switching food...need some advice

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Shaysmom
Newborn Bully

switching food...need some advice

Postby Shaysmom » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:38 pm

i am thinking about switching my 11 month old from dvp natural balance duck and potato to natures variety. my questions are: is this a good choice..from reading all the threads i havent seen much positive feedback on the duck and potato...and i have seen a lot of positive on natures variety. also, which formula is better? the prairie (which i like cuz it comes in a 30lb bag) or the instict? and i read about a new allergy formula they have but cant seem to find it online. are all of their foods pretty much allergy formulas? any advice u experts can give me will surely help! this had been a long process for me and im just trying to do right by my baby without killing my bank account. thanks in advance..u guys rock! :bowdown:

757 bully
Adolescent Bully

Postby 757 bully » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:31 pm

cant beat innova large breed puppy, thats what my pup is on and he is amazing looking 10.5 weeks, perfect disposition and 21 pounds

DejaPup
Newborn Bully

Postby DejaPup » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:32 pm

I use nature's variety and my dog has done very well on it. Switched over about a month ago. I feed the Prarie version although the Instinct may be slighly superior in that it contains NO grains. Regardless of which you choose you will be getting high quality kibble IMO.

Praire was rated 5 stars and Instinct was rated 6 stars (the highest) on Dog Food Analysis. A website that I have seen cited on this forum many times. Check it out and you can compate for yourself.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food ... .php/cat/1

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:20 pm

I feed Natural Balance. Khan was on the duck and potato, but I switched him to the fish to try and resolve some allergy issues and he is doing great on it!

Shaysmom
Newborn Bully

Postby Shaysmom » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:06 pm

ahhh i dont know what to do...to switch or not to switch...im so confused! thanks for the imput!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:30 pm

I try new foods for my non-allergy dog all the time. My allergy dog has never looked better than he has on the DVP Duck and Potato, but he has true food allergies (to beef) so the DVP allowed us to find the source of his problems, and I haven't switched him since. I LOOOVE the DVP because its simple, wholesome, and it comes with allergy-friendly biscuits!

My other dog has been on California Natural, Purina Pro Plan, Innova, and we're going to be trying Pinnacle as soon as she finishes her current bag.

To be perfectly honest, Sheila never looks any better on any particular food, but about every 3-6 months I decide to try something new... just for fun :D

Monsta
Newborn Bully

Postby Monsta » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:13 am

is there a reason for the switch? If your dog is doing ok on it than stick to it.

Shaysmom
Newborn Bully

Postby Shaysmom » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:26 pm

i was thinking about switching to a higher protein content. tho she is doing well on the duck and potato, i have read that it has a questionable protein content, compared to some others for the same price. so if im spending the money, i just want the best.

Return to “Health Issues”