Food allergy problem, need suggestions

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Monsta
Newborn Bully

Postby Monsta » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:18 am

meginok wrote: I know a lot of folks are on the fence about Natural Balance, but they offer two decent limited ingredient diets. .

Please explain!!!

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:34 am

Jazzy, If you're doing a single protein/single carb food, maybe you could achieve the same results with a home-cooked diet? Or use treats that are the same protein and carbohydrate with no other ingredients added?

I feed Booker a food with a single protein source and a single carbohydrate, and I feel his quality of life is quite high. He loves dinnertime, he loves morning time, he loves nap time, walk time, fetch time, etc. Of course he loves food and getting snacks, but if he had his way and ate whatever he wanted, he would be overweight, and that would be more weight for his hips and knees to bear every day, and it would also shorten his life span. But there are treats that seem like they would be compatible with Veronica's single protein/single carbohydrate diet...

For example if she could ONLY eat herring and sweet potato, well, they do sell dehydrated sweet potato dog treats, where it's just sweet potato, no additives. You would have to find them at a more "natural pet" type or boutique store. Booker likes them.

Herring's just a fish, and dogs love stinky fish! You can buy herring whole at the grocery store/meat market, cook them and debone, or freeze them for a few weeks and serve raw. You can also get canned herring (try to find low-salt varieties) to feed as a treat, in a Kong or whatever.

If it's duck, there are duck-jerky treats that contain only duck breast jerky. And I'm willing to bet you could find some venison jerky, possibly intended for human consumption, that didn't have a huge amount of salt added if she was on a venison diet. There are so many kinds of unique treats out there from all kinds of animals, perhaps one will match up with the food?

I'm not sure if these ideas are actually compatible with the diet (Miss Kiwi?) but hopefully it helps.

And if it helps you any, I'm sure that Veronica, while she loves treats, loves her mom more. You might be more upset than she is about not being able to feed her treats or snacks... she might be just as happy if you act jolly and unconcerned and play a good rousing game of tug, or go on an extra-long work, or play hide and seek or fetch or something... but if you're upset I am willing to bet she'll pick up on your emotions. Think about the long run, if you can identify what she's allergic to, it will benefit her quality of life long-term, no more itching constantly for days at a time, no more runny poo emergencies, no more blisters or hives, for far beyond twelve weeks.

In addition you can take some of the kibble away from the meal times, set it aside to use during training as little bite-sized training treats?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:37 am

I feed and recommend the Natural Balance Duck and potato... they also make excellent treats that are food-allergy safe.

Lots of other foods are starting Duck and Potato formulas because the Natural Balance is so popular, but very few are actually limited antigen diets. It actually makes me angry because then people feed every possible ingredient under the sun trying to fix their dog and then I'm stuck with nothing to recommend besides a veterinary prescription hydrolysate diet... which is fine, but a very highly processed alternative that I wouldn't have to resort to if money wasn't such a huge player it pet food companies product choices.

PreciousPit
Newborn Bully

Postby PreciousPit » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:45 pm

can you get the Natural Balance duck and potato at regular pet stores?

AngieT
Newborn Bully

Postby AngieT » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:32 pm

Bella is allergic to chicken and beef, so she eats Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Canine Hypoallergenic HP. We have to get it from our vet.
If she gets into regular dog food or people food, she breaks out onher chin, stomach and her ears smell.

AkainePSP
Adolescent Bully

Postby AkainePSP » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:38 pm

Poor thing.

meginok
Bully Ambassador

Postby meginok » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:01 pm

PreciousPit wrote:can you get the Natural Balance duck and potato at regular pet stores?

PetSmart carries the Natural Balance line. As Misskiwi mentioned, one VERY nice thing about NB is that they make a corresponding treat line. NB duck/potato treats are the ONLY treats my dogs get, because of Abbie Lou's allergies.

Monsta wrote:
meginok wrote: I know a lot of folks are on the fence about Natural Balance, but they offer two decent limited ingredient diets. .

Please explain!!!

I if you're talking about the "on the fence about NB" comment, I had already posted the below.

meginok wrote:I was just talking about whether people consider it a high-quality food or not. I've seen it "knocked" a lot. They were one of the few "super-premium" brands that experienced recalls back in that terrible pet food mess.

I've fed it before with good results, and their duck/potato is one of only two commercial dog food formulas readily available in central OK that I know for a fact my allergy girl can eat without getting sick. I'd feed it again, in a heartbeat. I just currently feed Healthwise (by Natura) lamb/oatmeal, because it's over $10 cheaper a bag.

And to elaborate on that, it is a little bit on the pricey side, IMO. But again, I'd feed it again without hesitation.

If you're asking about "limited ingredient diets," it means what Misskiwi was saying about a SINGLE PROTIEN/SINGLE CARB formula. They have a duck/potato forumla and a fish/sweet potato formula.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:23 pm

I also recommend ANY of the Natural Balance limited ingredient foods...they are excellent for dogs with possible food allergies (duck/fish/or venison and potato, and lamb & rice). My little guy has an unknown food allergy, but he has been eating NB Potato and Duck small bites for a long time now and does really well. Since I have him the NB, I ended up just feeding Falon the Natural Balance "AMP" (active) and have been very happy with the results. Like getting the food at the same place; makes it easier.

I guess you could say I am partial to the company :)

PittiMama03031
Newborn Bully

Thanks to all

Postby PittiMama03031 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:59 am

Moose is kept on the same food until he starts showing bad reactions. (Itching, chewing, hair loss, rashes.) He developed a bad rash, itched like crazy, chewed on his paws, and had a small amout of hair loss on Natures Variety prarie, I am not sure whether it was the chicken or the beef that did it, because I started noticing it about the same time I switched from chicken to beef. I switched him to Merrick, and he seemed to do a lot better on it. I had him on the puppy food which has turkey and chicken in it, and he had a lot of loose poop, so I decided to try the wilderness formula, he did fine on that, and then they were out of it one week, so I got him the turducken, and he started showing signs of a reaction again. Itching, excessive shedding, and rashes. I put him on Wellness core ocean formula for now. I will try Natural balance, but I want to stick with this for the 12 weeks, even though I know it isn't exactly what was suggested. Thank again for all the help.

bellabear
Forum Junky

Postby bellabear » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:06 pm

My baby Bella, is on a food trial, we didn't see much results with Natural Balance Duck and Potatoe, so my vet said that the duck could be considered close to chicken, so if she has a reaction to chicken that she could possibly on the duck also. So we switched her to venison and sweet potatoe from NB, and she seems to be doing good. She has been on it now for 6-7 weeks.

Return to “Health Issues”