Food Variety Question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
buster!brown
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Food Variety Question

Postby buster!brown » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:02 pm

Buster's on the roasted water fowl Taste of the Wild. I was wondering if you have to follow the "switching food" steps if you're switching between the same brand, but different variety. I ask becasue I've noticed the store I buy TotW from seems to run out of the roasted water fowl but not the Pacific Stream.

Thanks! :)

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:07 pm

It all depends on the dog. My little guy can be switched to any food any time with no problems, but Falon gets the runs if you try to switch anything at all abrubtly (even between brands).

If you are unsure of how your dog will react and want to try a cold-turkey switch, try adding some whole yogurt or a digestive enzyme supplement...it certainly can't hurt. :)

pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby pacopoe » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:14 pm

If I ever have to switch a dog suddenly I'll do a 24 hour fast.

Remember that while it's a "flavor" to us it's actually a different protein source for the dog so, depending on your dog's tolerance, they may need the time to adjust.

As mentioned above, it wouldn't hurt to add a little yogurt when doing do ;)

spammie

Postby spammie » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:49 pm

Like the others have suggested, it's better to transition slowly to a different type of food, even if it's the same brand. It will avoid the splarts :tongue:

buster!brown
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buster!brown » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:10 pm

spammie...splarts roflmao - that is so gross

Thanks for the info - I'll be sure the do it slowly and use the yogurt (ha! that's what she said! lol ) I mean I'll transition the food variety slowly if I can't find the right variety at the store!

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:12 pm

I would still transition slowly since the ingredients are different. Also, if I remember correctly, the Pacific Stream formula has a lower crude protein amount than all the others but the kcals per cup are fairly close.

buster!brown
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buster!brown » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:31 pm

Yeah, I just looked up the ingredient differences...it looks like they're almost different types of diets all together. I guess I'll have to make sure I stock up on the roasted water fowl when I see it in store!

jrsapbt
Adolescent Bully

Postby jrsapbt » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:46 pm

If you are going to add yogurt, add it to the current food first to see if he has a reaction to it. You don't want to add 2 new food items at the same time. You won't know which caused the reaction.

bullheaded
Matured Bully

Postby bullheaded » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:14 pm

I feed Natures Variety which also has the different protein sources. We were told(I think by the rep) to rotate the protein sources but NOT to mix them together. I don't remember why though.

Return to “Health Issues”