Chronic yeast/fungal infections in nails

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pjrocco
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Chronic yeast/fungal infections in nails

Postby pjrocco » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:08 am

So in the year and eight months my male has been on this earth we have struggled with his nails, mainly his back paws. He has been to the vet numerous times for the same issues and it's the same song and dance. Meds for a couple weeks, his nails somewhat improves and then a month or two later same thing. Nails are brown and start to break and wear down to nubs. We've been on the meds, done the apple cider vinegar, special shampoos and he has been on gelatin tabs for a month now.

It's been about three months since his last vet visit for his nails and they are so short the quick is about to show. I'm reluctant to bring him to the same vet since I know they are going to charge me about $150 and give me the same shampoo and 10 days worth of meds. Is there anything I can do at home to help, or should I just find another vet and get their opinion? Should I ask them to check anything else that would cause these issue, blood work, etc.?

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:38 am

a chronic yeast/fungal infection sounds like allergies of some sort.. has he been tested for airborne allergies? if not, its worth a shot to see what is going on.. he might not have the regular symptoms of chewing his feet, or scratching, but maybe he is allergic to something due to the chronic yeast... normally chronic yeast infections means an allergy or secondary infection of some sort, if you are giving him meds and then it comes back once off the meds it could be a secondary infection that needs to be treated for at least 30 days instead of a few weeks, and to find out what is going on... some dogs too with the ACV will actually produce more yeast .... i cant give my gsd ACV as her yeast doubles and builds up more .....

i would find another vet for a second opinion..

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:40 am

Check the carb content of your dog food. Just as with people, too many carbs can cause problems with the internal flora (the good and bad stuff).

pjrocco
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby pjrocco » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:47 am

El_EmDubya wrote:Check the carb content of your dog food. Just as with people, too many carbs can cause problems with the internal flora (the good and bad stuff).

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
Crude Protein (min): 26.0%
Crude Fat (min): 14.0%
Crude Fiber (max): 3.9%
Moisture (max): 10.0%

INGREDIENTS:
Venison Meal, Millet, Oatmeal, Barley, Canola Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Pumpkinseeds, Montmorillonite Clay, Natural Lamb Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Beta Carotene, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Sea Salt, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite), Chicken Liver, Inulin, Amaranth, Quinoa, Blueberries, Cranberries, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Freeze Dried Venison, Pineapple, Rosemary Extract, Sage, Freeze Dried Lamb Hearts, Freeze Dried Lamb Liver, Apples, Carrots, Ground Lamb Bone, Butternut Squash, Ground Flaxseeds, Chicken Eggs, Broccoli, Lettuce, Spinach, Dried Kelp, Salmon Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Parsley, Honey, Alfalfa Sprouts, Persimmons, Olive Oil, Duck Eggs, Pheasant Eggs, Quail Eggs, Sage, Clove

OTHER NUTRITIONAL DATA
Calcium (min): 2.00%
Phosphorus (min): 1.44%
Vitamin E (min): 128.8 IU/kg
Vitamin C* (min): 50 mg/kg
Omega 6 Fatty Acids* (min): 2.21%
Omega 3 Fatty Acids* (min): 0.44%

VITAMINS
Carotene: 5.72 mg/kg
Vitamin A: 19556 IU/kg
Vitamin D: 2430 IU/kg
Vitamin E: 128.8 IU/kg
Ascorbic Acid: 50 mg/kg
Thiamine: 13.14 mg/kg
Riboflavin: 8.53 mg/kg
Pantothenic Acid: 19.56 mg/kg
Biotin: 0.48 mg/kg
Folic Acid: 0.40 mg/kg
Choline: 2955 mg/kg
Vitamin B12 0.10 mg/kg
Vitamin B6 4.4 mg/kg
Niacin: 63.39 mg/kg
Iodine: 3 mg/kg

MINERALS
Sodium: 0.41%
Potassium: 0.67%
Chloride: 0.93%
Magnesium: 0.34%
Sulfur: 0.19%
Manganese: 31.42 mg/kg
Iron: 261.40 mg/kg
Copper: 15.48 mg/kg
Zinc: 268.70 mg/kg
Selenium: 0.30 mg/kg

AMINO ACIDS
Methionine-Cystine: 0.65%
Methionine: 0.36%
Cystine: 0.29%
Lysine: 1.04%
Tryptophan: 0.26%
Threonine: 1.38%
Isoleucine: 0.91%
Histidine: 0.32%
Valine: 1.24%
Leucine: 1.62%
Arginine: 1.46%
Phenylalanine-Tyrosine: 0.993%

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:22 pm

There's a lot of different carbs in there...
Have you tried Newman's Duck/Potato brand? It helped with our allergy girl.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:22 pm

msvette2u wrote:There's a lot of different carbs in there...
Have you tried Newman's Duck/Potato brand? It helped with our allergy girl.

errr sorry, that's DVP : http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/PandD.html

pjrocco
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby pjrocco » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:52 pm

It took me about six months and four different foods to find one he was not allergic too. Doh!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:08 pm

VERY FEW dogs with allergies have true food allergies. If you want to play the odds, your dog should be tested for environmental allergies first.

Are you aggressively treating the infection with malaseb or another anti-fungal? You need to treat the feet daily with a wipe or spray and really work the medication into the nail beds. The yeast are a normal resident of the skin, so it takes time and effort to beat the infection back, and then you need to treat the underlying cause.

Return to “Health Issues”