SO over the skin prob. maybe switch back to kibble

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
damienApbt

SO over the skin prob. maybe switch back to kibble

Postby damienApbt » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:21 pm

I've been super busy guys, so I've been MIA lately. However Rod's skin issues have yet to be resolved. The red feet from licking, which started when I switched his raw diets, have not gotten better since I switched back to beef. May be they changed an ingredient or something.
I know, I should try a complete raw diet, but I just dont have the patience for it. Also I would have to expect Linda and the house sitter to be into it too. Any hoo, with 2 dogs now, with similar problems, I'm thinking of switching back to kibble. I'm paying out the arss for raw diets but still having major issues.
I pump them full of Benadryl every day, which I feel pretty bad about, so I've stopped. On a positive note, Olives belly rash is completely gone and she doesn't do the army crawl itchy dance any more. But she's developing the same bumps rod gets.
So their breath is rank, they're itchy, stinky, rod's got red feet and now chest (from laying on wet paws), and rod's laying skid marks like a rock star.

Unfortunately, Olive, who weighs in at 33lbs eats as much as Rod does, who is about 52lb, and still manages to maintain her girlish figure. Damn her high metabolism.

Throw me a bone here. Any suggestions? Should I just start buying chicken thighs/backs and feeding them that? WTF@! A complete raw diet is a bit overwhelming at the moment... weighing portioning, supplementing
etc. etc. ugh.
can you say Natures Variety Prairie brand Kibble? Its definitely cheaper and I cant imagine having worse results than what I have now.

BTW.. Olive is doing great. Her and Rod are great together. She has developed quite the napoleon complex with other dogs. Not very tolerant of growling or yapping dogs. I guess she's spoiled with Rod's passive self.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:06 pm

Have you had either of them tested for environmental allergies?
My girl Sidda has horrible allergies (no improvement on raw) and finally after trying different things for her, we had her tested and put her on allergen shots. They have helped tremendously, but she still has issues from time to time.
I couldn't get the raw right with my dogs, so I switched back to kibble without any issues... and it turned out for the better in the long run. Not to say I wouldn't try raw again, but no time soon.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:10 pm

Allie wrote:Have you had either of them tested for environmental allergies?

I would try this too. What are the chances that two dogs, totally unrelated, would have the same food allergy? Weirder things have happened, but since Rod's issues are new, and didn't resolve once he was put back on the beef, environmental allergies seem like the more logical option.....maybe? :dunno:

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:27 pm

Allie wrote:Have you had either of them tested for environmental allergies?
My girl Sidda has horrible allergies (no improvement on raw) and finally after trying different things for her, we had her tested and put her on allergen shots. They have helped tremendously, but she still has issues from time to time.
I couldn't get the raw right with my dogs, so I switched back to kibble without any issues... and it turned out for the better in the long run. Not to say I wouldn't try raw again, but no time soon.

what do the allergen shots cost about and how often do you give them? if you dont mind me askin.

I'm pretty sure its an environmental allergy. He usually flares up in between seasons, and only once had this foot licking issue last year.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:20 pm

its very possible the ingredients in the NV raw is bothering them both. i would do the allergy testing for airborne allergies to see if they are allergic to anything like house mites, storage mites, dust mites, grass etc.

to do regular prey model raw you buy whole chickens and give them that plus the organs inside, and not much of anything else..

i dont measure my food for the 3 dogs, i wing it literally.. if i buy a chicken that is 1 lb or a little over i will cut it in half and one dog gets half for am and the other half for pm meal.. if i buy a large steak or roast, i cut it in to sections and give them what feels like a lb.. after a while you get the hang of how much they should get.

you can buy ground turkey in 1 lb rolls too, i get those also , those are easy, thaw and feed...

you should give it a try just straight raw not premade.. its CHEAPER buying straight raw vs premade... way cheaper...

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:22 pm

Unfortunately, Olive, who weighs in at 33lbs eats as much as Rod does, who is about 52lb, and still manages to maintain her girlish figure. Damn her high metabolism.

Um, probably should have warned you about that, eh? lol Little piglet lol

Try the Prairie, what have you got to lose? or the chicken. :thumbsup:

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:56 am

Kingsgurl wrote:

Um, probably should have warned you about that, eh? lol Little piglet lol

Try the Prairie, what have you got to lose? or the chicken. :thumbsup:

yeah shes even snorts too lol . The weird thing is I may have to cut back Rod's dose, because he's getting a bit husky.

mr. beefy
Adolescent Bully

Postby mr. beefy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:25 pm

Maryellen wrote:its very possible the ingredients in the NV raw is bothering them both. i would do the allergy testing for airborne allergies to see if they are allergic to anything like house mites, storage mites, dust mites, grass etc.

to do regular prey model raw you buy whole chickens and give them that plus the organs inside, and not much of anything else..

you should give it a try just straight raw not premade.. its CHEAPER buying straight raw vs premade... way cheaper...

I agree. Once you exclude environmental allergens I would switch to a food that's super simple. Like *just chicken* for a couple weeks. Do about 1 lb of wings per dog per day (maybe a little more for Kate Moss).

They may take a little time to get used to eating the bones but the simplicity of ingredients should help the skin (unless you discover it's something outside that's doing them wrong) and the, how to do say, "variation" in the texture of what he's eating should stop Rod's skid marks in their tracks. Because the raw model of eating bones creates poops of changing consistency, it acts as a massage to the anal glands so things get released little by little in the natural process of pooping. How's that for morning meditation!

It sounds harder than kibble but it's not really. And it's way cheaper than pre-made raw. And you don't have to chop, grind, or measure anything, just guesstimate 1 lb per dog per day (more if they're looking skinny, less if they're looking chunky).

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:38 pm

rod used to eat chicken thighs with the bone. I got sick of it. I'll go with the wings diet.
Perdue or Tyson are ok? or should I try something a bit more organic?

mr. beefy
Adolescent Bully

Postby mr. beefy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:43 pm

My dog eats whatever is cheapest at Pak N Save. Obviously organic is best, but if it's fit for human consumption that's good enough in my book (and usually well above what's in kibble)

jenn&aala
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jenn&aala » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Once I asked about some itchiness Aala was having, and one of the vet PBF'ers said that though food allergies are relatively rare, beef and dairy were the most common.

Sorry not much help just thought I'd pass along the info...good luck

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:52 pm

well i bought the wings. I'll have to shop around because they weren't much cheaper. No problem. Its good to start. I'll let you know. Also bought some selsem blue.

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:39 am

Ditto the whole chicken method.

I would not be feeding them a complex diet. One meat, NO veggies, salmon oil for skin inflammation and an egg in the morning (it's chicken) every other morning. (The egg is a Chinese Medicine trick that worked for a friend of mine.)

The problem with the 'manufactured' raw food for dogs with sensitivities is that they are too complicated to diagnose what is causing the problem.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:42 am

there has to be a co op in your area, that is where you get the meat cheapest. the more you buy the less it is.. i get 40 lbs of chicken quarters for $30 with the co op i belong to.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:55 am

How does one go about finding a co-op in their area?

Return to “Health Issues”