Food allergy problem, need suggestions

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
PittiMama03031
Newborn Bully

Food allergy problem, need suggestions

Postby PittiMama03031 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:59 am

Hi. Moose is having skin problems on his current food. He is getting rashes in between his toes, and on his face. He is on Merrick wilderness now, he had been on the turducken for a bout a month. We thought it was the turducken that was causing it, so we switched him to the wilderness. We have tried him on the NV prarie and he had a reaction to that too. Can anyone suggest which food I should try next?

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:17 am

are you sure its not airborne? my allergies are annoying me right now, so it could be airborne and not food. has the vet done a blood allergy test for airborne allergies? that is the only way to find out if its airborne or not

meginok
Bully Ambassador

Postby meginok » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:38 am

If you are concerned with food allergies, I would try a limited-ingredient food. I know a lot of folks are on the fence about Natural Balance, but they offer two decent limited ingredient diets. I think Wellness may offer one with fish?

Good luck! I have a girl who had MAJOR (i.e. chronic vomited) food allergies or intolerances, and she was a new dog when we got everything figured out.

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:45 am

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:31 pm

I know a lot of folks are on the fence about Natural Balance, but they offer two decent limited ingredient diets.

What did I miss about Natural Balance? I just emailed them and asked for samples...

meginok
Bully Ambassador

Postby meginok » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:33 pm

I was just talking about whether people consider it a high-quality food or not. I've seen it "knocked" a lot. They were one of the few "super-premium" brands that experienced recalls back in that terrible pet food mess.

I've fed it before with good results, and their duck/potato is one of only two commercial dog food formulas readily available in central OK that I know for a fact my allergy girl can eat without getting sick. I'd feed it again, in a heartbeat. I just currently feed Healthwise (by Natura) lamb/oatmeal, because it's over $10 cheaper a bag.

A-Ron
Adolescent Bully

Postby A-Ron » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:42 pm

Good luck! I have a girl who had MAJOR (i.e. chronic vomited) food allergies or intolerances, and she was a new dog when we got everything figured out.

I had the same problem and after feeding royal canine duck/potato she is also a new dog, we are going on month two vomit free (and keeping fingers crossed. I do not want to tell you what it took to get to this point. It is super expensive though

meginok
Bully Ambassador

Postby meginok » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:10 pm

Hooray for month 2! We spent just over a grand to figure things out with Abbie Lou. I called her my "$1000 shelter dog." lol :crybaby: lol

AkainePSP
Adolescent Bully

Postby AkainePSP » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:33 pm

I started out feeding Lila Timberwolf and the when she started having skin issues I went to Taste of the wild high prarie canine formula because it was grain free. I am now feeding her Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice and she is doing much better. Of course we are being treated for a skin infection now however her stools are much better on the chicken and rice.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:32 pm

To determine food allergies you need to do several things:

#1 See a vet to get medications to control any secondary infections.

#2 QUIT SWITCHING FOODS and find a SINGLE PROTEIN, SINGLE CARBOHYDRATE food with ingredients your dog has never had before. The idea is to find a food your dog CAN'T be allergic to and feed it and NOTHING ELSE (no biscuits, no training treats, no hot dogs, no cheese, no popcorn, no rawhide, no flavored medications like proin, heartguard or rimadyl, no pig ears, no nothing) for a minimum of twelve weeks.

If you can't find a food with ingredients your dog has never had, then you need to get a hydrolysate diet from your veterinarian. I don't care if you or anytone else doesn't think this food is "good enough" for your dog... there is NO other way to determine food allergies.

Key Point #1: If there is not a drastic improvement at the end of twelve strict weeks, your dog does NOT have food allergies.

Key Point #2: If you or any member of your family slip up ONCE, you start over from day one. All it takes is one bite of a food that causes allergies and your dog may show clinical signs for weeks.

Key Point #3: If you don't control the secondary infections, your dog will never show signs of improvement, even with the perfect diet.

Key Point #4: READ THE LABEL... Just because a diet is "Duck and Potato" or "Hypoallergenic" does not make it a limited ingredient diet with ONE protein source and ONE carbohydrate source.

A-Ron
Adolescent Bully

Postby A-Ron » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:32 pm

If the dog shows total improvment after the 12 weeks, what does that mean? Does it mean that for the rest of her life I will be feeding my dog duck and potato? Fine with me even if it is expensive but I need a perscreption to get my food and if I move I wonder if I can keep getting the food, also what if the food company goes out of business? Just questions I have always asked myself and have always wanted the answers to.

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:50 pm

Going OT to bitch & moan; I cannot resist the urge, feel free to skip my post.

Why is this:
find a SINGLE PROTEIN, SINGLE CARBOHYDRATE food with ingredients your dog has never had before. The idea is to find a food your dog CAN'T be allergic to and feed it and NOTHING ELSE (no biscuits, no training treats, no hot dogs, no cheese, no popcorn, no rawhide, no flavored medications like proin, heartguard or rimadyl, no pig ears, no nothing) for a minimum of twelve weeks.

the only way to diagnose a food allergy in a dog?

I mean I know this is the method. I have heard it often enough from...well...everybody.

But am I the only person that finds it a bit of a hardship; and (damn it, I'm going to say it) unreasonable!!

I mean people have allergies, and I've never heard of anyone coming home from the pediatrician with strict orders to put little Johnny on a diet consisting of 2 ingredients???

Why is it different for dogs than people? I'm thinking the limited ingredient diet is of course the best way to go and the thinking is "it's a dog, so it's technically totally controllable"; but no one thinks about the quality of life issue. Vets roll the prescription off their tongues like it's no big deal...

Maybe it's me; but it seems there should be a more reasonable approach. I mean nothing but kibble, for 12 weeks...not even anything to chew...

In some instances I agree this probably does need to be the course of action; but just a little empathy that it's a major life disruption, and a significant stressor - would be appreciated.

(I'm not venting at you MissK - I always appreciate your input and your taking the time to share your knowledge and insights...this is just my general vent/rant over the current state of of the art treatment for dogs with allergies.)

Done now. :oops:

AkainePSP
Adolescent Bully

Postby AkainePSP » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:57 pm

Is it possible to test for allergies in dogs like they do humans?

Kelly

PreciousPit
Newborn Bully

Postby PreciousPit » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:27 pm

I was just recently told by a new vet that they can do a blood test, which i've been planning to get done. :dunno:

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:24 pm

PreciousPit wrote:I was just recently told by a new vet that they can do a blood test, which i've been planning to get done. :dunno:

the blood test for food allergies is worthless and a waste of your money. The blood test for Inhaled allergens is good.

Dogs eat the same food EVERY MEAL... people do not. Therefore you can pay attention to what makes you ill and figure it out. When an animal eats the item they're allergic to every day, you have to take the food away for a period of weeks, and then slowly add one food at a time back and see what they react to.

Return to “Health Issues”