Starting puppy on flyball

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
fr4nnie
Adolescent Bully

Starting puppy on flyball

Postby fr4nnie » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:28 pm

I have searched around and have gotten different opinions.

I would like to know what is the right age to introduce a dog to flyball. I have a 5 months old puppy (sbt) and I already contacted a team and they will teach me and the dog flyball. However I started researching and most people say to avoid any running jumping until at least a year old. But I have talked to people who say it is fine as long as you don’t overdue.

For the flyball experts, what do you recommend, what is the right age?

Thank You

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Re: Starting puppy on flyball

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:26 pm

fr4nnie wrote:I have searched around and have gotten different opinions.

I would like to know what is the right age to introduce a dog to flyball. I have a 5 months old puppy (sbt) and I already contacted a team and they will teach me and the dog flyball. However I started researching and most people say to avoid any running jumping until at least a year old. But I have talked to people who say it is fine as long as you don’t overdue.

For the flyball experts, what do you recommend, what is the right age?

Thank You

Who did you contact? I think I know about 95% of the SoCal teams.

ETA: You can totally PM me the info!

Puppies don't learn the jumps until about 8-9 months old IF they start at 8-10 weeks. For months, it's just short play sessions, recalls on the flat, learning to focus on the handler around other dogs (most teams use an older, very experienced dog for this), and learning to fetch a ball and exchange it for a tug.

Then at about 8-9 months, we start teaching the jumps one by one and making sure there's lots of nice drive for the tug and they are only worked 10-20 minutes each practice. There's also more and more and more Side-by-side recalls to continue that work on handler focus.

At about 10-11 months, I start teaching the touch stick and beginning some of the fundamentals of the box turn.

A good team is not going to overdo it with a puppy and it's all super fun and upbeat and positive short sessions.

fr4nnie
Adolescent Bully

Postby fr4nnie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:33 am

Thanks for the reply Fransterdoo,

I actually no longer live in socal, I am living in Las vegas, and I contacted a group of people who is just starting a group of flyball. They already have a few dogs and are mostly in it for fun, but they also do want to compete and be a competitive team.

The lady that is the head f the group also has a sttafbull puppy, he is older though 10 months.

I am having second thought about it, as much as I would love my dog to be into something I do not want him having problems in the future. I will be meeting them Friday for the first day, and will see how it goes.

Thank you so much for the heads up.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:10 pm

fr4nnie wrote:
I am having second thought about it, as much as I would love my dog to be into something I do not want him having problems in the future. I will be meeting them Friday for the first day, and will see how it goes.

Thank you so much for the heads up.

Hank started recalls at about 10 weeks. He's incredibly sound still at 6 years old and raced full-time, in start, this past weekend. Our youngest was also about 10 weeks when we got him and he didn't see a box until he was about a year. Until then it was all handler-focus work and recalls.

Walk away from anyone who promises to get your dog trained in a definitive number of sessions or puts your dog on a flyball box in a short period of time. I cringe at videos like "Bob's 5th flyball class" and the dog is doing full runs.

My personal favorite LV teams are X (1/2 in LV and 1/2 in San Diego) and Flyn Aces. I can vouch 100% that they are fun folks who take the safety of the dogs to be the most important aspect of the training. I just don't know the other teams in that area but X and FNA are flyball friends.

fr4nnie
Adolescent Bully

Postby fr4nnie » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:28 pm

Thank you for taking the time and answering my question.

The team I joined is a small team that just started, they have really nice dogs but no one is there to compete too seriously more like fun for us ad the dogs. They seem to take it slow and I already expressed my concerns about jumping, etc and they seemed to understand and appreciate that I was concerned about my puppys health.

He really liked the first session, and I liked it too. So hopefully when time comes he will be a great flyball dog.

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:56 am

I don't have much to add. We start with puppies but no jumps when they are young. Focus is on flat recalls, tugging, and distractions. Foundation work.

My 2 cents - clubs who are not competitive probably are not on top of the latest training techniques. In short, if you want to be safe AND competitive, seek out a club who is takes their time with training AND is competitive. Here in my neck of the woods there is a team who does teach flyball and does compete, but there are not 'competitive' - there isn't anything wrong with that or their club. They fill a nitch and have fun but it's not a team I'd recommend to someone who wanted to train and eventually race competitively.

Return to “Dog Sports”