silly question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
kristakmj
Pit Bull Forum Addict

silly question

Postby kristakmj » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:44 am

Okay I have never dealt with a "picky eater"

The girl I adopted from the shelter her coat is looking better but I would like to put a couple pounds on her , i know genetics make up how thier body is built but you can almost see her ribs.

She seems to eat a little bit but has yet to clear her bowl since i have had her, I have tried putting HUMAN gravy on it , canned food plain and mixed in with kibble, adding water to the food . I asked the shelter what they were feeding her they said pedigree i even tried that . i am waiting to hear back from the vet .

Even peanut butter she seems to turn her nose up to . she goes in next week to see the vet , at first i though it was being in a new place but its been almost 2 weeks . so I am stumped. any suggestions?

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:12 am

i know genetics make up how thier body is built but you can almost see her ribs.

Do you have a pic? 'almost seeing rib' doesn't sound too skinny to me. You can see Martin's rib's, depending on how he is moving, but he isn't too thin.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:47 am

How long have you had her?
How long do you give her to eat?
How many times a day do you feed?
How often do you give treats, kongs, chews etc?

I give picky eaters 20min to finish their food. If they don't, they wait till dinner (or breakfast whichever is next). It can take a week or two to get a very finicky dog on schedule.

I too would be interested in pics. All of my dogs have visible ribs when they move a certain way and are at a healthy weight.

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:00 pm

Yup, you can see Oscar's ribs, too, and he's not too thin at all.

I wouldn't coddle her with gravies and things like that, it just enables her. Try the limited mealtimes that Merri suggested.

kristakmj
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kristakmj » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:23 pm

merriterrier wrote:How long have you had her?
How long do you give her to eat?
How many times a day do you feed?
How often do you give treats, kongs, chews etc?

I give picky eaters 20min to finish their food. If they don't, they wait till dinner (or breakfast whichever is next). It can take a week or two to get a very finicky dog on schedule.

I too would be interested in pics. All of my dogs have visible ribs when they move a certain way and are at a healthy weight.

i am moving this week , while i have my camera out i dont have all the cables to attach it to the pc out so no pics .

she gets 20 to 30 minutes ( my boys get 15 minutes before foods picked up )

i am moving this week , while i have my camera out i dont have all the cables to attach it

she gets fed 2x a day about 6 hours apart

i am not a big treat person i would say they all prolly get 3 or 4 treats a WEEK. no kongs or bones for her yet . remember she is still in 2 week shut down .

ok let me reclarify it isnt just her rib bones you can see a bump ( for lack of better word ) where her hip bones should be . i know what you guys are talking about and she isnt tone, she is too skinny . in fact PBF taught me that with kilo , just cause you can almost see ribs doesnt make them too skinny . but its her hip bones as well .

i dont try to "coddle" , maybe thats what im doing. it almost seems to me since she gets so excited over seeing human plates that whomever had her before the shelter either fed her or she snuck human food .

anyways thanks for the answer s

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:25 am

Perhaps try spreading out the feeding times a little more?

My dogs get fed every 10-12 hours or so. Once in the AM and once in the PM.

When we first got Lexus, she was really finicky for about a week...wouldn't touch her food. I'd leave it down for about 20 mins, if she didn't eat it, I dumped it back in the bin. I guess she got hungry enough and finally ate. Just give her some tough love, don't doctor up the food (or she'll come to expect it) and she'll come around. Dogs won't starve themselves.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:03 pm

L Boogie wrote:Just give her some tough love, don't doctor up the food (or she'll come to expect it) and she'll come around. Dogs won't starve themselves.

I was going to say the same thing. Like my dad used to say when I wouldn't eat spinach "You must not be very hungry." If she's hungry, she'll eat with no gravy or extras.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:16 pm

L Boogie wrote:Perhaps try spreading out the feeding times a little more?

My dogs get fed every 10-12 hours or so. Once in the AM and once in the PM.

Agreed.

I feed every 12 hours.

Good Luck!

Return to “Health Issues”