Potato's related food bad for dogs/causes mange?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
TahsSunny
Addicted to PBF

Potato's related food bad for dogs/causes mange?

Postby TahsSunny » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:52 pm

Hey everyone!

I took Guage for a walk yesterday and I decided to stop and get some chips from the Fish N' Chip shop. Whenever I get food for myself I can't resist from throwing some to Guage and I did and then this lady said `Potato's are bad for dogs, it causes mange.' is that true?. It was a hot potato chip. I didn't have a problem with the lady saying that because when she got out of her car she cuddled Guage since she owns 2 staffys of her own at home. I've just never heard potato related food is bad for dogs/causes mange, so does it?.

Thanks everyone,
Tahlia and Guage

artemiss
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby artemiss » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:59 pm

Whaaa?
The food I have been feeding Kira has potatoes or sweet potatoes in it, so I would have to go with "No, they do NOT cause mange" Mange is caused by mites. Now generally a weakned immune system predisposes a dog to a certain type of mange, but I am not sure how potatoes would contribute to that unless they were fed ONLY potatoes to the point that the dog was malnourished...

TahsSunny
Addicted to PBF

Postby TahsSunny » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:20 pm

Thanks for your reply!. It just confused me hearing this because I've always given Guage potato chips when I get Fish N' Chips and he's never had a problem. I's love to know were this lady got this thought from.

jenn&aala
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jenn&aala » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:44 pm

Aala's food has sweet potato in it. But I have heard that raw potato when fed can cause an upset tummy, but I haven't tested the theory.

mcgirau
Matured Bully

Postby mcgirau » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:33 pm

thats crazy

MsPsychotic
Matured Bully

Postby MsPsychotic » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:04 am

People relay the strangest things. One person hears one myth and relays it, but changes it a bit.. and the listener relays it and adds their own twist on words.. and so on and so fourth.

My Bear does have mange and his food has potato in it. It was recommended by the woman who runs the local Health Food store for Pets and seconded by my vet. So, with that information in hand, I'd say 'No. Potato absolutely does NOT cause mange.'

I do know (via my vet) that raw veggies with high starch content (such as potato) can cause a stomach acid imbalance. The stomach works over-time to produce enough acid to break down the loads of starch and it causes indigestion. I only found that out because I had told her that Bear likes to sit at my feet, no matter where I'm at or what I'm doing, and when he hears celery being chopped he wants some. She advised me to be cautious of raw veggies with high starch content.

xaverysxmamax

Postby xaverysxmamax » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:35 am

I give my dogs potatoes all the time..

I don't see it as bad.

Maybe because her dog got mange and she figured it was potatoes? I don't know.

But I don't think so.

Return to “Health Issues”