How much & how often?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Kojaksmom
Newborn Bully

How much & how often?

Postby Kojaksmom » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:26 pm

Re my Introduction,

My fiance & I have rescued a neglected Pit Bull/Boxer mix & he's pretty malnourished, apparently he's like 12lbs under weight - he's certainly ravenous! God knows the last time this poor soul had a really decent meal.

We don't want him going totally nuts obviously but we're not exactly sure how often & how much we should be feeding him? Bearing in mind we want to pack that weight back on him.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:49 pm

If you're trying to put healthy weight on, I'd give him smaller more frequent meals - maybe feed him four times a day if you can, rather than once or twice. Feeding him too much at one time might cause vomiting among other things.

amelie
Matured Bully

Postby amelie » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:42 pm

do you have a picture of him? how much depends on the type (quality, protien/fat %, etc) of food, the size of the dog, and how underweight he actually is. how often? i would feed 2 x' a day, unless he is so skinny his stomach has shrunken and can only hold a small amount. the more times a day you feed, the more the metabolism kicks in, the more the metabolism is working, the more calories he will burn, the longer it will take to put on weight. we took a boxer from a lady (she was going to dump him at the pound) a few years ago that was SO skinny, i was surprised he was alive, it took a while for him to look "normal" at first i fed 3 x's a day, he could only hold a cup or two at a time, then after 2 weeks fed 2 x's a day and continued that. also dewormed him, cought him up on shots, and took care of the nasty frostbite he had on his ears and lips, and nose (he was kept outside on a chain, in a plastic doghouse, in the winter, in interior alaska where the temp regularly falls to 30-40F below zero)

Kojaksmom
Newborn Bully

Postby Kojaksmom » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:52 am

No photo's yet I'm afraid, perhaps this weekend though.

He is a big boy, he's 58lbs (28kg) just now but he's still skinny you know? The Vet said (like I have already) he was 12lbs underweight.

His stomach definitely hasn't shrunk by the way he's eating right now, but I am worried about feeding him too much & like an above poster said, causing him to vomit & such.

I have a Boxer dog at my parents house (back in bonnie Scotland) & they feed her a big cup of dry food once a day. She's 36kg by the way - she's MASSIVE!

We're going to try him on twice a day on a good quality food & try to get him into a bit of a routine about it all I guess. We're a bit all over the place right now! roflmao

Anyway, thanks for the help so far.

Luetya
Super Bully

Postby Luetya » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:22 pm

A pit that's 58 lbs. and underweight?!?! You know the breed standard calls for 35 to 60 lbs, right? He's only 2 lbs under the max! You sure it's a pit and not a pressa or dogo or something?

amelie
Matured Bully

Postby amelie » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:11 pm

i think it is a boxer/pit bull mix, boxers are pretty big.

lauren99
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby lauren99 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:16 pm

A pit that's 58 lbs. and underweight?!?! You know the breed standard calls for 35 to 60 lbs, right? He's only 2 lbs under the max! You sure it's a pit and not a pressa or dogo or something?

Hes prob a Pit X...My guy is a cross and he is 75 pounds

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:58 pm

Kojaksmom wrote:We're going to try him on twice a day on a good quality food & try to get him into a bit of a routine about it all I guess.

The sooner you can get into a routine with him, the better. If he's been starved, he made need to relearn that there will be a reliable food source. That will help with any gulping/vomiting issues he might have as well.

Good luck - keep us updated!

Return to “Health Issues”