Another food question.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:42 pm

Have you looked at California Natural?

http://www.naturapet.com/brands/california-natural.asp

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:24 am

Hmmm...the Wellness Core looks a little high in protein for V....she's actually not that active...

The Clifornia Natural Lamb or chicken meal & rice looked interesting...but they're not sending out samples.

I hate to buy a bag...even a little bag...because if Veronica doesn't like the taste...she won't eat it.

Really, she won't. She's very stubborn...and I don't have the heart to starve her into submission. :frown:

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:06 am

Jazzy wrote:Hmmm...the Wellness Core looks a little high in protein for V....she's actually not that active...

The Clifornia Natural Lamb or chicken meal & rice looked interesting...but they're not sending out samples.

I hate to buy a bag...even a little bag...because if Veronica doesn't like the taste...she won't eat it.

Really, she won't. She's very stubborn...and I don't have the heart to starve her into submission. :frown:

Jazzy,

They will send you a butt-ton of samples! :) Just go to www.naturapet.com and click on contact us, and tell them you want samples. I asked and they sent me like 4 sample bags of everything I asked for.

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:47 am

I think they've gotten pretty popular, because this is what it says now on the "contact us" form:

Natura Pet Products is not offering samples at this time. Due to the overwhelming number of requests for coupons, fulfillment of coupons may take longer than the usual 3-4 weeks.

:frown: .

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:53 am

Aw I'm sorry!

I can tell you that many picky dogs do like the Lamb & Rice. My ridiculously finicky Papillon ate it when he had a bout of colitis, and he walks away from some treats (lol).

It's actually pretty cheap too, so it may be worth getting a bag and trying it. I do know that Natura will take back any food even if your dog just doesn't like it. You can contact them and they will send you a shipping thing in the mail and you send it to them (free of charge) and they will send you a complete refund in exchange. They also have a deal worked out w/ most pet stores, so if you can get Cal. Nat. in your area, you can take it back to the store and give you a refund, and they send it back to the company (saves you the trouble).

Trust me, with my picky little dog, I've been down this road! lol

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:19 pm

I suppose I could always give it to someone too, if she doesn't like it.

I just feel funny about, "Hi, want an open bag of dog food?"

I'm so paranoid...I think, gosh, what if their dog coincidentally gets sick and they blame me and my opened bag of dog food. :oops: lol .

Amie

Postby Amie » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:27 pm

Shelters will take anything - and they usually mix stuff together, so there would be no way to trace the disease back to you.

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:38 pm

Amie wrote:Shelters will take anything - and they usually mix stuff together, so there would be no way to trace the disease back to you.

Well...that's good to know.

I think.

I never even thought to offer a shelter an opened bag of dog food...I've thrown out quite a bit over the past 2 years. :sad:

meginok
Bully Ambassador

Postby meginok » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:32 pm

http://www.healthwisepetfood.com/produc ... asp?id=543

I have an allergy-prone dog. We do the same thing...stay away from "known" problems (RICE!) and stay away from "suspected" problems (all ingredients returned on the ELISA blood allergy testing).

We feed Healthwise Lamb and Oatmeal, and we're really happy with how both dogs do on it. Two cups a day per dog (60 pounds each, relatively high energy) keep them at a desired weight. Both dogs totally chow down, but my dogs are NOT finnicky. The formula I feed has barley, but I've linked to the chicken and oatmeal formula above. Doesn't appear to have any of her triggers.

Unfortunately, it, too, is a Natura product (like Cali Natural), so they probably won't provide samples. The price just went up, too, so I think it's just under $1/lb when I buy the 35 lb bag.

Good luck!

Return to “Health Issues”