Dog In Labor Rght now 5 hours has passed

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
spammie

Postby spammie » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:38 pm

Jerry,
instead of becoming offended over this, take the advice given and learn something.
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.p ... t=#1065762
that is why you came here, right?

fattie
Adolescent Bully

Postby fattie » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:43 pm

jdmeg6 wrote:im not going to $400 to have her fixed unless its FREE! if someone can help me find a free place to get her fix near , Lowell, MA i will get it done .

dont be a damn cheapass , get your dogs fixed and this kinda stuff wont happen. ive got well over 2k into my dogs , with all there shots , nuetering and stuff. and i would do it again. you bought the dogs , take responsibilty and do the right thing.

or better yet , ill come to mass and take them off your hands ill have them fixed and they will have a great life here with me , blue and star.

man , words cant explain how angry i feel after reading this thread and the other one. im gunna keep my mouth shut before i get in trouble. :po: :po: :po: :po: :po: :po:

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:59 pm

and on top of the female needing very much to be spayed, that male with only one descended testicle is at a dramatically higher risk of developing testicular cancer, and he really needs to be neutered as well. testicles were not designed to be kept up inside the body.

very few people around these boards are rich, but we still manage to provide appropriate veterinary care for our dogs, which includes spaying and neutering them. call around to different vet's offices. call the local shelter and ask them if they do low-cost spay/neuter of if they can point you in the right direction.

amyd
Bully Ambassador

Postby amyd » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:09 pm

You may also apply to PBRC for help with low cost spay/neuter.
Please if you care about your dogs, get them altered.

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:25 pm

amyd wrote:You may also apply to PBRC for help with low cost spay/neuter.
Please if you care about your dogs, get them altered.

x2... when we had Marley neutered we were in a rough spot, boyfriend had lost his job and my income didn't cover bills... and PBRC helped us out with the surgery. Also, it's generally a lot cheaper to have males neutered, so if you're going to have the two dogs, at the VERY MINIMUM get the male neutered.

I also live paycheck to paycheck... I get paid tonight and my balance is $2.86... BUT I have an automatic withdrawal that goes into a vet savings account EVERY paycheck... it's out of the account before I get to see the money, same as my regular savings... it seems really hard to come up with $400 all at once, but when you're putting away $40 a week it doesn't take that long.

I understand that it's hard as a single student, but you need to think of the animal's best interest. If you can't afford to provide them with proper care (I'm assuming you now have 2 dogs and 2 puppies?) then perhaps you should reconsider having pets until you are finished with school and in a more secure position.

I had a horse and a cat when I was in school, but it meant that I also had to work full time night shifts, attend university full time and look after them... it was hard, but my animals (and marks) were my priority and they never went without anything.

MemphisBrindle
Newborn Bully

Postby MemphisBrindle » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:31 pm

wow you're a selfish idiot.

many places like the spca will give you a voucher to help cover a bit of the cost for her to be spayed. my area has a low cost spay/neuter and im getting my dog done for under $40.

i dont think you deserve to have a dog. let alone two.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:40 pm

While I can definitely understand why tempers are high, posters need to be respectful.
To the OP, since a retained puppy is fatal, and a labor that goes w/out results more than 2 hours warrants at least a vet call, I would expect members to give you advice aimed at the safety of your dog. Hopefully the vet gave your dog a shot of oxcytocin to make sure she had passed all afterbirths. I know of a dog (RIP Honis) who died after whelping 9 pups herself, and 3 more at the vet. Unfortunately, she had retained 3 more.

jdmeg6
Newborn Bully

Postby jdmeg6 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:21 pm

Thanks everyone for the spay/neuter links. I will definitely look into this

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:32 am

how are Mom and the puppies doing today??

meginok
Bully Ambassador

Postby meginok » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:12 am

Glad to hear that you'll be checking out the spay/neuter resources!

I just want to say that I've found this forum to be full of GREAT dog lovers. They can be AMAZING resources and incredibly supportive. Don't let the initial harshness scare you off. Just stick around, read, learn, fix those pooches to avoid any more "accidents," and I think if you keep an open mind, you'll be amazed at all the knowledge that gets in. :))

I know it's hard when you're living hand-to-mouth. Many here can understand that! Just having gone through a divorce and gotten laid off, it pains me to buy the premium dog food my dogs need (one has food allergies...cheaper food is NOT an option). And their vet visits are coming up.

But the folks here think of their dogs as part of the family. And they find a way.

Stick around! I think the folks here will have some great advice when it comes to trying to place those puppies where they can have the best possible lives and become part of the beauty of Pit Bulls, rather than part of the problem that threatens Pit Bulls and all who love them.

:peace:

kodasmom
Super Bully

Postby kodasmom » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:05 pm

jdmeg6 wrote:im not looking for ur pitty or your f*u*cK*en sympathy! what you dont understand is im not rich i live paycheck to paycheck, i am still a student. and understand it was a accident, accidents happens .

