Purina

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
crazy4pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby crazy4pits » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:42 pm

that should say *contains

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:08 pm

bahamutt99 wrote:I would feed a Purina product to a dog that was starving. But not to one of my own dogs. Last bag of Purina I has was Pro Plan, and I ended up donating it to the animal shelter because our dog was doing so poorly on it.

x2

There are worse things you can feed, but also a lot better things you can feed.

Michael
Super Bully

Postby Michael » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:40 am

Would you feed your kids Rotten Ronnies every day?

That is about the same as feeding yuckagree, Pukrina...yada yada.

I get read some place that the kirkland kibble from costco is made by Diamond, and is the same formula as the natural line?
Anybody know for sure? I know it is made for costco by diamond.

At this time I get my dog food at sams club, the members mark lamb and rice.
It isn't great, but it is a lot better than Pukrina, or yuckagree.

*leenie*
Addicted to PBF

Postby *leenie* » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:12 am

Emma normally eats Kirkland Signature, which is made by diamond. I buy her food, but this time I was short on cash so 3 days ago I asked my dad to get Emma her food. Well her bought her Purina. And by the time I found out the bag was thrown away. Now I dont like the food, but Emma will survive eating it for a month until it runs out and I can get her, her Kirkland. I don't like how corn and wheat are the first 2 ingredients. And meat by-products are like 5th on the list.

Circe
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Circe » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:18 am

If you can get it at a grocery store, it's not worth feeding at all.

Normally true, unless its a store like Whole Foods. I was beyond impressed by the great selection of good pet foods they carry. They even had brands that the Kriser's doesn't carry, and Kriser's is amazing.

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:09 am

Nothing wrong with Purina. If you don't want to feed it that's fine but lets not spread misinformation about it.
http://www.petdiets.com/default.asp?Men ... ingred.asp

Before you start posting sites by people who really have no credible qualifications (dogfoodproject, etc) let me list the qualifications of the person of the site from the link I posted.

Dr. Remillard has been awarded B.S., M.S. and Ph.D. in Animal Nutrition from three different US Universities. She earned a Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine from the Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine in 1987 and became a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Nutrition in 1991. She completed a Postdoctoral Fellowship in Surgical Nutrition at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in 1993. She has been the Senior Staff Nutritionist since 1993 at the MSPCA Angell Animal Medical Center in Boston, a major metropolitan referral hospital serving more than 40,000 dog and cat cases annually.
Dr. Remillard is founder and president of Veterinary Nutritional Consultations, which has been incorporated in Massachusetts since 1993. There are approximately sixty individuals in the world with the combined qualifications of a Ph.D. in animal nutrition, a D.V.M., and Board Certification by the American College of Veterinary Nutrition (DACVN). Her interests primarily lie in the area of nutrient utilization as altered by disease processes. She continues to train veterinary students, interns, residents and provide continuing education to practitioners on the subject of canine and feline nutrition at international conferences.

She served on the Executive Board of the American Academy of Veterinary Nutrition (www.aavn.org) (1999 to 2005) and the American College of Veterinary Nutrition (www.acvn.org) (2000 to 2006). She is considered a legal expert in the field of clinical pet nutrition, has conducted numerous clinical studies at several universities in the actual use of nutritional pet products, and has authored more than 50 publications in the field of nutrition for veterinarians. She has co-edited two editions of a major nutrition textbook, Small Animal Clinical Nutrition, for veterinarians and veterinary students. These textbooks have since been translated into five languages for worldwide distribution. Dr. Remillard has extensive relationships with professionals in veterinary medicine. She has been conversing regularly with veterinarians worldwide as a Nutritional Consultant on the Veterinary Information Network since 1997, and therefore has a wide network of resources and experiences in the practice of veterinary clinical nutrition.

She is not wrong. Nutrition profile is more important than ingredients UNLESS your dog has a food allergy. Only 10% of dogs have food allergies. For those of you who feed Purina and your dog is doing well on it. Don't be pulled in by the false marketing strategy that so many other have been pulled in by. Stay with what works for your dog. Whether it be Purina or what ever else.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:02 pm

chia pit wrote:just a note giant breeds like Danes and Mastiffs should never be fed puppy food u dont want these big guys to grow to fast puppy food causes bone pain in large breeds i use to use pro plan but i switched to purina hi pro which works better for my dogs .

Big time OLD news... This is how they fed large breeds before they knew exactly what was causing the growth abnormalities in large breeds.

It is NOT the protein.... its the fast growth resulting from too much calcium combined with puppies that gain weight too quickly from high calorie foods.

Large breed puppy foods contain the decreased fat content for moderate calories, decreased calcium to slow bone growth without deficiencies, and the amount of protein ALL puppies need for growth.

ALL PUPPIES need a minimum of 25% protein, very few adult foods (except super-premiums or all life stages) contain enough protein for puppies.

Many high protein and all-life stages foods contain too much calcium for large breeds.

Feeding large breeds is much more complicated than just picking any old adult food!!!

Return to “Health Issues”