Spay/Heat timing question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
crazy4pits
Addicted to PBF

Spay/Heat timing question

Postby crazy4pits » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:45 pm

Memphis is scheduled for her Spay on September 6th. She coming into heat.... :po: I know heats can be up to 21 days, less or longer depending on the dog. So will she be in the safe zone by then?

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:40 am

If she's coming in now, she'll be in heat on September 6th. It's up to the vet if they're willing to spay in heat (some do, some don't). Ideally, if you can keep the bitch safely sequestered so she doesn't get pregnant, the best time to spay is a couple months after a season.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:23 am

We've just had two girls in, who were in heat (we did not realize it really) who got spayed, btw, and both did fine.
Some vets will, some won't, some will charge more, some won't.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:40 am

The reason to spay between seasons (if possible) is that the bitch will be hormonally pretty much inert at that time, which is generally considered to be less likely to cause long term issues than spaying while hormones are in full gear.

OTOH, my girl Tully, who I was careful to spay nowhere near a season, has wound up with spay incontinence anyway, so I don't know if it truly matters that much.

crazy4pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby crazy4pits » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:09 pm

Thanks guys. First time I had a spay scheduled and had the bitch come into heat. So wasn't sure. I already dealt with spay incontinence and I think I will wait just in case. That female had come into heat and she was one you couldn't tell, she didn't swell. Vet was suprised also. Told us after the spay.

So we will crate and rotate, keep Gizmo and her in seperate rooms.
Thanks for the tips

Return to “Health Issues”