We live paycheck to paycheck as well.... We own 10 dogs, 8 cats, 6 horses and our mare is expecting a foal in April. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF OUR ANIMALS GETS THE PROPER MEDICAL CARE from our vet..... All of this and I just had surgery on my hand and I am out of work. Koda has mange BUT she still goes to the vet every week, even though money is EXTREMELY tight........ Not being rich or living paycheck to paycheck is not a EXCUSE!!!!!!!!!! :po:

All of my dogs and cats have been spayed/neutered as soon as they were of age.......

The one thing that has not been said as of yet is: If you can't find quality homes for the pups, the likelihood is high that the pups will end up at the local shelter....... (Especially since you state you can't afford medical care for your dogs) This little "accident" could possibly add to the shelters burden of having to finding forever homes for them.....

ALL of this could have been prevented..... by either having your dogs spayed/neutered or providing proper supervision.... In short, being a responsible dog owner.......

Nayetopps
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nayetopps » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:27 pm

jdmeg6 wrote:im not looking for ur pitty or your f*u*cK*en sympathy! what you dont understand is im not rich i live paycheck to paycheck, i am still a student. and understand it was a accident, accidents happens .

Good thing you're not looking for our sympathy/pitty, or you'd sure be looking for a long time.

But guess what? I live paycheck to paycheck too (as do MANY other people, especially nowadays!) and I still managed to get my dog a physical, shots, neutered, and microchipped when the time came. I also managed to pay for his medical bills when he hurt himself.

Affording a dog is something you look into BEFORE you get one, let alone TWO.

So yeah... no sympathy here. 24 years old is WAY old enough to know better.

sw_df27
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby sw_df27 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:00 am

hell I'm 22 with 4 dogs and now a stray cat and I def live paycheck to paycheck but all my dogs get the proper vet care and are fixed as soon as they are old enough with the exception on 1 female that I will not be getting fixed because I know she will never "accidently" be bred but I am now treating 2 for heartworms which everyone here can tell you is not cheap try $600.00 a pop but they needed the treatment and starting the treatment the day I found out they had them I certainly didn't have 1200.00 just laying around but that's why you should always have emergency vet money put back before you get the dog in the first plus exspecially if you accidently bred it........... the day you bred your dogs you should have starting saving for unexspected crap like this......... you will not get my pitty or sympathy at all the freaking dog should not have been bred in the first place

innocence621
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby innocence621 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:14 am

Hell, I might as well chime in...
I am 22, I live with my bf who is 23. He works, and I just started working again. I go to school. I pay for my school. Our rent is $1095, our bills add up to about $400 a month, and my credit card bills add up to about $200 a month. One credit card is because of my dog...I'll get to that. Car is $430 a month, and insurance is $160 a month. We survive.

Now, I have 4 dogs and 2 cats. All of which eat quality food and get proper medical attention. Sadie had heart surgery last year that cost a pretty penny. I didn't have enough for it, I only could do $1100, so I raised the money by doing a dog wash (corny, I know, but it worked and she was on the news!) My dogs eat better than we do, and recieve better medical care than we do! I have three intact dogs in my house; Sadie, who will be spayed after her echo, and two intact males. They are separated when we are gone, and if Sadie goes into heat again, I will take responsibility to make sure she doesn't get pregnant. In fact, Havoc will be leaving during her heat (Thanks to a friend who is also a member of the forum :) ) and the other guy (who is still nameless) will most likely board at my work. We probably have an extra $20 most of the time (if that, right now the bank is -$70..) And all the extra we do have goes to dog shows and training...

My name is Crystal, and I'm an addict...

luvmypitties
Super Bully

Postby luvmypitties » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:48 am

How are the puppies doing? I hope all is well. And I hope that you do truely follow some of the advice given and you do get your female spayed.And I think someone else mentioned that your male could get testicular cancer having the retained testicle. Its very dangerous and I have seen what happens if it is not neutered or corrected.

I am also 22 years old and have 3 pitbulls and some other creatures. I live paycheck to paycheck as well. I had to get credit cards and borrow money when 2 of my dogs needed emergency surgery to remove their eyes (one to glaucoma and one to neglect from previous owner) not to mention the expensive meds for the dog with glaucoma and other health problems. But when you get a dog or any living breathing animal yu are responsible for its life, just as if you would have a child. You would sit on a forum and claim to not have money if your child was laying there in pain and not healthy.

There is always cheaper ways around everything. And please dont be afraid to come back on here and ask questions about anything. Some come off as harsh but they mean well and everyone has experiences and information to share. As long as you love yur animals and provide the care they need and are responsible about it most people wont have a problem with you. I wish you luck in what you decide to do... and hopefully it is the right thing to do.

Return to “Health Issues”