Pet food recalls+ Mars (Nutro/Pedigree)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
heather
Addicted to PBF

Pet food recalls+ Mars (Nutro/Pedigree)

Postby heather » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:09 am

http://blogs.trb.com/features/lifestyle ... com_1.html

Breaking news: Nutro parent company recalls some dog food.

> Posted by Diane Lade on August 11, 2008 at 6:07 PM
Mars Petcare US, the company which also manufacturers the recently-scrutinized Nutro foods, has just recalled 100 of its 20-pound bags of Pedigreee Complete Nutrition Small Crunchy Bites, according to ConsumerAffairs.com.

NOTE: None of this food was sold in Florida. It appears to all have come from Albertsons' stores in southern California and the Las Vegas area.

Mars said it issued the recall after a component of the food that tested positive for salmonella was inadvertently shipped to its California plant.The affected bags have "best by" dates of July 7, 2009.

I could find nothing about this on the US Food and Drug Administration Web site. But click here for complete recall info from Mars Petcare.

Consumers have continued to blame Nutro products, also manufacturerd by Mars, over this past year for the illnesses and even deaths of their dogs and cats. One of them, Linda, talked about her experiences with Nutro in a note to SSS! that she posted yesterday. Keep going if you want to read it. She claims both her dogs and cats had serious problems on Nutro that stopped when she switched to Eukanuba.

Feel free to tell us about your experience, too.

Below is Linda's comment from yesterday.

Nutro has been around for years and has always been an excellent product. But I remember opening a new bag of food and the color was darker. The Nutro rep told me they had made changes to the ingredients. That was a few months ago and it seems to be about the time the complaints started.
We have 30 rescued cats (20 ferals) and 4 dogs. We started using Nutro last fall for both the dogs and cats.

We took several cats in for annual exams this year and they'd lost a couple pounds. Our vet was happy because they were on the porky side and needed to lose a little. But Nemo, one of the ferals has been steadily losing weight and we were going to have blood work done on him to see what was wrong. We had been finding bloody stools in the litter pan and thought it might be him. It started to worry me when we took a couple cats in that didn't need to lose weight and they, too, had lost a couple pounds. We also had several cats that were losing the shine to their fur. And our cats were no longer running to the food bowls when it was feeding time. I found I was throwing food out at the end of the day because they just weren't eating it!

Well, amazingly, the cats acted like starving strays when I switched to Eukanuba! No more bloody stool in the litter pans, fur shiny again, and Nemo is eating like he hasn't eaten in months! He's already filling out!

The problem with our cats and dogs is we were seeing different symptoms in them that appeared to be other conditions so we didn't connect it to the food. Max, our Pit Bull, was very ill for 2 weeks after we tried Nutro's Lamb and Rice. Our vet said it was gastritis caused by something he got into and we put him on meds and boiled hamburg and rice. When we started the Nutro Lamb again, he immediately started with vomiting and diarrhea. We took Max off the food thinking he just couldn't handle the lamb. The other dogs were fine so we didn't realize it was the food until Tazz, our German Shepherd, became very sick after Max recovered. We switched to Nutro's Large Breed.

They seemed to be ok on that formula. But Max started having stool problems. Soft, then hard, then soft. Our vet thought because of his age that he might need meds if it continued. Kaiser, another German Shepherd, was having to urinate 10 times a night. If we didn't get to the door fast enough, he'd urinate in the kitchen. We were going to get him in for tests. Tazz started to act disorientated and very unsteady on her feet. Tazz has arthritis and we know we're on borrowed time with her but she acted drunk. Jada, another German Shepherd, and Tazz started eating grass. And they all were drinking lots of water especially the dogs after they ate.

We switched to Eukanuba dog food. The first night after changing food - Kaiser slept all night instead of whining and pacing! When the
other dogs went out, I had to wake him up to go! Tazz is brighter and though she's stiff when she gets up, she's not acting drunk! Max is having normal stools! Jada has stopped eating grass! AND they're drinking normal amounts of water now - not guzzling water like they were dying of thirst. No more vomiting, no more diarrhea, fur is shiny again.

