hey, ppl with arthritic dogs...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Stormi
Addicted to PBF

hey, ppl with arthritic dogs...

Postby Stormi » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:50 pm

What do you do to get your pup his/her adequete daily exersize?

BaltimoreBully
Adolescent Bully

Postby BaltimoreBully » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:09 pm

Well, my arthritic bully girl is at an age (7) where she is mostly quite content to hang out on the couch. And since most days she painful despite meds I let her. However she is always ready for a swim and loves a long slow walk a couple times a week. Oh yeah and the occassional deer/rabbit chase but I discourage that as much as possible.
She adores fetching, so on days when I take her swimming I bring her Cool Kong which floats so we can play fetch in the water.

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:16 pm

Wow, 7 isn't that old. :frown:

BaltimoreBully
Adolescent Bully

Postby BaltimoreBully » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:59 pm

No it's not, but she came from a back yard breeder and blew out both cruciates at a very early age. There were alot of complications post surgery in the one leg so lots of permanent damage. Mentally she still wants to be on the go but physically she prefers the couch.

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:32 pm

Mostly just walking. Slow and easy, but as frequently and regularly as possible.

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:21 pm

walking, smaller walks, slow, his pace, not alot of hills etc. flat if possible (20 min) 2 - 3X a day. playing with his buddy 1X a week. the vet told me 20 min a day - ha! i don't think so would have driven me and him mad. if he needed an extra pain pill occasionally so be it. I did get him one of those balls that roll around and drop treats out as that was good low key exercise in the house....bones to chew on occasionally, a bit of ball in the yard...

packopits
Newborn Bully

Re: hey, ppl with arthritic dogs...

Postby packopits » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:04 am

Stormi wrote:What do you do to get your pup his/her adequete daily exersize?

Sydney - arthritic since 2 years old, now 11 years old loves long walks, minimum of an hour depending on the heat/humidity. I let her set her own pace and stop for breaks, rolling in the grass, sniffing /marking whenever she wants.

Swimming is the best exercise for arthritic dogs (or any dog actually) but we don't have access.
amanda

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:52 pm

In the past, my 13 yr old English Setter, and the 12 yr old GSD (with terrible hips, overweight, and also with degerative myelopathy) - swimming was the absolute best exercise for them

Also what I found was that adding anti-inflammatory/pain meds to their regime helped, because that way we could encourage exercise and therefore muscle maintenance, instead of letting them be reluctant due to pain, and then have muscles wilt...

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:03 pm

err...
that was supposed to be degenerative, lol, not degerative

Dizzy
Adolescent Bully

Postby Dizzy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:11 pm

We do lots of supplements and prophylactic pain meds so that he wants to move, and then slow, easy walks. He also LOVES to swim, and that's even better because it takes more effort than walking, but it's even lower impact.

HersheyBear
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby HersheyBear » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:15 pm

I go at his pace. And hershey is on joint supplements to help with his arthritis. :thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”