WHOA noticed this during her bath - please look

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:30 pm

The key is to read ingredients on the bag. :thumbsup:
SD has tons of soy, corn, and even peanut hulls in it.

MaggielSelah
Adolescent Bully

Postby MaggielSelah » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:33 pm

The Teflon Don wrote:
msvette2u wrote:Nooo sorry. I didn't see that last post.

Beneful has a PRETTY bag. I understand. It LOOKS healthy because of the advertising. Dang. I wish they'd spend half of what they spend on advertising, on quality ingredients!

My parents fed their dog Beneful before I enlightened them ;)

Before we knew which way was up, we used to feed beneful and had a few skin/coat issues as well.

We now feed Diamond Naturals (same people who make the kirkland food) and all is well...

I was talking to a co-worker today whose 8 month old APBT has been having some skin issues...........she feeds Beneful, too.

That's it. Beneful is Evil.

:fire:

MaggielSelah
Adolescent Bully

Postby MaggielSelah » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:37 pm

msvette2u wrote:The key is to read ingredients on the bag. :thumbsup:
SD has tons of soy, corn, and even peanut hulls in it.

Good to know. My nephew has severe life threatening food allergies so I know how to read labels so as to keep him safe (IE - how to read all the various names eggs for example will go by and "may contains" etc..). There's a thread in here isn't there that states the bad stuff, bad fillers in dog food right?

Okay, so what do I need to take to the vet tomorrow? We're seeing the SPCA vet tomorrow (I figure she didn't seem to have these issues when she was with them). When I talked with them, they said any paperwork I could bring would be great.

I wouldn't think pictures (since they'll be able to see her). Should I bring her back pack again with her "weights" (water bottles)?

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:41 pm

i wouldl bring all medical records.

i would maybe tell them about the book bag maybe a picture of it on her..

but thats a personal thing.

but def bring ALL medical records.. recent blood work etc...

MaggielSelah
Adolescent Bully

Postby MaggielSelah » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:48 pm

OlympianAB wrote:i wouldl bring all medical records.

i would maybe tell them about the book bag maybe a picture of it on her..

but thats a personal thing.

but def bring ALL medical records.. recent blood work etc...

:thumbsup:

Everything is in her file so that's not a problem. I'll print out a picture and bring the back pack (but I'll leave it in the car unless they ask). I found out after I bought it, that it's a low quality back pack. Currently saving up for a nice high quality back pack for her that I saw on the Back Pack thread in the Equipment forum.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:01 pm

I fed Beneful, too, and thought I was doing my dogs such a favor. I was horrified when I found out. They had weight/skin issues on it as well.

Hope the vet's visit turns out great. :thumbsup:

MaggielSelah
Adolescent Bully

Postby MaggielSelah » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:06 pm

Beowulf wrote:I fed Beneful, too, and thought I was doing my dogs such a favor. I was horrified when I found out. They had weight/skin issues on it as well.

Hope the vet's visit turns out great. :thumbsup:
]

I'm wondering if anyone has had issues gaining weight on Beneful? I've even tried feeding Maya more, I just assumed it was all the exercise that was why she wasn't gaining weight. She's been at the same weight and the vet has asked that she put on atleast 5 more lbs.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:08 pm

Bloated appearance, I guess.
It's kind of sad.
My parent's dog had skin issues, if I didn't mention it before, his skin isn't as bumpy and irritated as before.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:17 pm

Mine DID gain weight. Or at least when I started feeding raw they lost weight down to what I consider their acceptable weight. My male weighed 60 and now weighs 55. And nothing else changed. Female weighed 44 and now weighs 40. The rescue has never eaten anything but raw at my house so she's the only one that actually gained weight with raw. And she needed to gain a few pounds.

MaggielSelah
Adolescent Bully

Postby MaggielSelah » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:24 pm

Also, since Maya is around 1 (the SPCA aged her at 2 - so um ???) should I be worried about the biking/running that we do twice a day and her joints?

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:37 pm

i personally wouldn't do it for a long period of time w any dog that might be growing..

any reason why the vet put her at 1 instead of the shelters 2..

i work at a shelter and we work hard to put them at thier right age...

if she's not growing, alot..and what not i could see a mile or 2 at a steady pass, not a sprint..

i said with ABD"s in the other thread bc they SHOULD be a larger breed, 75-90lb dogs..not the 35-50lb dogs APBT's are..

and they do grow til 24 months of age typically.

APBT's are usualyl done by 18months.

MaggielSelah
Adolescent Bully

Postby MaggielSelah » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:45 pm

OlympianAB wrote:i personally wouldn't do it for a long period of time w any dog that might be growing..

any reason why the vet put her at 1 instead of the shelters 2..

i work at a shelter and we work hard to put them at thier right age...

if she's not growing, alot..and what not i could see a mile or 2 at a steady pass, not a sprint..

i said with ABD"s in the other thread bc they SHOULD be a larger breed, 75-90lb dogs..not the 35-50lb dogs APBT's are..

and they do grow til 24 months of age typically.

APBT's are usualyl done by 18months.

I think it was because of her teeth being super super white. And the vet said, "she looks young". I'm not sure if there was more to it than that (like perhaps when they took her back and they saw something else). I'm looking at her vet records right now - looks like both the kill shelter the SPCA rescued her from and the SPCA aged her at 2 years (they have her guessed b-day at 5/29/06 - I never noticed that before).

She has been consistently at 42 lbs since we brought her home in June.

Also, I just was reading in another thread - there's a dealer here that says they sell Canidae Chicken and Rice in a 36 lb bag (even though the website says it only comes in a 30 lb bag but what ever) for only $34. It's on my side of town - would this also be a good switch? They said they also carry Salmon oil (but are currently out), Flax Seed oil, and Omega Oils. Could I pick up one of the other oils to get Maya started and then go get a Salmon oil when they come in or should I just wait until the Salmon oil comes in?

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:57 pm

If you need an affordable food, the Kirkland is probably a good choice. Most foods are better than Beneful.

Adding salmon or some sort of cold water fish oil is a good idea. You can also buy fish oil caps marketed for humans, and just break those into the food.

I suspect your dog has fleas. If I were you, I'd consider treating that.

jenn&aala
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jenn&aala » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:13 pm

It could be a combination of the poor quality food and some minor skin conditions short haired dogs are typically prone too.

Aala has had several bouts of hair loss, she was tested for mites, we never once saw a flea, but she would still scratch and scratch, causing hair loss in several areas and she has "skinned knees" too.

Several rounds of antibiotics, a round of steroids, food change from Chicken Soup to California Natural, plus eliminatin beef and dairy products from her diet and we finally got it under control.

Glad you're getting a second opinion, hopefully it's minor and treatable and/or curable. :thumbsup:

MaggielSelah
Adolescent Bully

Postby MaggielSelah » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:34 pm

Sarah wrote:If you need an affordable food, the Kirkland is probably a good choice. Most foods are better than Beneful.

Adding salmon or some sort of cold water fish oil is a good idea. You can also buy fish oil caps marketed for humans, and just break those into the food.

I suspect your dog has fleas. If I were you, I'd consider treating that.

Here in Vegas? Wow, I've never heard of them here. (But I guess they know now bounds.) Why wouldn't the vet have caught that though? She's been in as recently as like two weeks ago. :(

Return to “Health Issues”