It is okay to dump your dog at a shelter....

A place to share rescue-related issues, vent, get advice, and debrief on the challenges of the work!

It is okay to dump your dog at a shelter....

Postby Boss*sMom » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:56 am

When you have a baby... NOT

One of Boss's all time favorite play mates was surrendered to a shelter, thank goodness it is the only no kill shelter around for miles... But still, a 9 month old Rhodesian rigeback will surely go nuts locked up in a kennel for days. There is a potential adopter who already owns one RR, but if it falls through we have applied to be his foster parents until a new family comes along. I have known the dog since I got Boss, they are close to the same age. The owners recently had a baby, we talked about pre baby prep and training, i shared with them all of the info that I could and offered to come in and help, or keep him the first few weeks of the baby being there. They didn't even tell me they were surrendering him, I found out on FB.

I got contact info and messaged a volunteer, described the dog to detail and the owners. They confirmed that it was him and were surprised that I knew him so well. They promised me he is safe but is getting restless with very little exercise so I will be going to visit him on Monday to play for a while. It just breaks my heart, he loved his humans and I know they loved him. I guess I just don't understand giving up a family member because you had another family member. To me you would just adjust and work on your issues. I would never give up my child because we got a new dog, I guess you just can't expect people to feel the same.

I know they paid a lot of money for him and took very good care of him while they had him. I just don't understand. I am glad that he is safe, I hope his adoption goes through. (sigh) Humans...
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Re: It is okay to dump your dog at a shelter....

Postby heartbullies » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:19 am

Ugh, lame. Poor dog.

Maybe the breeder can take him back or help with placement? Better to go with someone who knows and is familiar with the breed and get exercise than be in a ken el for first-come, first-serve adoptions. Did the breeder have them sign a contract (when they paid a bunch of money) about breeding rights and right of first refusal?

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby Boss*sMom » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:49 pm

I think they paid for a full registration so that they could breed him one day. I am not sure about a contract and I have no clue who the breeder is but I can try and find out.

Havnen't seen or heard from them since before she had the baby.
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:04 pm

From what I understand, most good breeders will sell breedable and show quality dogs on a CO-ownership so the dog is still partially owned by the breeder. If that's the case these jerks violated their agreement and the dog should go back to the breeder. Now that is a "good breeder", there are plenty out there that dont' give a crap once the money has changed hands
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby Mooresmajestic » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:26 am

If it was a good breeder most of them microchip their pups and keep their contact info as secondary contact. Most shelters don't scan owner surrenders, so they may not even know if he is chipped. Is he still there? Could/would they scan him? You never know, it may give you a lead.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Return to Rescuing the Rescuers