"weight pull training" at my local shelter (uh oh)

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

"weight pull training" at my local shelter (uh oh)

Postby MikeZev » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:59 am

Hey gang - I wanted to see if I can maybe get some input/suggestions from Leslie, Ellie, Jenn and the rest of the wp people here. I sent an email to the shelter staff about this video saying that theres some potentially concerning stuff about the way this is being conducted (its pretty cringe-worthy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qShzbLMQegg&feature=youtu.be

Here is a link to the trainer... [url]http://​www.suesternberg.com/​03programs/04lugnuts.html[/url]

Any suggestions on resources or a general approach to get these guys off a dangerous track? (no pun intended)

Thanks!

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Re: "weight pull training" at my local shelter (uh oh)

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:23 pm

I can't go into depth as I've got to leave. but... why would you encourage pulling in a dog that's trying to find a home in the general public? That makes little sense to me.... Especially when they're not training a clear command to pull and one to stop.

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:27 pm

i mentioned exactly that and the baiting in my email

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:37 pm

Yeah, definitely don't want to bait them. I'd also want to work on calming him down so he's not so frantic while pulling. You want them to pull nice and steady so they don't get frustrated if they can't go fast on a heavier load (or get discouraged). With my two I start out with basic harness, and attach a very light chain. Walk them around a bit in a heel position just to get them used to the feel of pulling something.

Once I get them used to the proper harness, and start adding weight I'll mark and reward the proper posture ( head down), and mark for staying at a low pace. It worked well for my Al, with Dakota I had to just add one extra thing, put a leash on him and stop if he starts going too fast (attached to the collar, not the harness, I also said "nope" which is his no reward marker)

Teaching a clear start and stop is always important, you want the dog to be calm and focused, not frustrated on a heavy pull.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:35 pm

My understanding was that the intent of the Lug Nuts program was to give an option other than fighting to owners of APBT. A way to prove their dog, without the risk/illegality. It's supposed to help develop the bond between owner and pet. Competitions offer prize money, and also try to promote responsible ownership, which is great. I don't think it was intended to be used on dogs that were looking for homes.

As to the training style itself, it's suitable for the intent of the program. You get pretty immediate results. Impressive to the uninitiated, and a good way to get someone interested. Totally different from those of us who train with the intent to compete seriously, as you know Mike. I really don't like the harness they're using, and the leash around the neck. So I see this as a way to exersize a dog, but not as meaningful training.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:56 am

Hey Mike, nice seeing you around, hope you are doing ok.
Not familiar with the Lug Nuts program, but when I see the name Sue Sternberg ...ugh.I like for dogs to be alive after they grab a toy, o show normal terrier behavior, but that is just me.

In this particular situation, with shelter dogs and volunteers trying to get them adopted (correct?), I think we can sort of understand what we see, and look to improve it. Somewhat reasonable weights ( looks like the dog might have practiced a bit before or he is not bothered by things dragged behind him) and he is not forced to pull with some BS methods. Inappropriate use of reinforcement and less then ideal track for beginners, yes.That is not the way some of start our dogs, with inappropriate equipment and baiting. Actually, let me go back a bit....that is how most people start their dogs, because of ignorance, including those who now want to sound like experts. I think that the folks in the video are maybe trying to get people interested in shelter dogs that can one day compete. It is not the way I would do thing, WP training wise, but I would cut them some slack if they are willing to learn more. When you have people buying dogs for WP competition with no experience, including dogs from questionable breeders, you might want to point out that rescue dogs can get titles too and owners can start building a relationship to get to it with some guidelines. There is NOTHING wrong with people encouraging competing in WP with their rescue dogs, as long as there is some common sense in place.

All my rescue rejects have titles in WP and I'd be happy take some videos for you in that case. I shape for head down and "steady walk" from the get going, and others don't really care about it, just my own thing.It would be great if you could educate your shelter folks about proper training and how to start dogs in WP. I I am sure that those volunteers/people in the videos meant well but don't know any better so some help would be nice.

chinchi_&_chupa
Super Bully

Postby chinchi_&_chupa » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:18 pm

Red wrote:Hey Mike, nice seeing you around, hope you are doing ok.

You too Red!

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:20 pm

Thanks so much for the input guys, I appreciate it. We'll see what kind of response I get.

Things are going really well on my end, i hope you all can say the same!

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:57 pm

Since the group is local maybe offer to come in an do a seminar for the volunteers or offer to help "teach" the class. I would have to guess they would appreciate someone with experience showing them the ropes.

Return to “Dog Sports”