Low-energy pibble

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
RescueAPBT
Matured Bully

Low-energy pibble

Postby RescueAPBT » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:19 am

I'm starting to worry that Isabeau may have something wrong with her. She has never been very high-energy. The first few months, I figured were her honeymoon period. I've had dogs that acted nice and calm when we first brought them home, then once they were comfortable, they let loose. Isabeau has never really let loose.

I try to walk her every day, for 2.5-3 miles. I've been taking her for walks at night when it's cooler. She's never been a puller, always walked nice and slow beside me. Most nights, she starts panting and slowing down about halfway through our walk. She is not excessively panting, or wheezing/coughing, and she doesn't act like she's in pain. It's just like she's already tired out. She walks the rest of the way home, just slowly.

I also take her out in the backyard to play everyday. She'll do zoomies and chase the flirtpole, for about 5 minutes. Then I might get her to retrieve toys for another 5 minutes. At that point, she lays down in the grass, panting away. Once again, not wheezing or coughing, doesn't seem in pain. She just seems completely worn out.

Isabeau is only a little over a year old. She spends most of the day sleeping. I throw her toys around for her in the house a couple times a day, for 5-10 minutes, and then she's back to sleeping. I'm just wondering if anyone else has similarly lazy APBTs???? She's the complete opposite of every other pibble i've known. My mom is always asking if this is normal, if she could have a medical problem. Do you think her lack of energy is something that she should see a vet for???

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:32 am

It certainly wouldn't hurt, just for the sake of peace of mind to have a vet check her heart and give her a thorough going over.

Then if everything checks out OK...send her to me!!!!! :))

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:35 pm

I have four very lazy, low energy dogs. Three are pit bulls-- 2 five y/o males and a three & half y/o female. They are content laying around on the couch and cuddling all day, and maybe a quick romp in the yard twice a day.
:dunno:
Everyone here makes fun of my dogs because they are such couch potatoes.

If you are worried, you could have her checked out to be safe.

jenn&aala
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jenn&aala » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:55 pm

I agree, take her in just to give you piece of mind. But my Aala is a little over a year two and she'll fetch a stick for maybe 5 minutes then goes and lays down to chew on it. The only way I can get her to run around in her new backyard without another dog is to play "I'm gonna get you" and chase her. Otherwise, she's content to lounge about.

High energy pit bull my donkey. lol

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:19 pm

rufus is the same.. his idea of exercise is 20 minutes running around and 4 hours napping after.. he has always been like this since a pup.. i love it.. low energy.. my other 2 are spring loaded and on the go all the time...

you can have the vet check her heart and lungs out to make sure there is nothing wrong with her..

eashanna
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby eashanna » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:46 pm

rocky is that way too. i take him to my friends backyard, and zoomies for a bit. then plop he goes... hes not very high energy either.

he does pull on a leash tho.

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:21 pm

I have both sides of the coin....

Marley is super low energy and would be happy if we could put the potty spot a little closer to the front door... I do still walk him a mile or two a day, and play flirtpole and fetch along with yard play time with Carrie.

Carrie runs 5-10 miles a day with me (I bike, she runs), and probably would run for 12 hours a day if we let her... but she is pretty laid back inside the house, as long as she gets tons of exercise.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:43 am

If her weight, heart and thyroid all check out... then you've probably just got yourself a low energy pup!

Return to “Health Issues”