Stinky Dog

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pjrocco
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Stinky Dog

Postby pjrocco » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:46 pm

In the past month or two my female has become a stinky pooch. Her body has the regular dog smell, but it is extremely powerful. I've also noticed her tummy smells like a dirty/sweaty gym sock too. We've washed her multiple times, but the smell returns in a day or two. I talked to the vet and they told me to keep her clean and dry and see if it goes away.

Anyone have any ideas why she is so stinky lately? There have been no changes to anything.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:53 pm

Is she having any female difficulties? Like urination problems or anything? One of my females had a yeast infection and it was extremely stinky. I'm assuming the vet would have checked that, though.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:29 pm

What are you feeding? I've noticed my dogs smell different on different foods. Sidda smelled HORRIBLE when she was on Wellness Fish formula. Yick.
Also, it could be yeast on the skin, but I would think the vet would have caught that. :dunno:

pjrocco
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby pjrocco » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:50 am

There is no change or anything to her, she looks and acts the same just stinky!

We feed Nature's Variety but she has been on it for over a year and this problem just started.

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:22 pm

Maybe a little yeast buildup on the skin? My lab gets yeasty.. not so bad that she gets itchy or inflamed, she's just smelly. Maybe try a medicated shampoo like Malaseb (works well for us) and see if that helps?

spammie

Postby spammie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:38 pm

Could you maybe be smelling her feet? it has a distinctive frito/corn chip oder.

spammie

Postby spammie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:44 pm

spammie wrote:Could you maybe be smelling her feet? it has a distinctive frito/corn chip oder.

sorry, odor

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:41 pm

Any stress or crazy new activities in her life? Any reason she'd feel edgy?

Piper begins to smell very "doggy" when stressed. Like when my parents' dog Reilly stayed the weekend in our house with us. She tolerated him well, but was not quite herself, and smelled very doggy all weekend. When Reilly went home, she calmed down and smelled like a comfy old sweatshirt again the way she usually does.

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:56 pm

our little girl olive has this problem. Days after a bath she's ripe again. Its related to her skin problems, allergies. Some times it environmental allergies. She gets real itchy and her belly and arm pits stink like dog. Recently someone recommended Selsem Blue as an alternative. i'm about to give that a try. I'll let you know what happens.

Return to “Health Issues”