Post spaying

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
atomicjade
Super Bully

Post spaying

Postby atomicjade » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:08 pm

Hey guys... yesterday I went to the shelter and picked out a shy but sweet, loving female pit mix. She had not yet been spayed, so they spayed her this morning and had me pick her up around 4. She has been very listless and lays around a lot, or if she gets up she's very slow and unwilling to move very much at a time. She also throwed up a very yellow liquid type vomit. The people at the shelter said she might have a respiratory infection and that after the spaying she has discharge from her nose (they gave us antibiotics for it but she won't eat anything!) but is all this normal? How can I get her to take the antibiotics if she won't eat anything? I know it must be pretty stressful to be locked in a shelter for awhile then go through the spaying process and THEN shipped around to a new home with strange people! But I am just worried and want to make sure she will be okay. Can anyone help me or ease my nerves? Thanks.

chia pit
Matured Bully

Postby chia pit » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:36 pm

:po: i hate when shelters do this . throwing up after surgery is normal she should be feeling better after a while i wouldnt feed her until the next day i would take her back to the vet and see if they can give her meds in a syringe . hope she feels better .if it was me i would give her nupro to give her immune system a boost .

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:39 pm

The same evening, you don't want her eating anyway.
Tomorrow just give her a regular diet, a small amt. anyway, at first, to get her tummy digesting again.

mr. beefy
Adolescent Bully

Postby mr. beefy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:54 am

Bright yellow could be bile, just meaning her stomach is *very* empty (which is about right on the money if they properly fasted her beforehand). Like msvette2u said, start small to get her back in the groove.

I'd also be a little hurting and bummed if someone removed my uterus. Give her time. Illness on top of it all is a little tricky, but just keep her hydrated (low sodium broth) and comfortable. If things don't change take her back in.

Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Jorsher » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:54 am

mr. beefy wrote:I'd also be a little hurting and bummed if someone removed my uterus.

I've been fine without a uterus :))

But yes, if you see my other-other thread, you'll see my dog is really mellow and slow post-spay.

And she's peeing blood :frown:

atomicjade
Super Bully

Postby atomicjade » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:25 pm

Thanks a lot guys, this makes me feel better. Today she is looking a lot better, she's moving around, wagging her tail, licking us, and generally looking a lot happier (she even jumped into bed with me this morning for a cuddling!). She started eating a little bit today and I put the antibiotics in it so the sniffling nose shouldn't be a problem (in fact its improved since yesterday without any antibiotics) and Odyssey loves her! They get along so well, its about time she had a buddy who likes her!

Wesley
Adolescent Bully

Postby Wesley » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:42 pm

yup, they're usually better the next day. kaia went through this and it's heartbreaking seeing her in pain. anyways, enjoy your new, spayed, pup. post some pics too

Return to “Health Issues”