Beginning Weight Pulling.. I need your advice!

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
Tyner
Newborn Bully

Beginning Weight Pulling.. I need your advice!

Postby Tyner » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:22 pm

I'm posting today for advice and tips, so I can start my dog pulling the smart way. I am not posting to be belittled, so please keep your negative comments to yourself.

My dog will be a year and a half in April 2013. I want to start getting him involved in pulling, and later placing him in competitions. I think I know where I'm going to buy the harness, from Brown Dog Design Harnesses. I've read up about their harnesses, and have seen nothing but good reviews.

Does anyone have any advice about their harnesses? Or maybe prefer a different company?

Secondly, I don't want to just tie weights to it, and have him go. I want a drag sled ( think that's what they are called ). I have seen things online about making your own. Can you buy them somewhere, or is making them just as sufficient?

I appreciate any advice and tips you have to give! Thanks for reading (:

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Re: Beginning Weight Pulling.. I need your advice!

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:59 pm

BDD harnesses are fantastic, I have one and love it. Never heard a bad thing about the harnesses.

Before I put any weight on my dogs, I start by having them drag a medium/light chain, getting some high value foods and giving them a lot of goodies while they move.

Basically start them in a sit stay, attach chain, just go a few feet in front of the dog and call them, the moment they start pulling I give them a goodie. That way they don't have a chance to get really freaked out about it. I continue giving a goodie every few seconds while they pull and gradually increasing the time between rewards. Eventually I move from chain to an empty milk carton with rocks in it.

Does and don'ts would be:
Make sure you teach them to pull on command (most use "work"), so he understands when it's time to pull and when not to.

Don't "bait". Baiting is when people have the dog pull for an item, whether it's food or a toy. This just causes the dog to get frustrated when attached to heavy weights, and the form it produces can inflict damage on the dog. (Baited dogs often throw themselves into the harness). So when you're using a food reward, have it out of sight until he complete the pull then tell him he's a good boy and give it to him.

Don't have him pull too fast, when you get him on weights make sure he pulls at a steady pace. Dogs taught to pull fast often get frustrated once they're on much heavier weights that they can't possible run in.

Always be positive! If you get frustrated remove yourself and chill. Whenever he finishes any pull treat him like he's the most amazing dog in the world.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

I don't know much about drag sleds so I can't help there, but I do know where you can buy some.
http://www.tablerockharness.com/DragSleds.htm

Tyner
Newborn Bully

Postby Tyner » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:08 pm

Awesome, thanks for the great advice! I've used this site for awhile now, and have never had someone be so helpful! (:

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:29 pm

Celest has given some great advise. That's how I taught Curly to pull. Please listen to the part about not baiting, as you can't bait at fun shows or competitions. Start with a drag and work your way up. BDD does have great harnesses, as well as a few other sites. I have yet to get one made specifically for her, but many members here have and can point you in the right direction. I don't think anyone here will look down on you for wanting to do WP, as it's a great outlet for the dogs and like I said many of us do it. Please be sure, before starting WP, that the dogs are fully developed before adding weights. Also, please be sure to have xrays and such done to ensure the joints and their structure can handle it. You don't want to injure them.

Tyner
Newborn Bully

Postby Tyner » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:41 pm

Well, I've posted on this site before for advise, and some of the people weren't what I expected to say the least. Some of the people are kind of rude when trying to help, or have snobby comments. But, thanks! I will call my vet and get that done before hand (:

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:01 am

I'm glad I could be of help! :))

Good luck with your boy! I hope he enjoys the sport :)

Shelter_dogs
Newborn Bully

Postby Shelter_dogs » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:26 am

Just wanted to say I also have a BDD harness that I like.

C gave great advice :)

Also, here's a great facebook group to look at: http://www.facebook.com/groups/3399055181/

Tyner
Newborn Bully

Postby Tyner » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:24 pm

Joined the group (:

Return to “Dog Sports”