Hair stuck in gum

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pitgrrl

Hair stuck in gum

Postby pitgrrl » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:37 pm

I'm not sure if this is a totally weird problem or if it's common and I've just never heard of it.

Streets is a bit of a hairy fellow, and a bit of a licker, so he ends up with a lot of his own, and his brother's, fur in his mouth.

A couple of months ago I noticed that the gums around one of his k9s was inflamed and there was a small amount of puss. I spoke to my vet about it and both of us were at a bit of a loss since the tooth is in good shape.

So I soaked the area in warm salt water, stepped up the brushing and kept an eye on things.

Well, I've finally figured out the problem, but I don't know if anything can be done about it. There seems to be a ton of hair stuck up under the gum line. Brushing his teeth everyday keeps new hair at bay, and works some of older stuff out, but there's clearly more up in there. Yesterday I had to pull more than a dozen hairs out with tweezers.

Is there any solution to this, preferably that doesn't require going to the vet and being put under? Streets has had focal seizures in the past and tends to be pretty sensitive to, well, just about everything, so I'm not going to risk putting him under unless it's really, really necessary.

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:45 pm

Wow. My advice to try an ice cube or rubbing alcohol would have been WAY off here.

No advice, but good luck! It sounds uncomfortable at best!

gemglo
Adolescent Bully

Postby gemglo » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:32 pm

Maybe you could try flushing the gum out with water in a syringe, if the water is moving maybe it would loosen more of the hair in the gumline. Good luck!

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:06 pm

walmart and places sell.. water jet type things for cleaning teeth... i had one when i had braces..

umm it's like a water power tooth pick type thing... see if you can find one of those?

like this

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod. ... atid=22135

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:18 am

I had thought of flushing it out, either with a water pick or syringe, but I'm afraid of hurting him.

Maybe I'll start with the syringe.....

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:17 am

water piks on thier low level dont hurt at all..

the water pick really became my best friend after having braces for 5 yrs..lol

mr. beefy
Adolescent Bully

Postby mr. beefy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:13 pm

I had a similar-ish problem the other day but it was my dog's hair in my gum. Blech :frown: . Floss fixed that, though.

Let us know how the flushing works (or doesn't).

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:28 pm

mr. beefy wrote:I had a similar-ish problem the other day but it was my dog's hair in my gum. Blech :frown: .

lol I've had that happen, as well as dog hair "splinters" in my hands or feet.
This is like lots of of hair though, it's a bit freaky if I think about just how much might be stuck up under the gum :sad:

Return to “Health Issues”