and all of her equipment is in that combination. Here is a link to my "review" on the BDD Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=501769303185020&set=o.107483652665711&type=1&ref=nf

This is not a walking harness, it is a dog sport harness. Used mostly in Schutzhund and also for tracking. It is an acceptable tracking harness in AKC.

randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby randomroads » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:07 pm

Just wanted to update that I love this Kong harness. It's working really well for us! Eventually I'd like to get something that looks nicer but for now... very happy!

Return to “Dog Sports”