When there is weight loss in EVERY animal in a household, then something is wrong! We've been off Nutro for two weeks and every symptom we were seeing is GONE! I thank God we switched before we lost any of our precious babies!
It breaks my heart to read these stories of lost pets. Something is wrong and we all need answers! The stories I've read on http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/nutro.html have alarmed me terribly! I will never use Nutro again!

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/71093

Pedigree Dog Food Limited Recall
Susan Thixton

Susan Thixton is internationally recognized as the pet food expert helping pet owners understand how to find the safest and healthiest dog and cat foods and treats. She's the author of hundreds of pet industry articles and the 2006 released book Truth About Pet Food (currently being updated for a second edition). She is the publisher of the pet product consumer magazine Petsumer Report. And is a frequent speaker and radio guest all over the U.S. and Canada with more than 70 appearances in the last 2 years.

If you are looking for straight forward pet food information that can have an almost immediate impact on your pet's health - subscribe to the free newsletter, and subscribe to Petsumer Report to see reviews on close to 600 dog and cat foods and treats (adding 40+ each month).

Susan Thixton's 'truth' will help you find a safer, healthier dog or cat food that could add years to your pet's life. http://www.TruthAboutPetFood.com

Susan Thixton
August 11, 2008
Mars Petcare issued a limited recall of Pedigree dog food. The recall is limited to Southern California and Las Vegas, NV. A "component" of the food that tested positive for Salmonella contamination "was inadvertently shipped to our Tracy, California facility and used in the production of 100 bags of PEDIGREE(R) Complete Nutrition Small Crunchy Bites with best buy dates of 07/2009." Products recalled were shipped to California and Nevada.

If you or any pet owners you know that live in the recall area who feed Pedigree dog food, please alert them. Here is the link to the press release of the recall: http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/m ... &dist=hppr

This pet food recall has everything to do with lack of quality control – not specific to Pedigree or Mars Petcare, but specific to the pet food industry itself. Similar circumstances caused the December 2005 dog food recall of Diamond Pet Foods. Just like Pedigree´s Salmonella contaminated component was ´inadvertently shipped´ to manufacturing instead of destroyed, safety procedures at Diamond Pet Foods were in place, they just were not followed. In Diamond´s case it was the detection of a deadly mold that was overlooked. Over 100 dogs died because someone did not follow testing and quality control standards.

AAFCO – American Association of Feed Control Officials – is the organization responsible for the rules of pet food manufacturing. Currently pet food manufacturing quality control guidelines – developed by AAFCO - are only ´recommended´. There are NO uniform nationwide quality control regulations that pet food manufacturers are mandated to follow. This new Pedigree ´limited recall´ and Diamond Pet Foods recall of 2005 (and who knows how many in the future) could have been prevented if AAFCO and the FDA would step up and accept the responsibility to develop and implement uniform quality control standards that every pet food manufacturer is required by law to follow.

Pet owners are left with a side stepping responsibility dance between AAFCO and the FDA. When a problem arises and someone tries to hold them accountable for lack of proper regulations, each organization has their standard reply. AAFCO´s avoidance dance is claiming the organization ´only recommends´ their pet food regulations, ingredient definitions, and manufacturing guidelines to the FDA and each U.S. state´s Department of Agriculture. The FDA´s avoidance dance is typically not enough resources and not enough staff.

Every company regardless if their product is pet food or toilet paper – makes mistakes. However when the product is food for our furry family members, recommended quality control just doesn´t cut it. FDA and AAFCO…perhaps it´s time to stop making recommendations and make some strict laws instead. Perhaps if pet food manufacturing quality control was mandated, along with some stiff penalties and fines for mistakes – fewer mistakes would happen. Whenever there are police equipped with radar guns on the highway, amazingly everyone slows down. It´s time for radar guns in the pet food manufacturing plants.

Wishing you and your pet the best,

Susan Thixton

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:29 am

Return to “Health Issues”