Diarhea and Loose stools for over 1wk

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Diarhea and Loose stools for over 1wk

Postby Lunchbucket » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:13 pm

Monday July 28th after a walk Eve pooped loose (not diarrhea) w/ a little mucus and what I thought might be some blood (was in the grass so couldn't see). Thought I'd keep tabs. Tues morning I wake up for work at 4:45am and Eve pooped a HUGE pile on our mudroom floor :( She never wakes in teh night and NEVER makes a mess so I knew she didn't feel good. Wed she poops on my bosses floor twice during the day (I mentioned she NEVER makes a mess unless is sick) and the 2nd time I noticed blood. I called the vet and took in the stool for a sample ASAP. They called and said it wasn't giardia or hook or round worms. They gave me Metronidazole 500mg and was told to feed 1 whole pill (500mg) with supper and 1/2 pill (250mg) with lunch for something like 8days. Been doing this religiously since Wed night (today is Tues of the next week). We fed her cooked and rinsed hamberger with some plain white rice for every meal for 2.5days and then eased her back into her food with nothing mixed in. SHe is on Natures Variety Prairie Chicken and rice and has been for over 1yr. We have added 2-3 Tbsp or 100% pumpkin the last 3 meals as I read it helps.

She did have a formed stool last night for the first time. Mostly lately is it soft serve and not completely formed. She is a regular very formed almost hard pooper. Tonight on our walk/run she pooped soft serve again :( My bosses said that she did have formed stools on her walk today but not sure if it was truely formed or soft serve.

I'm at a loss should I shed. an appointment with the vet again? It will be 1wk on Metronidizole tomorrow.

Eves Stats
1.5yrs old
Food: Natures Variety Prairie been on this for over 1 yr
Gets 1-1.25cups / meal. Gets noon and night meal.
Not a treat giver only an occational Old mother hubbard dry biscuits while training.

Did start Brewers yeast and Salmon oil about 1-2wks before she got sick but was only giving what bottle recommended one time/day. Stopped these the day she got sick.

No other health problems ever! Any advice or help?

Thanks
Lunchbucket

xaverysxmamax

Postby xaverysxmamax » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:34 am

Take her to the Vet again. Just to be safe.

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:46 am

That's kind of my thought too. She pooped pretty darn solid this am and I haven't noticed any blood for quite some time. She hates the vet and I hate the bills but if she needs it I'm for it. Just thought I'd get some opinions before I go all concerned parent and haul her in for nothing

Lunchbucket

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:08 pm

Pretty solid today. Not perfect but not bad

Lunchbucket

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:26 pm

How's her deworming status?
I wonder if the dog food company changed something?
The salmon oil may have done it.
Does she display other symptoms at all?
Have you tried putting pumpkin in her food to firm up the stool at all?

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:17 pm

No other symptoms.

She gets interceptor monthly and has been wormed when she was young, multiple times due to having them pretty bad when young.

As posted above we did add pumpkin for the last 2-3days. Seems to be better but not perfectly firm but is formed.

Lunchbucket

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:28 pm

I'd get a course of safeguard wormer and give it to her three straight days.

http://www.1stqualitypetsupplies.com/456914.html
You can find this at Walmart, still, I believe as well as most other pet stores like Petco and Petsmart.

Or order online.
It's not going to hurt her at all and might help clear things up.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:12 am

when you give her boiled chicken and rice her stool is firm? but once back on her dog food its loose again? it could be a bad batch of food., or the brewers yeast is giving her the loose stool,some dogs need an adjustment period when getting new supplements..

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:46 pm

Ok it's been 2.5wks and Eve is WORSE. Was @ the Vet on monday checking out her toe (nothing big) and the vet wasn't too concerned since Eve was getting better late last week early his week...then all hell broke loose since monday. Eve went 10times in 24hrs yesterday. We were up @ 2am, 4am, 6am, and she pooped on our floor (thankfully on plastic where we were painting trim) when we didn't hear her get up once.

Went to the vet today they slid us in since it was an emergency. Well Eve has been chewing on cow hoofs (my boss gives them to her and her dog) and she can crunch them up into pretty big pieces. Well I guess she's swallowing them too :po: She said the diarrhea was from the body trying to flush the system of the pieces. She stuck her finger in there and pulled out a dime or bigger piece and felt another that was 2-3x's as big that she couldn't get. Had an x-ray just to make sure no obstructiona and guess what cow hoofs don't show up on x-rays but she didn't think it looked or flet obstructed. I guess my wife said that when they put her on the x-ray table she expressed her anal glad :yucky: so my wife said she stinks in the car.

She left with a $140 bill today and a $160 bill on monday :po: Has to be on metronidizole, antibiotics, and pain meds (2days). I guess she is going to be very uncomfortable with this whole deal but we are supposed to call her on call if she is very very restless.

Wish her luck on passing this w/out a problem. Guess I have to tell the boss NO cow hoofs

Lunchbucket

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:58 pm

Poor Eve. Hope she feels better soon.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:10 pm

Have you fasted her at all?

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:28 pm

julie - Me too

Beowulf - We did that last night till today and started her a on bland diet tonight. Very little and very bland

Lunchbucket

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:30 am

Hope she feels better soon.

eashanna
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby eashanna » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:00 am

lexie had that too and oh i have pics to prove it. blooood everywhere. it was nightmare. i dont think ove ever been so scared before. the vet was awesome. told me not to feed her for 36 hours and only give her pedialyte. she was on antibiotics. everything turned out ok.

hope things get better for eve.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:55 pm

How is Eve now?

Return to “Health Issues”