Puppy tooth decay?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Puppy tooth decay?

Postby bully_mama » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:21 pm

I've routinely checked the dogs' teeth since day one. Last time I checked Mya's teeth they looked normal, nothing loose or broken. Its been almost 2 weeks since I last checked. Today I checked her teeth and the lower "eye tooth" is a grayish brown color. Its a puppy tooth as she hasn't lost those yet. I've pushed on it gently and its not loose, far as I can tell its not chipped, broken or painful. But I've never seen a puppy tooth look that way, even before its ready to fall out. Is it decaying? Getting ready to fall out? What could the cause be?
bully_mama
Newborn Bully

Re: Puppy tooth decay?

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:37 pm

It could be that she damaged it. Keep a close eye on it and if it doesn't soon fall out, have your vet take a look.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:16 pm

Puppies chew on a lot of things, and its common for them to traumatize their teeth. If the tooth is discolored, its quite likely dead. How old is your puppy?
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby bully_mama » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:20 pm

Sorry for the delay, been a little busy..
She's 6 months old. After closer inspection, the tip IS chipped. But she still shows no signs of pain. I called her vet and she told me to keep an eye on it. As long as there's no swelling, redness or signs of an abscess, she should be ok and it'll fall out when her adult tooth comes in. So I've been checking it every few days to be sure. If it doesn't come out soon I'll be making her an appointment to see if there's anything they can do.
It was just very odd to me as I've never seen a puppy tooth do that.
Any advice on prevention of this happening to her adult teeth would be greatly appreciated.
bully_mama
Newborn Bully

Postby bully_mama » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:47 am

Sorry for the double post...
But wanted to share that Mya's tooth is getting ready to fall out, and her adult tooth is growing in normally behind it.
Also, it was suggested to me to let her chew on a stick of thyme. Has anyone else ever heard of this or tried it? I'll be looking into it.
bully_mama
Newborn Bully

Return to Health Issues