Taste of the Wild Dog Kibble

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Pete
Super Bully

Taste of the Wild Dog Kibble

Postby Pete » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:14 pm

Anyone using it? I feed my dogs Timberwolf and they do great on it. I was talking to lady at the store I buy it from and she said that they are discontinuing Timberwolf due to lack of distribution. I hear this a lot from the retailers in the Phx area who used to carry Timerwolf. At this point there is only 1 place I can buy it now and even they complain about how poorly Timberwolf's manufacturing and distribution is. The store owner also said Timberwolf made some adjustments to their formulas and she didn't like what they did.

She told me Taste of the Wild is the new best thing and she is recommending it to all her customers who used to buy Timberwolf from her. She is done with Timberwolf and this is her new alternative.

I was just curious if anyone has any idea about it and if it's good.

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/

Thanks

Luvabully
Adolescent Bully

Postby Luvabully » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:48 pm

I don't feed it personally but that's only because it's not available in my area. I would feed it though. It looks to be a high quality food.

u-turn
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby u-turn » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:16 pm

my dog has been on totw for about 6 months and i like it.. soft coat, poops dont smell as bad and they both seem to have tons a energy.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:18 pm

My dog has done really well on it (I feed the Pacific Stream formula). It seems pretty common for everyone to go through a bit of trial and error in finding the right food. I was actually given a bag by a sympathetic pet store employee (they're not supposed to give out free trials of the premium stuff) who also owns a pit bull with some dietary issues. He went through many different foods before settling on Instinct, also a high quality, grain-free food.

If it's easily available in your area, buy a small bag and start transitioning your dog to it. It does take several weeks of adjustment/observation to see if the new food will work but I'd rather buy a 5lb or 10 lb bag to try instead of getting stuck with a 30lb or 40lb bag if it doesn't work.

Pete
Super Bully

Postby Pete » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:46 pm

Yah, the lady gave me about 8 or so bags of the trial pkgs. I have quite a bit of it to transition them. I just want to make sure it is as good as Timberwolf, if not hopefully better. My dogs do great on TW and I don;'t wanna switch em if the food isn't as good.

Energy def isn't an issue here, lol.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:13 pm

I'm feeding it right now because my one dog is laid up on crate rest and it's relatively low in calories. They're eating the salmon flavor and they're doing great on it. The lower calories can be either good or bad, depending on your dog. When Luce isn't laid up, I prefer something higher in calories.

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:09 pm

My dogs eat it...we tried the Prairie formula, and the dogs were itchy, but we switched to the Wetland formula, and they do great on it.

buster!brown
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buster!brown » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:27 pm

I switched Buster over about a month ago - he's on the roasted water fowl one and his poop does seem to be less stinky and not as bulky. :yucky:

lol It seems to be really good food - all I know is when I get home from my morning run at 5:30 a.m. and Buster hears me get his bowl, he wakes his lazy but right up and comes to wait for his delicious yummy food! :)

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:41 pm

I tried the Pacific stream formula on Tess, because I thought she might have food sensitivities, and I wanted a hypoallergenic diet. The Pacific stream is a fish/potato diet, which fills that bill, and has the added bonus of not being as low in protein/fat as so many of the fish/potato diets are.

Tess did well on it, but I decided she didn't have a food sensitivity, so she is back on the Dog Lover's Gold with my other dogs, which I can buy for a lot less money. (I saw the TOTW being marketed fairly inexpensive on the internet, but then there's shipping. It's available at a store a couple miles from my house, but I paid about $25 for a 15 pound bag.)

artemiss
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby artemiss » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:57 pm

we feed it and love it. Both the greyohund and my pit bull are doing amazing on it.

It was the first nonprescription food I could feed Kira.

Pete
Super Bully

Postby Pete » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:51 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I am still up in the air on whether to take em' off Timberwolf or not. Until I cannot find it anywhere anymore at least. It's good to know I this to fall back on. Nutrition wise, I am still not sure which is better. That's what I need to research.

Return to “Health Issues”